PDA

View Full Version : Stupid television. Leave me alone.

SpookyWriter
02-02-2007, 10:34 PM
I admit it, I watched too much television this week and now have a (bad) stomach ache. There's this younger guy on cable who's really talking stuff from the left side of his mouth that I stared for ten minutes before realizing that he was criticizing the media for not doing enough to report on the issues of Iraq. Huh? Did I hear him correctly? I had the same thoughts a week ago and found his choice of words and topic refreshing.

I'm not about to go getting myself into another debate about the media, so I'll get back to that dang television problem.

The gluttony of shows filled me with so much junk that now I'm in a little discomfort. Tonight I'm going to hook up my computer and go back to writing again. Hopefully, I'll be strong enough to resist the urges and keep that black box quiet tonight. If the desires get too strong then I'll just cup my hands over my ears and sing a song "Somewhere over the rainbow..."

Now back to oz...

Kate Thornton
02-02-2007, 10:59 PM
Please come take all those home improvement and cooking shows away so I can write. But not Alton Brown. Or Candace Olson. Or.....

Oh, shoot - I'm addicted.

WildScribe
02-02-2007, 11:03 PM
This is why I don't have a TV. I spent a day at my mom's, and watched hours and hours of Discovery Channel. No TV for me! (at home...)

SpookyWriter
02-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Please come take all those home improvement and cooking shows away so I can write. But not Alton Brown. Or Candace Olson. Or.....

Oh, shoot - I'm addicted.Who? :Shrug: I usually watch a couple shows during the week which are entertaining and PBS when there are interesting topics discussed. But this week I sat for hours watching shows I've never seen before and by 8:00pm last night I was ready to toss the t.v. out the door.

I can't imagine how people manage to spend so much time watching television.

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
I can't imagine people who don't watch tv.

There's lots of wonderful programming on tv and much of it I try not to miss. If I do miss it, I DVR it so I can watch it later.

That said, tv doesn't interfere with my writing.

SpookyWriter
02-02-2007, 11:16 PM
I can't imagine people who don't watch tv.I'm sure there are people who don't own a t.v. and I'm sure there are people who either don't watch t.v. or limit the number of programs each week.

Television can become addictive, a distraction, and is blamed as the absentee parent (baby sitter) by some folks.

Kate Thornton
02-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Alton Brown does a cooking show called Good Eats and Candace Olson does a decorating show with a very cook jazz scat theme song.

I love looking in other peoples' houses and refrigerators!

SpookyWriter
02-02-2007, 11:19 PM
I love looking in other peoples' houses and refrigerators!I do too, but it's more fun to do it when they're not home. Just don't get caught. :D

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 11:42 PM
I'm sure there are people who don't own a t.v. and I'm sure there are people who either don't watch t.v. or limit the number of programs each week.

Television can become addictive, a distraction, and is blamed as the absentee parent (baby sitter) by some folks.
Because television is an easy target. It's easier to blame television for societal woes then to actually dig deeper and see what the real issue is.

TV is a box. Neither good nor evil.

BenPanced
02-02-2007, 11:56 PM
My TV is jealous of the writing time I spend away from it. It's personally destroyed two Mac Powerbooks.

It doesn't know what to make of the AlphaSmart Neo just yet. Thank ghod.

dclary
02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
Charlie Brown and Linus on beanbags in front of the TV

LINUS
A new report says TV is harmful to children. Do you think they are?

CHARLIE BROWN
I don't know. I've never had one fall on me.

maestrowork
02-02-2007, 11:57 PM
I have Tivo, so my TV doesn't rule me -- I rule it. Sometimes I don't even watch it for days, or even weeks.

Cath
02-02-2007, 11:59 PM
A lot depends what you watch, I think.

Like Ray, I have Tivo - so I record my favorite shows and watch them when it's convenient to me.

That said - daytime tv is such a brain killer, there isn't much I'd choose to watch anyway.

Freckles
02-03-2007, 12:04 AM
I have Tivo, so my TV doesn't rule me -- I rule it. Sometimes I don't even watch it for days, or even weeks.

I like your attitude, Ray! Once we learn to rule the TV, life becomes a whole lot simpler. :)

I've got a DVR and I'm in looooooove....

Unique
02-03-2007, 12:11 AM
Ex-Lax.

I recommend using the whole box. You'll be busy in another room and have no time for television.

KCathy
02-03-2007, 12:36 AM

This, in a nutshell, is why I CAN'T have TV service (although I do have a set-up for watching movies). I'm like an alcoholic who has to keep all alcohol out of the house, period, because when I have cable, all I do is watch it. Also, I know the temptation would be overpowering to park Thing 1 and Thing 2 (my toddlers) in front of "educational" television shows laced with advertising that teaches them to eat hamburgers and buy screaming plastic toys. Not that any of those things are inherently evil in small doses, but I would be faaaaaar too tempted to let one hour stretch to four, especially on those teething/potty training/unexplained all-day whining days.

