Do you tip? How much?

• Total voters

jvc

Fearsome Dragon Mod
Registered
Reaction score
I always give a tip:-

Don't eat yellow snow.

Go to bed with itchy bum, wake up with smelly finger.

Chinese man who walks naked in park going to Bangkok.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I tend to go a little high because my two kids usually make more of a mess than adults do.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Typically, 20%. If the service is great, I'll give more. If the service sucks, the amount can drop. If it really, really sucks, I'll devour the server.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
I'm a 20% tipper, unless the service is actually so abysmal I end up walking out.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I do not believe in tipping. Is it my fault the restaurant is too cheap to pay their people a living wage? I should have to support their wait staff, too?

However, that said, if they are cute they get a good tip. If they are really cute and flirt with me they get a huge tip.

The poll is multiple choice so you can answer both questions. And it's public, of course.

And you're right. I didn't realize it was mutiple choice until after I selected Orlando Bloom.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
In Australia, we don't really have the tipping culture Americans do.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
You guys aren't very good at folllowing instructions. Except Ben.

Buncha writers... *muttering*

*looks at poll again...sees name twice...takes great offence*

eta: realizes he just made an ass out of himself again, and runs and hides.

SC Harrison

Dances With Hamsters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
I always tip, and it's usually well above 20%. For instance, I never tip less than five bucks, even if the meal was only ten or so.

And those of you who think a server should earn their tip using some subjective performance standard like the frequency and earnestness of their smile, or whether they can anticipate the sudden thirst that causes you to drain your glass and start rattling your ice cubes need to get over yourselves.

These folks (usually) are paid well below minimum wage, often around $2.75 hr. Just so they can run their ass off for hours listening to people whine about the difference between Rare and Medium Rare. Gimme a break. Just eat the f**king food and shut up already. :)

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
And those of you who think a server should earn their tip using some subjective performance standard like the frequency and earnestness of their smile, or whether they can anticipate the sudden thirst that causes you to drain your glass and start rattling your ice cubes need to get over yourselves.
Sorry, but that is their job. If they aren't attentive enough their tip goes down. If they rarely visit our table, are slow, seem distracted like we don't matter, etc., then they hardly get any tip at all.

However, if they are smiling and talking to us like they do care, if they're there to fill our glasses when they notice they are low (no clinking!), and they genuinely seem to be attentive, nice people, they get a very good tip accordingly. (AND we speak to management on our way out.)

Not sure what you base your tip on, but if it isn't based on their performance, what should it be based on? It's a job like any other. If I perform poorly at my job I get in trouble. If I perform exceptionally, I get a bonus.

And again, I don't understand why we're suppposed to subsidize their wage because the restaurant is too cheap to pay them a decent wage. I really don't understand why wait staff CAN be paid less than minimum wage. Isn't it called a MINIMUM wage for a reason?

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I almost always tip 20% or more for full service, and about 10% for buffet service. If the service is really not up to par but still okay, (like if I have to ask for more water or something) , I might tip a little less, like 15%. I eat sushi a lot, and I also tip the chef.

Reaction score
I don't believe in tipping. It's up to the manager to pay the waiters' or hairdressers' wages, not me. If they need more money, they should up the charges they display on the price list in the shop window.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
I typically tip 20%, sometimes more, sometimes less. The service has to be exceptional or extremely poor to sway me either way.

The worst service I've ever had was at a Cracker Barrel and I left a nice shiny quarter on the table. That was seven years ago and I haven't dined at a Cracker Barrel since(and Hell will freeze over before I do).

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
IThe worst service I've ever had was at a Cracker Barrel and I left a nice shiny quarter on the table. That was seven years ago and I haven't dined at a Cracker Barrel since(and Hell will freeze over before I do).
It's much better if you leave several pennies under a tipped over full glass of water.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
You guys aren't very good at folllowing instructions. Except Ben.

Buncha writers... *muttering*

I usually tip more than 20%. . . but then again I am in the industry. These people know me. . . the bottom line is that we look out for each other.

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
And again, I don't understand why we're suppposed to subsidize their wage because the restaurant is too cheap to pay them a decent wage. I really don't understand why wait staff CAN be paid less than minimum wage. Isn't it called a MINIMUM wage for a reason?

Minimum wage for servers is $2.13/ hour. . . technically if a during a wage your reported tips make it so you are making less than the $5.15 overall minimum then the restaurant makes up the difference. Servers don't even bother picking up their checks, often it is $0.00. . . I have seen a couple people get $0.07 or something absurd on their checks. . . often they charge their discounted food to the paycheck. . . believe me though, at nice restaurants the server or bartender (who tend to be "managers" and often make a high base wage) are making quite a bit more than the cost of living for their particular area. It is frustrating though when you income is based on the whims of often indolent or ignorant customers. Head waiters at fine restaurants can make very respectable money though, upwards of $50k-$60k. . . In Charlottesville we have a saying, you either have money, or you are really good at taking somebody elses. Those in the middle don't last long.