PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Myspace

CBeasy
02-02-2007, 08:58 AM
Well, I finally broke down and created a Myspace (http://www.myspace.com) profile so I could view some of my friend's pictures. It can be found at http://www.myspace.com/bigcbeasy. I have no friends, which is pathetic, so if anyone wants to be my friend, send me an invite, and also post your Myspace URL in this thread, and perhaps we can have a horribly awful Myspace chain going. I'm sure there's another thread somewhere that's exactly like this one, but it's probably buried pretty far so I'm starting this one.

TsukiRyoko
02-02-2007, 09:03 AM
I got one, and I sent the invite.

kristie911
02-02-2007, 12:00 PM
If I didn't absolutely refuse to jump on the MySpace bandwagon, I'd be your friend. :)

aruna
02-02-2007, 12:03 PM
ugh. Up to now I have absolutelyt refused to be on MySpace but I feel my resolve slowly crumbling. I've got my nose stuck in the air but I feel my eyes rolling around to this and that perfectly nice and respectable and non-teeny peopel with a MySpace.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 04:34 PM
I crumbled a couple of weeks ago, and created this classy masterpiece:

http://www.myspace.com/chunkymonkeypuke

All are welcome to add me - the more myspace friends I acquire, the better I feel about myself. :)

FergieC
02-02-2007, 04:44 PM
I haven't even visited MySpace yet. I feel out of touch, like I'm missing something. I'd check it out now but work blocks it :rant:

Christine N.
02-02-2007, 04:53 PM
I resisted too, until the end of December. I find it really amazing all the people I don't know who friend me. It's a lovely networking tool, IMO. And if you use it to promote your books, being able to send a bulletin to all your friends at once without having to keep an address book is pretty convenient.

My link is at the bottom of the post. Go ahead, friend me.

aruna
02-02-2007, 04:59 PM
I will, as soon as I get back to it. Yep, I just created a Myspace. I'll post my link later.
Two things broke me down:
1. Agent Nathan Bransford's MySpace, which I just checked out and found really nice
2 I searched with my own name on MySpace and found 20 people had listed my book among their favourites! That knocked me over,. Along with books like
To Kill a Mockingbird! The funy thing is that many of those people are quite differnt to thekind of person I imagine as reading my books. Iimagine older, stable women. Many of my MySpace "fans" seem to be quite quirky teenagers. Anyway, I'm going to friend them all.

poetinahat
02-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Yep, sucked in as well. There's at least one AW network building over there, and, over in the Ask the Agent thread, Nathan Bransford's had this (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1095265&postcount=7) to say about myspace as a networking and marketing tool for writers.

Just in case you needed justification, of course.

Celia Cyanide
02-02-2007, 05:26 PM
I can't believe how little will power you people have!

I don't have a myspace, and I don't need a myspace, and I don't care what anybody says. I hate listening to people tell me how myspace will "help" me. Help me what? I don't need to collect a bunch of fake friends who couldn't give a toss about me, and I don't need to list and catalogue the friends I already have.

I have a profile at modelmayhem.com and livemansion.com, but those are professional sites. I hate myspace more with every passing day. Especially when I hear about all the crap my friends (meaning, people I know and talk to, not people who's friends request I accepted) have to put up with on there.

ATP
02-02-2007, 05:48 PM
Can someone help educate this member on the difference/s between myspace and a blog? Are they greatly different?

I understand that a number of blogs are actually 'hybrids' - a cross between a website and a blog.

Cannot a blog serve the same purpose eg.a hybrid of a cross between a blog and myspace?

When Nathan mentions that he favours the networking element, why can't this be achieved with a blog? Ostensibly it would seem so...

truelyana
02-02-2007, 05:49 PM
I've just checked you out. Nice page.:D

I don't intend on creating one myself. I wouldn't find any use in it. :)

Little Red Barn
02-02-2007, 05:57 PM
Cbeasy, I tried to leave you a word but I can't navigate there, and I better not, but here is a big hug for you *HUGS*
your friend kimmi

Vincent
02-02-2007, 06:02 PM
I've been avoiding it, thinking it was all a bunch of 13 year old girls. But then I learnt that Nathan Fillion has a myspace page. And you know, he's cool. So now I don't know what to believe.

aruna
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM

It's not about willpower. I am hoping to have a novel coming out in a year or two; I messed up the last time by not doing ANY promotion whatsoever. I have sworn to do it better this time; and for me, promotion wil always mean woring at the grassrotos level. Coming out of my cave, meeting people, getting the word out, So, you see, itis all about business!

It's true I donlt need (new) freinds. But I need readers.

poetinahat
02-02-2007, 06:06 PM

etc.
Will power? Okay....

Guess it all depends on what you expect and how you use it, eh?

I've had no trouble so far, although not being a young female probably helps.

Even if I use it for nothing else, the music's been great.

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 06:36 PM
I don't have a myspace, and I don't need a myspace, and I don't care what anybody says. I hate listening to people tell me how myspace will "help" me. Help me what? I don't need to collect a bunch of fake friends who couldn't give a toss about me, and I don't need to list and catalogue the friends I already have.

Actually I've met some nice editors and fellow writers on myspace. Not to mention a lot of the wonderful people on here as well.

Celia Cyanide
02-02-2007, 06:48 PM
Actually I've met some nice editors and fellow writers on myspace. Not to mention a lot of the wonderful people on here as well.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...you met a lot of the wonderful people here on myspace?

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 06:52 PM
I mean that I have met some nice people through myspace.

And that several people from here are on there.

Celia Cyanide
02-02-2007, 07:00 PM
And that several people from here are on there.

Yeah, that's true, and that's why I don't need it. I can just post here.

ATP, myspace comes with a blog. But it's also got a place where you can list information about yourself, and a "friends list".

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Yeah, that's true, and that's why I don't need it. I can just post here.

Too bad, Celia. You would have been my number one bestest friend.

Celia Cyanide
02-02-2007, 07:06 PM
Too bad, Celia. You would have been my number one bestest friend.

You mean I can't be, just because I don't have a myspace? :D

Freckles
02-02-2007, 07:10 PM
Hey C, I checked out your site. I don't have a MySpace...I too am resisting the temptation! :)

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 07:15 PM
You mean I can't be, just because I don't have a myspace? :D
Pretty much. Yes. :tongue

Celia Cyanide
02-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Pretty much. Yes. :tongue

Sorry, SF. I like you a lot, but not that much! :)

CBeasy, you signed up so that you could view your friends pictures? Aren't they able to send them to you in email?

About getting readers on myspace? Has that really proven to work? Getting hits on websites certainly hasn't. So why is myspace any different?

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 07:28 PM
Oh, stop with the logic. Can't we just have fun?

:)

Celia Cyanide
02-02-2007, 07:53 PM
Nobody said you can't have fun. :)

It's just that many people claim that myspace is a "great networking tool," and I have yet to see any proof of it. It may seem to be, but I've never seen any actual benefits. My friend, who is co-producing my movie, always claims she knows people on myspace who want to help out, and those contacts ALWAYS turn out to be bogus. The people who are serious are looking for work, at least in film, are looking in places other than myspace.

If you find myspace fun, go for it. I just don't have any use for a page.

Freckles
02-02-2007, 08:21 PM
Oh, stop with the logic. Can't we just have fun?

:)

You mean AW isn't doin' it for ya anymore? :(

Southern_girl29
02-02-2007, 08:26 PM
Here's mine. I haven't done a whole lot with it at all.

http://www.myspace.com/tbelinc

BenPanced
02-02-2007, 08:38 PM
I just figure I've got a LiveJournal, a Yahoo! 360 page, and a personal website, so that's enough "networking".

aruna
02-02-2007, 09:11 PM

CBeasy, you signed up so that you could view your friends pictures? Aren't they able to send them to you in email?

