PDA

View Full Version : Guess How Much the New Harry Potter Costs?

maddythemad
02-02-2007, 05:26 AM
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is going to cost 34.99 unless you pre-order!

Discuss.

(If there's already a thread like this, a mod should feel free to delete)

JDCrayne
02-02-2007, 06:53 AM
No discussion necessary -- I pre-ordered through Amazon and the price is $18.89. They don't bill you until the item is shipped, so why not pre-order?

Vincent
02-02-2007, 06:59 AM
(counts out the US to Aussie conversion on his fingers)

Wow, that's a lot.

Soccer Mom
02-02-2007, 07:04 AM
As if I needed another reason to pre-order. Yikes! They know we'll pay it. It's like feminine "anti-itch cream." They could charge fifty and you'd pay it. You know you would. Anything to make it stop.

William Haskins
02-02-2007, 07:04 AM
i can't believe any of you would begrudge that poor woman making some money.

Nathan Bransford
02-02-2007, 07:06 AM
I was astounded when I saw that price. Wow. No doubt it's partially because it will be really long, but that is just so expensive.

veinglory
02-02-2007, 07:19 AM
Even if it's the biggest one yet, that's quite a price.

William Haskins
02-02-2007, 07:21 AM
the woman has toiled in squalor and obscurity, building a franchise, brick by brick, eating ramen noodles while you feasted on big macs and burning her toenails and hair for warmth.

why should she not, at long last, cash in?

commies...

TsukiRyoko
02-02-2007, 07:21 AM
Who cares how much it costs- it's Harry Potter! I've KILLED over Harry Potter

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-02-2007, 07:24 AM
Man! And I thought Diana Gabaldon's publisher was greedy!

Akuma
02-02-2007, 07:26 AM
I'm purging myself off the internet when it comes out.

There's no way I'm again letting someone tell me the ending and watch as I squirm and read hoping, hoping, that he wasn't telling the truth, that it was all a cruel hoax, and then reading the very ending I was told and punching a hole in a wall and in my own face.

...but that's just how I'm handling the situation.

Rolling Thunder
02-02-2007, 07:30 AM
I take it that price is for the hard cover edition?

veinglory
02-02-2007, 07:34 AM
Actually that's a point. It is, and a large hardcover can easily be over $30. I'm betting it'll be a 300 pager at least.

Pamster
02-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Gee it better be hardcover edition for that price. 18 isn't nearly as bad as 34.99. I haven't read the Harry Potter books but I know a lot of people have. I think its great she's making money with it, but I wonder how long it will take for the movies to catch up to the last book. ;)

Chumplet
02-02-2007, 08:42 AM
The last book ran for $40 CDN, and when we strolled over to Zellers, we got it for $25.
This one is listed at $45.99, but if I pre-order at Chapters I can get it for 21.something with the discount. But... I think I'll take my chances at Zellers. I don't like to use my credit card online.

My-Immortal
02-02-2007, 08:48 AM
the woman has toiled in squalor and obscurity, building a franchise, brick by brick, eating ramen noodles while you feasted on big macs and burning her toenails and hair for warmth.

why should she not, at long last, cash in?

commies...

I totally agree. She's not nearly as wealthy as Oprah either. According to something I watched on TV the other day, Oprah had her beat by half a billion dollars! (1.5 billion vs 1.0 billion (net worth)). This last book had better really sell if she's ever going to catch up with Oprah....

;)

Vincent
02-02-2007, 08:59 AM
Because, hey, that first billion is nice, but you're nothing without the second billion, right?

katiemac
02-02-2007, 09:03 AM
The last book was either $25 or $30 bucks. I got mine for $16 at Wal-Mart. It's only a couple dollars more, at that price, than a trade paperback.

My-Immortal
02-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Because, hey, that first billion is nice, but you're nothing without the second billion, right?