My family's decision to quit cable happened when my husband and I lost power during a storm while watching something inane one night in 2000. After a discussion about all the time we were wasting staring at this empty box, we quit television for good. Ironically, people now feel the need to explain why it's okay for them to watch, not realizing that it's because I'm WORSE than they are about watching mindless television, not because I'm self-righteous about how I've quit.

CheshireCat
02-03-2007, 01:18 AM
I think for those of us who write commercial fiction, and most particularly if we live fairly solitary lives, as many of us do, TV and movies and books and magazines help us keep our fingers on the pulse of popular culture.

I watch the bad with the good, or at least check out those highly-rated shows I personally don't care about; lots of people clearly do enjoy them, so I check them out.

Also, for those of us who are as old as dirt, watching shows featuring Young People *sighs* can help us keep abreast of slang and fashion and all the other stuff a writer should be soaking up to enrich our work with believeable details.

All that said, daytime TV is mostly horrible unless you find some good documentaries on the History Channel or Discovery Channel, and I despise reality shows -- with only a couple of exceptions -- but there is some genuinely good scripted stuff out there now.

If I hadn't watched TV, I never would have discovered the work of Chris Carter, or Joss Whedon, or Aaron Sorkin, or JJ Abrams -- or Gene Roddenberry or Joe Strazynsky (I know that isn't spelled right!).

I am a child of TV, parked in front of the old black and white set what seems like eons ago to watch cartoons as a toddler. I grew up watching TV. It didn't warp me; if anything, it helped develop my imagination, and certainly helped give me a sense of story and pacing.

Something to think about.

MidnightMuse
02-03-2007, 01:56 AM
Ex-Lax.

I recommend using the whole box. You'll be busy in another room and have no time for television.

Unless you can see the TV from that room, like I can :D

But, like others, I have a DVR, so I rule the box and decide when I watch what I watch. I wouldn't go without one.

CheshireCat
02-03-2007, 02:53 AM
I meant to add -- having finally gotten myself a DVR, I'm amazed I survived so long without one. Nice to record what I want to see and then watch at my leisure.

And zap through commercials. :)

SpookyWriter
02-03-2007, 03:24 AM
What's a DVR? I know what a DVD player is, but don't recall DVR's. Hmmm...

Jean Marie
02-03-2007, 03:24 AM
Some shows I can't do w/o. I don't have DVR or TIVO. If I want, I will record shows and watch them later; the old fashioned way--VHS. They don't cost any extra :) Cable's expensive enough as is.

I love House. One of my favorites.

It's also a noise thing. Gotta have it. Sometimes, even while writing. I've always been like that. Silence is too loud, on occasion. Weird.

Jean Marie
02-03-2007, 03:26 AM
What's a DVR? I know what a DVD player is, but don't recall DVR's. Hmmm...
DVR's built into your cable and costs an extra $10. a month. It's a memory thing. If you look on your remote, there's a button for it and it's labeled DVR

SpookyWriter
02-03-2007, 03:28 AM
DVR's built into your cable and costs an extra $10. a month. It's a memory thing. If you look on your remote, there's a button for it and it's labeled DVRThe motel I'm staying at gave me a remote but it only has a few buttons and a weak battery. I'm pretty sure they don't have a DVR button on it. :rant:

Jean Marie
02-03-2007, 03:40 AM
The motel I'm staying at gave me a remote but it only has a few buttons and a weak battery. I'm pretty sure they don't have a DVR button on it. :rant:
:cry:Spooky needs a better motel

davids
02-03-2007, 03:44 AM
No tivo-but I had a bum zit once-Mr. Berle's black Hole-a twilight zone episode I wrote starring Uncle Milty!

Foinah
02-03-2007, 04:17 AM
Ah...cathode ray poisoning. Love it!
Sesame Street taught my daughter the alphabet and Zoobomafoo taught her how to count. If only there was program to feed her lunch and then change her nappy;)
All I need now is that robot that will hug her every once in a while and I'm set. :Thumbs:

I'm mostly kidding...I already have the robot.

DVR is the way to go...and on demand programming from the cable company. Great educational kid shows available all of the time...

CBeasy
02-03-2007, 05:39 AM
As a general rule, dislike TV. The only thing I really watch is the History and Discovery channels, Adult Swim, and Scrubs.

JDCrayne
02-03-2007, 05:45 AM
Tsk, tsk, tsk. All of you TV addicts! The only things I watch on television are the six-times-a-year sumo tournaments live from Japan and an occasional disaster on CNN. (I do love seeing Anderson Cooper get nearly blown away by a hurricane.)