About getting readers on myspace? Has that really proven to work? Getting hits on websites certainly hasn't. So why is myspace any different?

I can see it working this way:
I friend those readers who have listed my books among their favourites. They say WOW! A real author had friended me! And tell their (many) friends: "I love her books, and she's so friendly!" Could help spread word of mouth. Who knows!

Readers love accessible authors. it's one way to work on that level.
I love readers. I love meeting them talking to them, knowing who they are. Freom that aspect, MySpace is actually a very good tool for me - espcielaly since, if my next book is published int he US, I won;t be able to do much face to face marketing over there. Anyway - my myspace is http://www.myspace.com/sharonmaas

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 09:18 PM
I don't understand why people get so titted off about myspace. You don't like it, don't use it. Simple. Some people do. I've got a page. If I decided it wasn't serving any purpose, wasn't amusing me any more, I'd delete. Simple too.

Christine N.
02-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Celia, I guess it depends on what you write. I write books for young people. Which happens to be the prime demographic of MySpace.

There's also plenty of groups. I participate really in one, but am a member of two, both SF/F book related. Again, my target audience. I can make announcments to the group about my books, my profile directs them to where they can purchase. I can send information to people I normally wouldn't come in contact with, specifically those that I think would like to read my stuff. Incidentally, I've come across some other books by MySpace friends that I want to read.

It's pretty easy, doesn't take a great deal of maintenance and it's free. Why wouldn't you? I avoided for the longest time. There are tons of 'name brand' authors there - if they don't think it's a waste of time...

I also have a Xanga, an LJ and a personal website. I just copy and paste my blog entries from one to the other, and my own site is linked to my LJ blog; it's not like I spend a great deal of time on MySpace.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 09:28 PM
I just friended you. (Wonder if that'll come into common usage, just like the word 'texted')?

I just thought. There's a chance - slight, but it exists - that someone will be browsing myspace, looking at their friends' profiles, and click to see what friends their friends have made. Linking from one profile to another, one might come across your profile and think, "An author? I'll keep an eye out for their work next time I'm in the library or bookshop."

It could happen. And it's free, doesn't do any harm, so why not? If it doesn't happen, so what? You haven't lost anything.

WildScribe
02-02-2007, 09:30 PM
I have one, but I never check it. I just got it so that my brother can email me, since he loses my email on a weekly basis.

Christine N.
02-02-2007, 09:39 PM
I got you, Scarletpeaches.

I've found that happening already. Lots of people I don't know send me friend requests. I can only imagine they're either a) trolling the friend lists of other people that I'm friends with, b)searching for my name, or some other keyword that got them to me or c) finding me on the groups I'm a member of.

However you get there, right?

And I haven't had that much trouble with it - other than one bug I got that has me permanently stuck as a MySpace Film account. Once in a while I get a friend request that's... inappropriate... I just deny them.

TwentyFour
02-02-2007, 09:41 PM
I used to have my real profile on myspace, but become bombarded with boys/men in my area sending me their likes and wants in women...I was sent phone numbers from local bagboys and personal stats from low life druggies down the street...MYSPACE SUCKS! I AGREE~!

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 09:42 PM
Damn. I haven't had any inappropriate messages. :(

Celia Cyanide
02-02-2007, 10:02 PM
I don't understand why people get so titted off about myspace. You don't like it, don't use it. Simple.

I don't like it, and I don't use it. If other people were fine with that, it wouldn't piss me off. When I'm out, I get people asking me what mine is, and why I don't have one. I don't have one because I don't want one. I don't want to post my writing on a blog so that people I don't know who don't care about me can tell me it's great, no matter how awful it is, just because they want me to go to their page and compliment their music or artwork or online modeling portfolio. I don't have time for that. It's hard enough for me to keep up with the friends I have in real life.

If I'm going to post my writing, I would rather post it here, and get a specific and honest critique.

WerenCole
02-02-2007, 10:24 PM
That guy has a big sword. . . I mean, like, big.

I started a myspace last year. . and have less than 200 views of my relatively worthless page. . . I was trying to find friends from up north but instead these days I just keep up with my friends bands because it seems requisite these days for small bands to have a myspace page. More than half of my 20 friends are my friends bands. I don't really like the whole myspace thing. . . sometimes I forget its there and don't check it for months. . . anyway, my old hippie friends most definetly don't have accounts (though one is a member of a band I knew from back in high school. . still together and kicking it in Portland, Me).

jennifer75
02-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Here's mine. I haven't done a whole lot with it at all.

http://www.myspace.com/tbelinc

Your daughter is adorable!!!

Bravo
02-02-2007, 10:51 PM
i dunno.

for some reason i just have a real problem w myspace. i did facebook for a few months and it just bugged the hell out of me so i deleted myself.

maybe i just dont want random ppl as friends. or maybe i just dont want some ppl who kind of know me, really know me.

all those kind of sites just bug me in a slightly irrational way.

jennifer75
02-02-2007, 10:59 PM
i dunno.

for some reason i just have a real problem w myspace. i did facebook for a few months and it just bugged the hell out of me so i deleted myself.

maybe i just dont want random ppl as friends. or maybe i just dont want some ppl who kind of know me, really know me.

all those kind of sites just bugs me in a slightly irrational way.

This coming from a Virgo? :P

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 11:05 PM
They don't just become your friends. They send a request. You check them out. Then decide to accept or decline. I've declined a lot of people I didn't think were "friend" material.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 11:09 PM
Oh, I accept everyone. It makes me feel good about myself. :D

I'm such a myspacewhore.

Bravo
02-02-2007, 11:11 PM
This coming from a Virgo? :P

okay i gotta admit i dont get what that means?

(i dont pay much attention to that stuff, so enlighten me. :) )

Southern_girl29
02-02-2007, 11:30 PM
Your daughter is adorable!!!

Thank you so much.

jennifer75
02-02-2007, 11:37 PM
okay i gotta admit i dont get what that means?

(i dont pay much attention to that stuff, so enlighten me. :) )

i worded that incorrectly, YOU ARE TOTALLY A VIRGO. hows that...

Bravo
02-03-2007, 12:24 AM
i worded that incorrectly, YOU ARE TOTALLY A VIRGO. hows that...

no i got what you were saying.

i was hoping for an explanation of what a virgo supposedly acts like.

but its all good.

CBeasy
02-03-2007, 04:32 AM

At one time, I had a personal website with a blog type deal on it, but I didn't have the time to maintain it, so I shut it down. I intend on making another one real soon. The reason I did it to view the pics was that my friend had already uploaded them there(myspace hosts your images for you) and they were quite big, so emailing them would've been a pain for him. Also, I've been thinking about making one for a while, so it was just a good motivation to do it.

As for the whole readers thing, myspace is cool because one gets way more hits then would be possible with just a personal website. Rather than relying on people either googling your name or something related too you, you get people who are searching myspace for people w/ similar interests, people who belong to the same groups as you, people who are just browsing myspace by linking from friend, and many other ways the myspace uses to introduce users to each other. In other words, it has the advantage of making you part of a community that actually strives to expose the members to one another.

CBeasy
02-03-2007, 05:10 AM
Thanks for the adds guys! I'm in the midst of searching for other AW members and inviting them! Though the elitist HTML/CSS geek in my detests Myspace, I must admit, this is quite fun.

benbradley
02-03-2007, 06:19 AM
I don't have a myspace page because it's full of young teen girls and the only reason anyone would ever believe a man my age would ever have a myspage page is to, uh, find young teen girls.

