Guess How Much the New Harry Potter Costs?

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is going to cost 34.99 unless you pre-order!

Discuss.

(If there's already a thread like this, a mod should feel free to delete)

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
No discussion necessary -- I pre-ordered through Amazon and the price is $18.89. They don't bill you until the item is shipped, so why not pre-order?

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
(counts out the US to Aussie conversion on his fingers)

Wow, that's a lot.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As if I needed another reason to pre-order. Yikes! They know we'll pay it. It's like feminine "anti-itch cream." They could charge fifty and you'd pay it. You know you would. Anything to make it stop.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
i can't believe any of you would begrudge that poor woman making some money.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
the woman has toiled in squalor and obscurity, building a franchise, brick by brick, eating ramen noodles while you feasted on big macs and burning her toenails and hair for warmth.

why should she not, at long last, cash in?

commies...

Akuma

Rare Writer Pokemon
Registered
Reaction score
I'm purging myself off the internet when it comes out.

There's no way I'm again letting someone tell me the ending and watch as I squirm and read hoping, hoping, that he wasn't telling the truth, that it was all a cruel hoax, and then reading the very ending I was told and punching a hole in a wall and in my own face.

...but that's just how I'm handling the situation.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Actually that's a point. It is, and a large hardcover can easily be over $30. I'm betting it'll be a 300 pager at least.

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Gee it better be hardcover edition for that price. 18 isn't nearly as bad as 34.99. I haven't read the Harry Potter books but I know a lot of people have. I think its great she's making money with it, but I wonder how long it will take for the movies to catch up to the last book. ;)

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
The last book ran for $40 CDN, and when we strolled over to Zellers, we got it for $25.
This one is listed at $45.99, but if I pre-order at Chapters I can get it for 21.something with the discount. But... I think I'll take my chances at Zellers. I don't like to use my credit card online.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
the woman has toiled in squalor and obscurity, building a franchise, brick by brick, eating ramen noodles while you feasted on big macs and burning her toenails and hair for warmth.

why should she not, at long last, cash in?

commies...

I totally agree. She's not nearly as wealthy as Oprah either. According to something I watched on TV the other day, Oprah had her beat by half a billion dollars! (1.5 billion vs 1.0 billion (net worth)). This last book had better really sell if she's ever going to catch up with Oprah....

;)

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Because, hey, that first billion is nice, but you're nothing without the second billion, right?

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
The last book was either $25 or $30 bucks. I got mine for $16 at Wal-Mart. It's only a couple dollars more, at that price, than a trade paperback.

My-Immortal

Mr. Invisible
Registered
Reaction score
Because, hey, that first billion is nice, but you're nothing without the second billion, right?

Well, if you're sitting right at 1 billion, and you go out and buy a candy bar, you drop below that 1 billion mark and you're no longer a 'billionaire'. You almost need a second billion as a buffer so you aren't bouncing between multi-millionaire and billionaire all the time....you know what I mean? :)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Most chain bookstores are going to have it at a discounted price anyway, right? B&N & Borders? I know my mom got Goblet of Fire at Costco for relatively cheap. I preordered the last one through my roommate who works at Borders (as we have already done for this one), & I'm pretty sure it was a discounted price.

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's greed on the publisher's part, not on JK Rowling's. Does she even have a say on how much the books cost?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[chain_yank]
Sooooo, it's a *bad* thing for an author to make money? :Huh:

(heads to the liberry)
[/chain_yank]

maddythemad

Registered
Reaction score
[chain_yank]
Sooooo, it's a *bad* thing for an author to make money? :Huh:

(heads to the liberry)
[/chain_yank]

Not at all. But 35 dollars is Scholastic being greedy. Scholastic earns billions of dollars on the Harry Potter books-- I bet you that extra money goes to them, not J.K. Rowling. It's not like the $16 extra is keeping Rowling off the streets anyway-- if it's doing anything other than making Scholastic richer, it's keeping some kids with lower amounts of money from getting the book (although I suppose they could always preorder...)

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's a business. They'll charge what the market will bear. Why wouldn't they? It's the last of an incredibly popular series, isn't it?

It's not Bibles, first-aid manuals, or schoolbooks they're talking about. It's entertainment, not a necessity item.

Besides, that price will surely drop a few months down the road.

-------

This notion reminds me of the music industry complaint about Napster -- that illegal downloads take money away from the musicians (true), and that they reduce the money the record companies have to invest in new artists. I don't know how true that is, but it would be equally true for publishers, I'd guess. (There are some VERY good people here who would know.)

So, then your thirty-five clams might help create a publishing opportunity for one of us unknown shmoes. Does that help?

Tanatra

Burning Bright
Registered
Reaction score
The stars at night, are big and bright...
I just pre-ordered my copy at Amazon. Good thing pre-orders seem to be unlimited. I'm certainly not looking forward to a launch fiasco similar to the PS3/Wii madness last year (the Wii madness still hasn't stopped yet!)

I feel a little bad that I didn't request two-day or one-day shipping, now my copy won't arrive until 3-4 days after the release date. :cry:

The ridiculously high price prompted me to do some calculations. Anyone think that this book can sell around 29 million copies? If it does, it may be of the few (perhaps only) books in history to generate a billion dollars in sales.