Well, if you're sitting right at 1 billion, and you go out and buy a candy bar, you drop below that 1 billion mark and you're no longer a 'billionaire'. You almost need a second billion as a buffer so you aren't bouncing between multi-millionaire and billionaire all the time....you know what I mean? :)

Sage
02-02-2007, 09:07 AM
Most chain bookstores are going to have it at a discounted price anyway, right? B&N & Borders? I know my mom got Goblet of Fire at Costco for relatively cheap. I preordered the last one through my roommate who works at Borders (as we have already done for this one), & I'm pretty sure it was a discounted price.

maddythemad
02-02-2007, 09:23 AM
I think it's greed on the publisher's part, not on JK Rowling's. Does she even have a say on how much the books cost?

poetinahat
02-02-2007, 09:31 AM
Sooooo, it's a *bad* thing for an author to make money? :Huh:

(heads to the liberry)

maddythemad
02-02-2007, 09:38 AM

(heads to the liberry)

Not at all. But 35 dollars is Scholastic being greedy. Scholastic earns billions of dollars on the Harry Potter books-- I bet you that extra money goes to them, not J.K. Rowling. It's not like the $16 extra is keeping Rowling off the streets anyway-- if it's doing anything other than making Scholastic richer, it's keeping some kids with lower amounts of money from getting the book (although I suppose they could always preorder...)

poetinahat
02-02-2007, 09:45 AM
It's a business. They'll charge what the market will bear. Why wouldn't they? It's the last of an incredibly popular series, isn't it?

It's not Bibles, first-aid manuals, or schoolbooks they're talking about. It's entertainment, not a necessity item.

Besides, that price will surely drop a few months down the road.

-------

This notion reminds me of the music industry complaint about Napster -- that illegal downloads take money away from the musicians (true), and that they reduce the money the record companies have to invest in new artists. I don't know how true that is, but it would be equally true for publishers, I'd guess. (There are some VERY good people here who would know.)

So, then your thirty-five clams might help create a publishing opportunity for one of us unknown shmoes. Does that help?

Tanatra
02-02-2007, 09:50 AM
I just pre-ordered my copy at Amazon. Good thing pre-orders seem to be unlimited. I'm certainly not looking forward to a launch fiasco similar to the PS3/Wii madness last year (the Wii madness still hasn't stopped yet!)

I feel a little bad that I didn't request two-day or one-day shipping, now my copy won't arrive until 3-4 days after the release date. :cry:

The ridiculously high price prompted me to do some calculations. Anyone think that this book can sell around 29 million copies? If it does, it may be of the few (perhaps only) books in history to generate a billion dollars in sales.

TsukiRyoko
02-02-2007, 09:57 AM
I was astounded when I saw that price. Wow. No doubt it's partially because it will be really long, but that is just so expensive.
I don't mind the price. If it were any other book, I'd raise my brow, but it's HARRY POTTER! Not only does Rowling deserve the money in my eyes (I mean, the lady lived on the crumbs in her car for years) but she has worked hard to earn it. Her talent is outstanding, and she busts her butt to get it. Those books are LONG books, and every page is full of energy and balanced out just right. She's definately earned it, methinks.

Vincent
02-02-2007, 10:07 AM
You should see what I had to eat today.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 04:35 PM
Um, people...have none of you heard of LIBRARIES???

Bmwhtly
02-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Guess How Much the New Harry Potter Costs? No, I won't.
Tell us.

Oh, you did. ummm... carry on.

Vincent
02-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Libraries... That's an idea. And if hordes of kids get in my way, hey. I'm bigger than they are.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 04:48 PM
Or, you could always wait 'til the book's free and make do with other novels meanwhile? I did that with HP5, I think it was. With HP6, I bought it from my local supermarket. Cut price, loads of copies (in fact I think they over-ordered) so there were no queues, hand over the cash, take the book home, big armchair, mug of tea, thank you very much and goodnight.

:D

FergieC
02-02-2007, 04:53 PM
The big stores will all discount it to compete with each other: you'd probably have to look really hard to find a full price copy.

Anyway, I bet at the end Harry wakes up in bed at his Aunt's house and we find out that the whole seven books were just a dream :tongue

Christine N.
02-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Tantara, don't fret. I preordered the last two from Amazon, and even if you didn't select the faster shipping, Amazon will upgrade you for free and get it to you on the release date

At least that's what they've done with the last two books. It even came in it's own special Harry Potter mailing carton.

Nah, this time it's a preorder at the bookstore and a midnight maddness party for me.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 04:59 PM
Supermarkets, people! Supermarkets! Walmart might be evil, but they've taken over Asda here and Asda = cheap books = good. :)

I think I'll read t'other 6 as a refresher course.

ChumleyK
02-02-2007, 05:11 PM
Anyway, I bet at the end Harry wakes up in bed at his Aunt's house and we find out that the whole seven books were just a dream :tongue

I hope not! I hate it when books end like that!!

It's going to be insanity trying to get an English version of that book on my small Japanese island. I didn't even know it was coming out soon.