That, and the average myspace page is so loaded with pics and videos and friends-pics and comments-pics that it takes forever to load, and I'm on DSL.

Dixie
02-03-2007, 07:08 AM
I just 'friended' a couple more people from AW - so if any of you get 'add me' message from somebody that has a pic of a little girl with her labrador and momma - that'd be me. I gave into the demons 6 or so months ago. I've acutally had some good results from myspace. I was able to find a couple of people I used to run around with in high school. I haven't friended all of my old buddies yet as we've grown apart but it is still nice to look on myspace, xanga, or blogger and see how they are doing.

ATP
02-03-2007, 07:36 AM
At one time, I had a personal website with a blog type deal on it, but I didn't have the time to maintain it, so I shut it down. I intend on making another one real soon <snip> In other words, it has the advantage of making you part of a community that actually strives to expose the members to one another.

Thanks for explaining the differences between a personal website and myspace.

benbradley
02-03-2007, 08:09 AM
Oh, I accept everyone. It makes me feel good about myself. :D

I'm such a myspacewhore.

Check out this character:

http://www.myspace.com/weirdal

"Weird Al Yankovic has 424208 friends."

I was reading somewhere that he approved every one of his friend requests himself, mostly by lots of frantic mouse clicking, not even looking to see who he was adding.

aruna
02-03-2007, 08:57 AM
There was a young, beautiful Korean girl who was in the Time "Person of the Year" issue - just for having so many friends on MySpace. She has made hereself into a "product" ans has actually made a business out of herself!She has a couple million friends, I think. If I could just remember her name...
Probably, after that artcle came out (TIME gave her a full page photo) she got a couple thousand more friends, She really is very beautiful.
That's when I realised the marketing potential of MySpace.
I#ve already added several AWers as friends. Cool!

aruna
02-03-2007, 09:01 AM
OK, now will somebody just explain to me how I change from the very boring default template to something more - exciting?

CBeasy
02-03-2007, 10:56 AM
You have to put the HTML or CSS in the "About Me" section of your profile. If you'd like, just tell me the colors of everything you want, and I can PM you the code you need to cut and paste. They also have TONS of myspace editors out there that can help you out just fine. Just google "Myspace editors".

aruna
02-03-2007, 11:00 AM
You have to put the HTML or CSS in the "About Me" section of your profile. If you'd like, just tell me the colors of everything you want, and I can PM you the code you need to cut and paste. They also have TONS of myspace editors out there that can help you out just fine. Just google "Myspace editors".

But how do I find the code myself? LiveJopurnal and Blogger lets you choose a template, you mean you can't do this with myspace?

aruna
02-03-2007, 07:11 PM
Aha, so you;re Anna! I already friended you...
I already have a site with layouts, but I haven't found any I like yet. Will look some more.

Christine N.
02-03-2007, 07:47 PM
There are loads of 'pimp MySpace' sites around, where you can pick out templates and copy the code. Google myspace layouts, myspace templates, or pimp myspace, and you'll find a ton of links.

I had to play around with my code a bit, because the original had transparent tables and the background made it hard to read. Once you learn how to read the code, you can change little things.

aruna
02-03-2007, 09:26 PM
Is there any way of telling if someone has rejected your request to freind them?
And if they accept, are you automatically their friend as well? (Still learning the ropes, as you can see!)

whistlelock
02-03-2007, 10:12 PM
Myspace? Who's got a myspace?

I do too. I use it mostly to keep in contact with college friends who've moved further away. It's easier than email, because I don't have to deal with spam.

well, as much anyway.

Christine N.
02-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Aruna, if you send a request and they accept, they'll automatically show up in that Friend box thing (after you have so many, though, you'll have to View All Friends)

To see if someone's rejected or just not looked at your request yet, go to Friend Request on your profile, then pending requests. You'll see the ones you sent that haven't been acted on yet. If they're not there, and not in your Friend list then they rejected your request.

aruna
02-03-2007, 10:49 PM
To see if someone's rejected or just not looked at your request yet, go to Friend Request on your profile, then pending requests. You'll see the ones you sent that haven't been acted on yet. If they're not there, and not in your Friend list then they rejected your request.

Aha. And then, are you automatically their friend as well? That's because Liam was freinded by me, he's in my friend box (meaning he accepted), and he commented on my myspace. But when I tried to reply to his comment on my site, I couldn't.

I am still experimenting with different backgrounds. The one I have now is not final. I tried a couple that just didn't work. This is a worse Time Vortex than AW!

Cath
02-03-2007, 11:00 PM
It's just that many people claim that myspace is a "great networking tool," and I have yet to see any proof of it. It may seem to be, but I've never seen any actual benefits.
Ok - proof.

I moved to the US just over a year ago. I didn't know anyone in the area, so I thought "hell why not?" and set up a MySpace page. I actively looked for people in my area that I thought I might get along with, and met up with a few of them.

All of which means I now have a hectic social life and plenty of people I enjoy spending time with (in the real world).

So, yes, it can be a good networking tool, if you know how to use it. Like anything of this ilk, it's open to abuse.

That doesn't mean it's good for everyone, but it suited my needs. I still keep it up, just for fun, even though I don't really need to now.

truelyana
02-03-2007, 11:02 PM
I don't have a myspace page because it's full of young teen girls and the only reason anyone would ever believe a man my age would ever have a myspage page is to, uh, find young teen girls.

That, and the average myspace page is so loaded with pics and videos and friends-pics and comments-pics that it takes forever to load, and I'm on DSL.

I vouch for that lol

MacAllister
02-03-2007, 11:05 PM
We put a page up for the magazine, too--it's been fun. :)
Some of you have already found us, and I'll see if I can't browbeat Birol into going through the thread and collecting those of you we've missed.

http://www.myspace.com/coyotewildmag

aruna
02-03-2007, 11:09 PM
OK, here's that Time article about that Singaporean girl. (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1570728,00.html) At the time it came out, she had 1.5 million friends, with 3-5000 new friend reqeusts every day.

And here's her myspace. OUCH!!!!!! (http://www.myspace.com/tilatequila)
But she proves that it CAN be a marketing tool.

Tila Nguyen was 1 year old when she moved to the U.S. from Singapore, but she's Vietnamese by heritage and blond by choice. As for what she does for a living, there isn't really a word for it yet. Nguyen, 25, who goes by Tila Tequila professionally, is some combination of rapper, singer, model, blogger and actress. But what she mostly is is the queen of the massive social-networking website MySpace.

Nguyen—or, oh, fine, Tequila—may be the least lonely girl on the Internet. She has more than 1.5 million MySpace friends. Her MySpace profile has been viewed more than 50 million times. Her self-published single, the profane and attitudinous F___ Ya Man, now playing on her MySpace page, has logged 13 million spins.

truelyana
02-03-2007, 11:14 PM
We put a page up for the magazine, too--it's been fun. :)
Some of you have already found us, and I'll see if I can't browbeat Birol into going through the thread and collecting those of you we've missed.

http://www.myspace.com/coyotewildmag

I've just checked you guys out. Nice site :)

Bravo
02-03-2007, 11:31 PM
OK, here's that Time article about that Singaporean girl. (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1570728,00.html) At the time it came out, she had 1.5 million friends, with 3-5000 new friend reqeusts every day.

And here's her myspace. OUCH!!!!!! (http://www.myspace.com/tilatequila)
But she proves that it CAN be a marketing tool.

ive heard of her.

she's a loser.

Medievalist
02-04-2007, 12:27 AM
I've got a MySpace page; I've sort of neglected it out of disgust at the UI.

http://www.myspace.com/digitalmedievalist

Christine N.
02-04-2007, 01:43 AM
AH, so that's who Coyote Wild mag is! I got the e-mail, but haven't added you yet. I will.

Coyote Wild mag kinda sounds like some weird Girls Gone wild thing :)

Peggy
02-04-2007, 01:48 AM
That, and the average myspace page is so loaded with pics and videos and friends-pics and comments-pics that it takes forever to load, and I'm on DSL. Not only take forever to load, but sometimes crash my browser too. It's pretty clear that some people never actually try to open their own profiles.

I don't have a myspace page because it's full of young teen girls and the only reason anyone would ever believe a man my age would ever have a myspage page is to, uh, find young teen girls. Unless, of course, your friends list is made up of adults :)

I don't log in too often, but I'm happy to be "friended".

http://www.myspace.com/peggus

Christine N.
02-04-2007, 02:13 AM
Uh, yeah, those scrolling backgrounds with the HUGE files suck. I lose patience after awhile and click off.

aruna
02-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Well, I have found a pleasing but simple and relevant layout and started my Great Campaign to draw in readers. And the first one has been caught!

aruna
02-04-2007, 06:41 PM
I tried adding some more text to the "About Me " profile but it came out in one long horrible paragraph. How can I format that box?

CBeasy
02-04-2007, 08:03 PM
I tried adding some more text to the "About Me " profile but it came out in one long horrible paragraph. How can I format that box?
How are you trying to format is exactly? Are you trying to make more than one paragraph?

I will agree with everyone that Myspace is totally out of control when it comes to bandwidth usage. People have become so spoiled by broadband connections that they make these outrageous profiles that would have been completely impossible six years ago. They think nothing of having five scrolling banners comprised of ten 1024x768 resolution pictures, music playing in the background, and a flashing cursor. If you're on an older computer with dial up, I suspect Myspace is pretty much impossible to navigate.

Christine N.
02-04-2007, 08:11 PM
Aruna,
Uh, don't you need to.... change... your little tag under your name? Didn't you, uh, GET, that call the other day?

aruna
02-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Well, it's a different Call. That was the AGENT call. I'm now waiting for the NEXT one.... (the agent call was back in September. I;ve been revising since then. She just sent it out...)

aruna
02-04-2007, 08:26 PM
How are you trying to format is exactly? Are you trying to make more than one paragraph?

I will agree with everyone that Myspace is totally out of control when it comes to bandwidth usage. People have become so spoiled by broadband connections that they make these outrageous profiles that would have been completely impossible six years ago. They think nothing of having five scrolling banners comprised of ten 1024x768 resolution pictures, music playing in the background, and a flashing cursor. If you're on an older computer with dial up, I suspect Myspace is pretty much impossible to navigate.

In the "My Blurb" space I would like to add a list of my books - info as to publication date and a short blurb for each book. I tried, but it came out as one long ugly paragraph.

Christine N.
02-04-2007, 08:47 PM
You have to hit enter shift and enter to make hard returns. I know it's a pain. You need to use HTML, like <b> </b> for bold and <br> for a break. Yeah, that's the biggest drawback to MS, is that it's not user friendly if you don't know anything about HTML. It's NOT WYSIWYG. Simple tags are easy <i> </i> for italic, <color=red> </color> if you want to highlight something in a different color.

There should be a link on your home page to the guy that's got a list of tags.

aruna
02-04-2007, 09:24 PM
I got it, thanks! WHAT a hassle! I just dont get how they can let you post WYSIWYG for the blog, but not for that section. And they don't even explain to you how to do it!

truelyana
02-04-2007, 09:38 PM
Lol. I just signed up for it earlier, and It wouldn't let me log back in. I could not see the settings anywhere, so I emailed them telling them I want to delete myself, from it seeing as I can't log in anyway.

aruna
02-05-2007, 10:34 AM
Somebody sent me the following bulletin. It seems crazy that a virus can be passed through MySpace. What's the verdict? I won't pass it on until I know!

Body: DO NOT ADD THIS NAME
If a certain Marc James wants to add you to their list don't accept it. It's a virus. Tell everyone on your list because if somebody on your list adds them you will get it too. It is a hard drive killer and a very horrible virus. Please pass this on to everyone on your list. We need to find out who is using this account. Pass this on.

POST IT UP BY YOUR COMPUTER SO THAT YOU DON'T FORGET

TrainofThought
02-06-2007, 12:22 AM
Hey CBeasy, I just went to your MySpace it looks nice and you have enough of friends. :D Have fun with it.

Cathy C
02-06-2007, 03:20 AM
I jumped on the MySpace bandwagon (http://www.myspace.com/cathyclamp)with some trepidation shortly before Christmas. Since then, I've become a very happy convert. Now, I spent a LOT of time initially going out looking for friends, because a friend of mine (a live, physical friend) said it was the best way to start to collect people. Since I write paranormal romance, I started by friending my contemporaries in the industry. Then I did a search for the name of our agent, our publisher, all the writing organizations and groups I belong to, plus "romance author" in general. After that, I started friending independent bookstores (since without them, where are we as authors?)

All told, I contacted about 200 people with requests to be their friend. It held there for about two weeks and now has started to cascade--readers of the OTHER authors are seeing us and dropping by. Views of my page are up to nearly 900 (again in about two months.) Sales of our books on Amazon have increased to the point that ALL of our books are regularly below 100,000, whereas before, only one or two were at that level.

Now, it might just be coincidence. But I do a LOT of marketing, and I haven't seen this drastic a reaction to any other single effort, so I don't really think so. I think what's happening is that we're becoming "known" to those readers who already like the type of books we write and they're, in turn, recommending us to others.

The other thing I really like is the "Bulletin" feature, where you can send one message to ALL your friends. This is awesome for notifying people of new releases, contests or just keeping track of people and I'm finding that I'm keeping in better contact with author friends on MySpace than via email. Don't know why, but there you go.

Yeah, I've had to Deny a couple of requests, but only a couple--no worse than telemarketer calls on my phone. Denying them is the equivalent of "Remove me from your list." Eh. :Shrug:

So feel free to friend me! I'd love to be your friend. :)

Chumplet
02-06-2007, 04:54 AM
It's nice to have 'friends', but do they actually visit your sites on a regular basis?
The only thing I knew about myspace was this: http://www.grandvideos.com/file/214-my-space-parody.html
until I visited a few of your sites. Interesting, but I think I'll get me a website, or perhaps a blog when the time comes.

Cath
02-06-2007, 05:02 AM
Somebody sent me the following bulletin. It seems crazy that a virus can be passed through MySpace. What's the verdict? I won't pass it on until I know!
If you've got an up to date virus checker installed on your machine, it should catch it, aruna. But better to be safe than sorry.

I think Liam had something about viruses in one of his bulletins recently too.

aruna
02-06-2007, 10:27 AM
Now, it might just be coincidence. But I do a LOT of marketing, and I haven't seen this drastic a reaction to any other single effort, so I don't really think so. I think what's happening is that we're becoming "known" to those readers who already like the type of books we write and they're, in turn, recommending us to others.

The other thing I really like is the "Bulletin" feature, where you can send one message to ALL your friends. This is awesome for notifying people of new releases, contests or just keeping track of people and I'm finding that I'm keeping in better contact with author friends on MySpace than via email. Don't know why, but there you go.

Interesting, Cathy.
After fiddling around on MySpace a couple of days I have found it to be the BEST way for an author to establish a web presence for marketing reasons. Better than both a website and a blog. Here are my reasons:

A website is useful in mainly two areas:
- when you're inthe submission stage, agents and editors can look it up to reassure themselves that you DO have a professional looking site, and to find out more about you. ALso once you're published, journalists and other professionals can look it up.

- when you have found readers, and they want to look you up.

But potential readers - people you want to buy your books, strangers - probably are not going to go to your website. People need some reason to google your name and find your website; they aren't likely to do so before they have read you.
As a marketing tool a website is mostly useless.

Blog: I have found that writers' blogs are read and subscribed to and followed mainly by other writers. Potential readers just aren't interested. This isn't really a way to develop a market.

MySpace, however, lets you contact hundreds, even thousand of people who never heard of you before. They are likely to at least glance at your page. Once there, they can have a look at the books you've written, check out your MySpace blog (which, unlike my blogger blog, is targeted at READERS rather than other writers - it gives updates and information about my next book). When they see your name in a bookstore, they'll remember: wow, that person's my MySpace friend! And they'll buy it. Guaranteed.

I have already started the process, even though I haven't even found a new publisher yet. Twenty MySpacelers listed my name among their favourite authors. I added all these people to my list. One by one, they are adding me. Two of them have even left comments for me.
I have also been adding other people in the book business: writers (some bestselling writers now have me as a friend!), literary agents, bookstores.

If and when I find a US publisher I am going to be severely handicapped through the fact that I don't live in North America. My only resource is the internet, and MySpace I believe is my best bet.

Apart from those I have requested, I also get lots of requests from strangers. That's nice! Like Cathy said above, I can let them all know in one fell sweep when (IF!) my book is coming out. That's amazing! And it's not even spamming!

( I think this thread should be moved to the Marketing forum.)

aruna
02-06-2007, 11:05 AM
ooops -I see there is already a MySpace thread there.
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52655

Christine N.
02-06-2007, 03:16 PM
That's my favorite part, Aruna. I can send a newsletter or announcement to a hundred people (I have over 100 friends now, woo hoo!) at once, to people who have agreed to receive it, by accepting or sending me a friend request. They WANT to keep in contact with me.

And I go there at least once a day, and I do skim my bulletins, so I keep up with other people too, all in one spot.

aruna
02-06-2007, 04:59 PM
That's my favorite part, Aruna. I can send a newsletter or announcement to a hundred people (I have over 100 friends now, woo hoo!) at once, to people who have agreed to receive it, by accepting or sending me a friend request. They WANT to keep in contact with me.

And I go there at least once a day, and I do skim my bulletins, so I keep up with other people too, all in one spot.

Exactly. And it's not a bother because they only read the bulletin if they're interested; just as I only read those that look interesting.

Celia Cyanide
02-06-2007, 10:05 PM
When they see your name in a bookstore, they'll remember: wow, that person's my MySpace friend! And they'll buy it. Guaranteed.

I think it's hardly "gaurenteed." There is an article in Spin this month about myspace, and how influential it is in sales, and the statistics say, not much. The study was about records, not books, but I still think it's relevant. The poll asked what influenced their decision to buy an album, and band myspace pages was only 6%. The greatest % was hearing the song on the radio, followed by recommendations from friends, followed by music videos, and a few others. Myspace came in last.

The fact is, a lot of myspace users just want more people in their friends list. They don't necessarily want anything to do with those people after they've got them.

Shadow_Ferret
02-06-2007, 10:53 PM
Personally, I'm not sure how relevent it is comparing music to books. Music can be downloaded, often for free, and many never ever buy CDs any more.

Books you can only get at a bookstore. You can't sample it online, at least not in it's entirety.

I purchased a book from one of my myspace friends simply because she is one of myspace friends. I haven't purchased any music from anyone I met on myspace yet.

Cathy C
02-06-2007, 11:21 PM
The fact is, a lot of myspace users just want more people in their friends list. They don't necessarily want anything to do with those people after they've got them.

I don't consider this a fact. I suppose there are a few that are merely there to collect friends. But my goal is marketing our books and networking. The more "friends" I have with similar interests, the greater my chance to network. The thing I like to remember is that every profile on MySpace is a REAL person. Since I collect primarily readers and writers in my same genre, there's a good chance I'll eventually run into the people at a conference or book signing and, as I visit every page of people I've friended or who has friended me, I might just remember a few details about them ("Oh, your baby is so cute! Love the pics on your Myspace page." for example.) I can't even begin to tell you how exciting it is for a reader to have a favorite author know something about THEM in return. Even when I stop by blogs that have mentioned us and leave a comment (yeah, I both Google my name and search on Technorati/Feedster every week,) the readers get all giggly and bouncy, and several have mentioned that they came to our next signing just BECAUSE of it. :D

Christine N.
02-06-2007, 11:55 PM
There's no guarantee with any type of marketing. At least MySpace is free.

Peggy
02-07-2007, 12:15 AM
The thing I like to remember is that every profile on MySpace is a REAL person. That's not exactly true. There is a whole mini-industry of Myspace marketing where people have dozens (if not hundreds) of fake profiles that they use to blast advertising bulletins to their unsuspecting "friends". Those profiles are usually easy to pick out, though, since they devote a lot of space to ring tones or nutritional supplements, rather than their interests and pix of their friends. Also, the "friend collector" type of profile is easy to spot, because no one really has 5,000 friends. Most of the profiles I've seen (and I've looked at a lot) have at most a couple hundred friends.

Since I collect primarily readers and writers in my same genre, there's a good chance I'll eventually run into the people at a conference or book signing and, as I visit every page of people I've friended or who has friended me, I might just remember a few details about them ("Oh, your baby is so cute! Love the pics on your Myspace page." for example.) I can't even begin to tell you how exciting it is for a reader to have a favorite author know something about THEM in return. Even when I stop by blogs that have mentioned us and leave a comment (yeah, I both Google my name and search on Technorati/Feedster every week,) the readers get all giggly and bouncy, and several have mentioned that they came to our next signing just BECAUSE of it. :D The personal touch is the way to do it. I know I would feel special if an author I wrote about stopped by to say "hi" :)

Cathy C
02-07-2007, 01:16 AM
Well, yeah--there are those that are the equivalent of spam. I deny those after visiting their site. So far, I've denied nutritional supplements, porn, perfume/incense dealers and BDSM clubs (not that the page wasn't entertaining :tongue ) Basically, if the person doesn't mention books I've read or isn't an author him/herself, or isn't a bookstore/bookbuyer/reviewer, they generally get denied. That's what I mean about "real people." The people I ACCEPT are real people (or have faked it really good.) There have been two so far that looked like real people until I started to get bulletins about ringtones, etc. So if you have a page and DON'T mention books on your page and have friended me, make sure you send a message telling me where you know me from, or you won't get through. Likewise, if you start talking about spammy stuff, poof! Out you go. Just like here at AW. :)

Peggy
02-07-2007, 01:50 AM
I'll try to remember not to send you any messages revealing my latest greatest source of cheap v1agr@ ;)

Christine N.
02-07-2007, 01:58 AM
We need a PHENTERMINE bulletin.

aruna
02-07-2007, 09:18 AM
I can't even begin to tell you how exciting it is for a reader to have a favorite author know something about THEM in return. Even when I stop by blogs that have mentioned us and leave a comment (yeah, I both Google my name and search on Technorati/Feedster every week,) the readers get all giggly and bouncy, and several have mentioned that they came to our next signing just BECAUSE of it. :D
That's just it. And such readers tell their friends about your books AND you the next time.

Yesterday I searched mySpace for my name without "...", and also for my book titles, and found 20 more people who had me listed as a favourite author! I added them all.
I received the following mails:

I hope you are well. I guess I just wanted to send you a message telling you that I think you're a brilliant writer. As a young writer, I can only hope that one day I can produce something as complex and involving as "Of marriageable Age". I know that may sound a bit sychophantic but I'm being genuine. I have "Peacocks Dancing" on my shelf and plan to read it very soon. Amazon had a problem ordering "The Speech of Angels" but I will try to get a hold of it.

I guess I just want to say a big thanks for creating what you have. It's an inspiration.

I love ur books. I cant believe u r requesting me to add u as a friend. Oh my god! it should be the other way round.

I am truly honoured!!! thank u soooo much.

These are READERS. Readers love nothing more than to feel they have "met" an author, even if it's only online. It's just not the same as with music. A book requires several hours of absorption with an author's words, and if you like the story there's a deep personal connection - I know how I feel when I read books I love. I really feel connected with the author.

I am pretty sure that if a MySpace friend is in a bookstore and remembers my name as a friend they will buy the book - or at least pick it up to look at it closely.

(And of course I replied to those mails! And don't you think that now, those readers will tell their friends, and recommend the books? I think so!)

aruna
02-07-2007, 09:38 AM
Well, yeah--there are those that are the equivalent of spam. I deny those after visiting their site. So far, I've denied nutritional supplements, porn, perfume/incense dealers and BDSM clubs (not that the page wasn't entertaining :tongue ) Basically, if the person doesn't mention books I've read or isn't an author him/herself, or isn't a bookstore/bookbuyer/reviewer, they generally get denied. :)

Yes. I am selective too. I already removed one "friend" because of his many spammy bulletins, and I removed one comment that had a huge graphic advertising the guy's music. In such cases - OUT!
There are also several reading groups on MySpace. I would be very careful here as I woudn't want to appear as spamming, but I am considering approaching maybe the owner of such groups and introducing myself before joining. I know in the real world book groups are very eager to have a real author to discuss books with, and this could be the same here. I see loads of opportunities,

Basically, though, MySpace is ideal for my temperament. On the one hand I genuinely LOVE my readers and am really curious about them as real people, instead of just a huge amorphous blob: "readers".
On the other hand, I am a bit of a hermit. I love staying at home. I am shy and awkward in social situations. I never enjoyed the book-reading/talk-giving round. I would love nothing better than to do my marketing from the comfort of my home computer, hand-picking readers and connecting with them on a one-to-one basis. I can spend happy hours doing that - and it's free!

sthrnwriter
02-07-2007, 09:50 AM
I kind of put off getting one, but I set up a myspace page mostly because my step-sister and her husband both have one. It was easier to send messages to her there. So far, I haven't had any problems with it but that could always change.

I think it does help with networking and such. I was just surprised to find out how many people I knew had a myspace page and I didn't know about it.

Here's mine: http://www.myspace.com/sthrnwriter

If you are looking for a free premade myspace layout, AceLayouts (http://www.acelayouts.com/myspace-layouts/1/page/1) has over 150 to choose from.

Celia Cyanide
02-07-2007, 10:10 PM
After reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I am right about having no use for a myspace. :D

Shadow_Ferret
02-07-2007, 10:36 PM
Hmm. I've come to the opposite conclusion. I'm glad I've got myspace. :)

aruna
02-07-2007, 11:01 PM
Me too!

readlorey
02-07-2007, 11:02 PM
I have a myspace..well, doh, of course you all know that looking at my signature. *sigh*

Anyway, if you want to add me as a friend that would be cool. I like having a network in other places.

Celia Cyanide
02-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Hmm. I've come to the opposite conclusion. I'm glad I've got myspace. :)

Yes, it probably depends on what you want out of it. It would not benefit me in what I want to do.

Shadow_Ferret
02-08-2007, 12:29 AM
So you've said. Over and over. At every opportunity. :tongue

Celia Cyanide
02-08-2007, 12:52 AM
I'm sorry, Ferret, I didn't realize it bothered you. I don't know what else to say about it.

Shadow_Ferret
02-08-2007, 01:00 AM
I'm sorry, Ferret, I didn't realize it bothered you. I don't know what else to say about it.
Actually, if it was anyone else it would bother me. ;)

Lady Esther
02-08-2007, 02:02 AM
I had to start my page (http://myspace.com/joanie87) over because of stupid hackers taking over my page (http://myspace.com/joanie87)

Pat~
02-08-2007, 03:58 AM
Well, I went ahead and did a myspace page, but have no concept of what I'll actually do with it--I just did it so I could post a comment on a friend's page. I'm not a blogger, and am actually pretty content with just using my website for now, so I'll probably end up just having Tom for my friend, LOL...:o

(ETA: Actually, as of tonight, I am a blogger! Just set one up...)

Celia Cyanide
02-08-2007, 04:26 AM
I had to start my page (http://myspace.com/joanie87) over because of stupid hackers taking over my page (http://myspace.com/joanie87)

I keep hearing about stuff like this happening to people...why do hackers do this?

Christine N.
02-08-2007, 04:36 AM
'Cause they want to ruin everyone's fun.

aruna
02-08-2007, 09:37 AM
After reading this thread, I have come to the conclusion that I am right about having no use for a myspace. :D

Celia, you are beautiful, charismatic, charming, and can wow an audience with a single word; it's called Stage Presence.
You are also, in the eyes of at least ONE human being, a Goddess.
I do not have all those attributes; thus my need for a geeky substitute like MySpace!

Liam Jackson
02-08-2007, 11:37 AM
I've also succumbed (reluctantly) to the MySpace madness at the "suggestion" of my editor. I'm glad I did. Before the first week, I realized I was sitting in the middle of a hellacious webring. A pretty good deal for a few minutes of my time, each day.

http://www.myspace.com/liammjackson

williemeikle
02-08-2007, 12:43 PM
I'm there as well

www.myspace.com/williemeikle (http://www.myspace.com/williemeikle)

There are many authors groups ( none as good as AW though :) , and it's great for meeting people from other backgrounds to your own ... I've got filmmakers, TV studios, radio shows, newspapers etc in my friends list now.... that means when I post a bulletin, they see it, so it's all good advertising.

I'm also group moderator of a group for all things relating to Scottish writing in books, film, comics, journalism.... hell, we'll even discuss Standard Grade English if you want.
http://groups.myspace.com/scottishwriters

Willie

aruna
02-08-2007, 12:59 PM
All these AWlers with secret lives on MySpace! Let's just call this the coming out thread.
"My name is Aruna and I'm non NySpace"

Celia Cyanide
02-09-2007, 12:47 AM
I do not have all those attributes; thus my need for a geeky substitute like MySpace!

That's awfully nice of you to say, Aruna, but you also have published books. For an eternal wannabe like me, myspace will never serve the same purpose. :)

And Christine, I suppose that explains it, but I still think it's weird. Whenever I hear about someone's myspace page being hacked, it's never a page that represents a company, band, or a person trying to promote something. It's always just a normal person with a page for their personal use. It just seems so random to hack one of them.

JennaGlatzer
02-09-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm still really ambivalent about MySpace... I hate "networking" and feeling used, but I like getting to know people. So far, most of the people sending me friend requests are from AW, which is perfect. What ticks me off are the strangers who just want traffic. I followed a link yesterday to someone requesting an add, and he was a comedian-- with a skit online about "the most retarded story" about mentally ill people. Uh, yeah. Obviously, he ain't my friend. ;)

I don't plan on using my own page for much of anything. I mostly just like MySpace as a place to find new music to listen to. But we'll see. I finally added a profile yesterday. One step at a time. :)

Feel free to add me: http://www.myspace.com/90898452

Rainy Night
02-09-2007, 01:20 AM
Alright... I did it too... I now have a myspace account.

TemlynWriting
02-09-2007, 01:55 AM
I have a MySpace account, with several of you added already.

Here's the link to my main MySpace: http://www.myspace.com/jtwrites

I also have one for WritersRemember.com: http://www.myspace.com/writersremember

aruna
02-09-2007, 07:57 AM
That's awfully nice of you to say, Aruna, but you also have published books. For an eternal wannabe like me, myspace will never serve the same purpose. :)

But publishing them is only half the story. You need to promote them as well - and if you haven't got the kind of media personality that can do that it;s terribly hard. I am an introverted type, which comes across as boring. So people assume my books are boring as well. :cry:

thethinker42
02-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Well, I guess I'm a conformist...I'm on Myspace too. I just like being able to get back in touch with friends from high school, etc. I've managed to reconnect with numerous dear friends with whom I'd lost touch.

FRIEND ME, MYSPACE WHORES:
http://www.myspace.com/thethinker42

Vincent
02-09-2007, 08:33 AM
Okay, I'm considering joining the bandwagon, so question time; what's the difference between signing up with Myspace, and one of its local affiliates, like 'Australian Myspace'? Any at all?

ThatGuy
02-09-2007, 09:04 AM
I've sent a lot of you on this thread add requests. Here's my link for you to check out --

My Myspace (http://myspace.com/letterstoebay)

I also posted a new picture of our new baby daughter, Ruthie Joy.

-Paul (Art Farkas)

Peggy
02-09-2007, 09:28 AM
My Myspace (http://myspace.com/letterstoebay)

I also posted a new picture of our new baby daughter, Ruthie Joy. She's adorable!

ThatGuy
02-09-2007, 11:15 AM
Thank you. We think she's cute too!

aruna
02-09-2007, 01:58 PM
Some guy sent me a love message, starting "Hi, Lovely." Ugh. I didn't know non-friends were allowed to send messages.

aruna
02-09-2007, 02:00 PM
I just denied my firest request; it was a band. Does anybody else feel terrible when they deny someone?

sthrnwriter
02-09-2007, 02:33 PM
Yeah I feel guilty having to deny someone. A local rap group requested to be added and I approved it. But I deleted them from my friend's list later on. I felt bad about it, but I don't care for a lot of rap music. Plus I haven't heard of them before.

Celia Cyanide
02-09-2007, 08:31 PM
But publishing them is only half the story. You need to promote them as well

Yes, I know. That's what I'm saying, and why it wouldn't do me any good. I don't have a book published to promote, and I never will. So my extroverted personality wouldn't do me much good there, either! :)

thethinker42
02-09-2007, 08:53 PM
I just denied my firest request; it was a band. Does anybody else feel terrible when they deny someone?

No. Especially rap/hip-hop groups, because I say REPEATEDLY on my myspace that I hate, despise, and loathe rap/hip-hop. And I really feel no guilt about guys that are hitting on me, since I also make it clear that I'm happily married.

Once, I had someone try to friend me whose entire profile was nothing but "I'm the most (N-word)est (N-word), don't want to talk to anyone but (some euphemism for women) cuz everyone of you wants me, unless you (euphemism for men) want to tell me how much I'm the (N-word)est (N-word), etc etc etc". I sent him a not-so-friendly e-mail, and THEN denied him.

The only time I felt mildly guilty was when my sister-in-law wanted to be added. So...I didn't deny her. I didn't accept her either...I'm pretty sure her request has either expired or is still sitting there while I ignore it.

Teraphim
02-10-2007, 12:42 AM
I initially got one for one reason and one reason only:

Every high school and college I attended, and a couple of the companies I worked for are full of people with a myspace who would love to brag to their homeys about that one writer they used to work with, and hey - lol rflol lol! - he's got a myspace listed under our shared school/company!

That's a large group of people that have a good reason to say something about my books to the people they know. They find out about my writing, and forward such information to their "friends" to prove they knew me. If I make one sale out of it, it earned out my financial investment in the marketing tool.

One never knows exactly how useful any marketing is going to be. I actually think this one's too noisy to be any good if it cost actual money. Everyone's up there shouting their pop band into the wires, shouting their questionnaires at each other in all caps.

However, unlike most other marketing tools I've used, this marketing tool cost me a mere half an hour with a basic MySpace editor when I was too drunk to do anything else, anyway. I check in with it every week or two when I'm too drunk to write worth a damn. I answer every non-spam, non-crazy e-mail as best I can in my altered state. I delete any comment that has moving parts as joyfully as Strongbad with stupid e-mail.

I don't think the bulletins are useful.

If Tom and his cohorts limited the number of bulletins per member to one per month, then they'd be useful. As it stands, some lady on my list sends about five bulletins a day about her cats. I'd delete her from my friends list if they weren't so sad/funny to read when I'm drunk and logged on. It's like a window into an alternate reality.

Mrs. Maas, I doubt that bulletin you got was a virus. I think it was a prank. Some young lady got her little heart broken by some little lad, and her snakey friends started a bulletin chain to thwart him just a little bit. STDs maybe, but no computer viruses.

If you are actively looking for me because you liked my books or you knew me once in a curricular and/or professional capacity, then you'll find me easy enough.

wyntermoon
02-10-2007, 01:54 AM
I joined so a friend would have a friend though haven't done much with it until recently when the Humor forum started beating me with sticks to join in. Baaaaaa.

http://www.myspace.com/lulufinkelstein (who knew I'd actually use it?)

Peggy
02-10-2007, 02:52 AM
I just denied my firest request; it was a band. Does anybody else feel terrible when they deny someone? Nope, don't feel bad at all, since they aren't people I know anyway.

(BTW: Under "Privacy Settings" you can tick a box that prevents bands from sending you friend requests).

aruna
02-10-2007, 10:28 AM
So my extroverted personality wouldn't do me much good there, either! :)

Maybe you could lend it to me? I need youth, beauty, and a sparkling TV presence. :)

But never say never, as in "I never will". You just never know....

Deadbeat 007
02-11-2007, 03:32 AM
Your daughters are adorable, ThatGuy.

Myspace is nice, but besides messaging and such, there really isn't too much going for it.

CBeasy
02-11-2007, 04:34 AM
We've got a pretty good AW circle going now, if I do say so myself!

Vincent
02-11-2007, 09:03 AM
We've got a pretty good AW circle going now, if I do say so myself!

I just joined up. Can I get in on that circle, or is a 'cool kids only' crowd?

Celia Cyanide
02-11-2007, 09:43 AM
Maybe you could lend it to me? I need youth, beauty, and a sparkling TV presence. :)

You can have my youth (you've already got beauty) but you better hurray, cuz it's going fast!

But never say never, as in "I never will". You just never know....

I had this convo with a friend last night.

her: you should get on myspace.

me: why?

her: Because you can put your photos and resume and headshot, and info about all your movies on there.

me: But why would I want to put all of that on there?

her: Because someone might see you and think you have the look they want and cast you in a movie.

me: no, they wouldn't.

her: Yeah, I guess you're right.

There are 2 ways I would be on myspace. The first is if someone paid me. The second is if they were willing to manage my account themselves. So I guess that's a "never," Aruna! :)

aruna
02-11-2007, 10:58 AM
So I guess that's a "never," Aruna! :)

Hey celia, my "never" referred to your statement that you'd "never" get published! And I repeat:
Never say never!!!!!

williemeikle
02-13-2007, 12:14 PM
I joined so a friend would have a friend though haven't done much with it until recently when the Humor forum started beating me with sticks to join in. Baaaaaa.

http://www.myspace.com/lulufinkelstein (who knew I'd actually use it?)

Tried to add you as a friend Stacy, but it says that Graham is not valid as your surname!

Willie
http://www.myspace.com/williemeikle

wyntermoon
02-13-2007, 06:15 PM
rats! Thanks for letting me know! I wonder how I change that over, I'd hate to make a new myspace thingy, lol. :D

williemeikle
02-13-2007, 06:29 PM
rats! Thanks for letting me know! I wonder how I change that over, I'd hate to make a new myspace thingy, lol. I'll friend you and it'll add you. :D

All friended up now :)
Thanks

Willie

wyntermoon
02-13-2007, 09:53 PM
All friended up now :)
Thanks

Willie

Thanks! I believe I've fixed the problem too, one goofy checkmark was wonky.

Foinah
02-16-2007, 12:04 AM
I buckled a few weeks ago and joined. Here I am: http://www.myspace.com/foinahforawhile

Who wants to be my friend? I spend all my free time here though ;)

wyntermoon
02-16-2007, 12:08 AM
Heck ya, I'll be your friend, Foinah! I just added you.

Did I ever tell you about the time I ran through Belfast for a week? Now there's a story~~

Foinah
02-16-2007, 12:31 AM
Heck ya, I'll be your friend, Foinah! I just added you.

Did I ever tell you about the time I ran through Belfast for a week? Now there's a story~~

Wohoo!!! Belfast, eh? Why were you running, hee hee....In the wrong part of town? Do tell!

wyntermoon
02-16-2007, 12:43 AM
I had just finished a dig in Whithorn, Scotland, when some grad students from Queens U. I'd met there invited me over. So, with little money and no sense, I hopped the ferry from Ayr and scooted on over. But not until I'd been searching for setting off alarms -- the underwire in my bra apparently triggered them! Meh ... you know these Irishmen, any excuses to feel up a girl with boobie bombs. ;)

There's more to tell but I'll leave that for a PM-

Shadow_Ferret
02-16-2007, 05:11 PM
Bands I'll go and listen to. If I like their music, I add them. If they're country, I deny them.

But yes, I feel guilty when I deny people so usually I just ignore them. I find that after a few months the request just goes away. ;)

Nicholas S.H.J.M Woodhouse
02-16-2007, 05:22 PM
i'm also on myspace now. http://www.myspace.com/niquewoodhouse
feel free to add me anyone. always a pleasure to 'meet' new people

AllyWoof
02-16-2007, 06:51 PM
Well, I finally broke down and created a Myspace (http://www.myspace.com) profile so I could view some of my friend's pictures. It can be found at http://www.myspace.com/bigcbeasy. I have no friends, which is pathetic, so if anyone wants to be my friend, send me an invite, and also post your Myspace URL in this thread, and perhaps we can have a horribly awful Myspace chain going. I'm sure there's another thread somewhere that's exactly like this one, but it's probably buried pretty far so I'm starting this one.

I'll give you think to mine as soon as I complete checking my email okay.

Dixie
02-16-2007, 09:49 PM
Guys beware of phishers, my space account just got raped and it wasn't fun. Thankfully no major damage was done.

Appearently there was a site that looked exactly like myspace.com that I visited but it wasnt and I haphazardly typed in my email and password at the 'login page'. The most damage they did was cause me to make some spamous posts on the bulletin boards at my space, which I never visit. Thanfully the real myspace.com alerted me to it and I was able to change my email and password. Now I just type in myspace.com into my browser and go directly to the site.

At least now I'll be a little more careful of where Im logging in.

aruna
02-16-2007, 09:51 PM
I have no friends, which is pathetic, .

And now you have 32 friends!

Vincent
02-16-2007, 10:01 PM
http://www.myspace.com/scriitor

Here's mine. Add me and make me feel special.

truelyana
02-19-2007, 11:04 PM

I have just gone and created a myspace account, to see what the big fuss is about lol. :Shrug: I have just added you/my first ever add seeing as I didnt know how to add. It reminds me of a similiar website, I was on when I started using the internet. It was called uboot.com and we created our own nickpages and got to add our own buddies and send chain messages back and forth. So yeah... lol

aruna
02-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Two weeks on, I have 115 friends. I requested people out of 3 groups: AWlers, authors I found interesting, and those who listed my books as their favourites; as well as others fromthe book industry, such as agents. One great contact I now have is Danuta Kean, who is just about THE topmost journalist in England on books and the book market.
Every day, I have one or two friend requests - almost all are authors. Today I got a friend request from Jeff Arch, the screenwriter of Sleepless in Seattle; that was nice! It's like building up a direct network, one person at a time. I do have a look at everyone's page, and it's nice to know that they have also looked at mine. It makes it all very personal. I donlt know if I'll remember everyone's name, though; I rather doubt it! I've got a really, really bad memory for names...

M. K. McWilliams
02-26-2007, 04:14 AM
MySpace is for some people and not others, but I sure wouldn't sit here and bash people for trying what they want to try as a marketing tool. Everyone is different. Go ahead, keep your "professional" sites. Doesn't mean much if your target audience doesn't ever visit it.

Personally, I like MySpace and have met quite a few cool authors through there. Not in person mind you, yet. Yet being the operative word. And yes, there are quite a few Absolute Write-ers there. I also enjoy the WritersCafe.com. Everyone will be different, everyone will hear different things about different places. Oh well. Join MySpace or don't, it's as simple as that. Those who have had success, sweet! Those who haven't, I'm sorry and I hope you find a niche on the internet where you will have success.

My MySpace is www.myspace.com/eirdubrusai Please feel free to join me. We have a group called Word Weavers and we (meaning myself and my friend Jenna "Speaking With Shugaan") have come up with a cool promotional tool for just about anyone. Author Trading Cards. That definately won't be thrown away especially if you sign them and so do your buddies that you help promote with them. Anyway, check it out if you like.

Mel

Michael Murphy
03-02-2007, 09:33 PM
I've only been on My Space about a week. I like these groups: My Space Book Club, The Fiction Files, Independent Bookstores United, and of course Donovan Fans United.

Michael Murphy
03-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Oh, and I forgot to ask whether any of you have found other groups of interest for authors.

AllyWoof
03-02-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm just going to pst the link here. If someone wants to add me feel free, particularly if you are living in Georgia.

http://www.myspace.com/authorette1983

aruna
03-07-2007, 10:25 PM
I have a follower!!!!!

I got the following message today:

Hello ma
how are you doing?i saw your profile and i got to understand that you are a great phylantrophist and a proud mother.I will be glad to make you my mentor and my guardian.thanks

Troo
03-08-2007, 01:22 AM
MySpace has been something of a mixed result for us over at Pantechnicon (I don't have a personal MySpace page). It doesn't seem to have gained us any new readers, but it appears to be working for finding us new writers.

Although we have had our fair share of 'tards leaving us messages like "I red ur sumishun gudliens hwu much will u pay me fr my storie?" We don't even bother replying to those, and we don't feel the slightest bit guilty about it.

It's a lot of effort for very little return, although through selective friending we've managed to contact some authors who we'd like to interview for the mag, and most are very supportive and willing to be harassed. I suppose if they can be bothered to put up a MySpace page themselves then they're kind of asking for it ;)

Basically I wouldn't do it for myself. But because there are two of us maintaining this one page, the effort we both put in when we have the time just about rewards us for it.

That would be www.myspace.com/pantechniconezine, for those who are interested :)

Rainy Night
03-28-2007, 02:45 AM
I heard that there’s some special version of MySpace that you get access to if you get over 1000 friends… so being the curious person that I am... :crazy:

please friend me …

http://www.myspace.com/lscottdunlap

So far I’ve got about 250 friends which are mostly fake celeb pages

Cath
04-02-2007, 05:43 AM
OK - I've indexed you all here: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1237606

Could you add any more MySpace pages in that thread, please. Thanks!

Susie
04-02-2007, 06:17 AM
I'm definitely your friend, CB, even though I'm not on myspace. I'd be too old for that, I'm sure. :D