Christine N. - I'm excited for the Harry Potter mailing carton now!!

aadams73
02-02-2007, 05:56 PM
To be honest I'm not surprised. Her books are always super thick and probably cost more than your average 3-400 page hardcover to produce. There's a lesson here for those of us who want to turn in 200K word manuscripts.

Having said that, I've already pre-ordered mine with Amazon :D

BenPanced
02-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Well, considering Scholastic is going to be losing about a third of that when everybody and his Uncle Judy and Aunt Lars buys three copies, one to read, one to seal in a mylar sleeve and store in a kevlar bunker "for collecting purposes", and one to sell on eBay...

Southern_girl29
02-02-2007, 07:34 PM
I don't really mind paying that much. As someone else said, they are pretty long books, plus I figure part of the price is because of the rush job getting it out, too. Besides that, I re-read many times the books that I love, so I will definately get my money's worth out of it.

Kate Thornton
02-02-2007, 07:39 PM
Any news on the spoken word edition? The audios were released at the same time for the past ones - and if you think the H/C is expensive, you should see how much the Audio CDs are!!!

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2007, 07:42 PM
:popcorn:

I must say, you folks are entertaining.

Christine N.
02-02-2007, 08:13 PM
Christine N. - I'm excited for the Harry Potter mailing carton now!!

Oh, yeah, the others had the big Harry Potter logo on the outside, and a big notice saying "DO NOT DELIVER BEFORE <release date>" You knew what was in there.

The postal service HAD to have had them for days before release to make sure they were delivered on time. I think my OOP came Fed Ex, but HBP came from the USPS, but on time and in it's special box.

maddythemad
02-02-2007, 09:41 PM
I'm going to preorder at the local indie bookstore, so it's costing me the full amount. *Sighh* Such is the price for supporting local shops. Anyhoo, I can't wait-- there's going to be a midnight party there, and they always decorate the place AMAZINGLY. And everyone comes dressed up. I didn't last year (yanno, obnoxious little 13-year old that I was, I was worried I'd run into someone from school) but this year I'm going full-out. When it gets closer to the date I'll post my Potter Party Pictures. ;)

Anyone else dressing up? If so, who're you going as?

Southern_girl29
02-02-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm going to preorder at the local indie bookstore, so it's costing me the full amount. *Sighh* Such is the price for supporting local shops. Anyhoo, I can't wait-- there's going to be a midnight party there, and they always decorate the place AMAZINGLY. And everyone comes dressed up. I didn't last year (yanno, obnoxious little 13-year old that I was, I was worried I'd run into someone from school) but this year I'm going full-out. When it gets closer to the date I'll post my Potter Party Pictures. ;)

Anyone else dressing up? If so, who're you going as?

I haven't decided if I'm going to dress up, but I'm definately attending the party. I think I'll probably cover it for the newspaper and write a feature story about it all. I'm also going to pre-order from the bookstore here, where they are having the party. I didn't go to any of the others, but because this is the last one, I'm definately going.

maestrowork
02-02-2007, 10:01 PM
I charge $350/hr for my service, and I don't hear anyone complaining. :)

You pay for what you want, and don't pay for what you don't want. That's the beauty of capitalism.

I personally wouldn't buy it, new. I will wait for the movie -- it'd just cost $8 (matinee).

Christine N.
02-02-2007, 10:12 PM
Hmm, there's an idea. The local indie shop always gives a 15% discount. I'll see if they're having a party.

Normally I would just do the B&N and send my auntie over there with her B&N rewards card when she orders for the rest of the family.

roach
02-02-2007, 10:59 PM
This notion reminds me of the music industry complaint about Napster -- that illegal downloads take money away from the musicians (true), and that they reduce the money the record companies have to invest in new artists. I don't know how true that is, but it would be equally true for publishers, I'd guess. (There are some VERY good people here who would know.)

This would only be true if you assume that every downloaded song represents a lost sale. Meaning that if DownloaderA hadn't been able to download the song s/he would have gone to the store and bought the album the song was on or bought the song from iTunes. This is flawed logic and just one of the many reasons the RIAA needs to be publicly spanked. /off-topic-rant

/on-topic-comment
For everyone who thinks the publisher is being greedy, where do you think that extra money is going to go? To line CEOs pockets (possibly) or to fund the publication of other books (just as possibly)?

Also, there is a fair amount of concern in the publishing industry over what will happen when there aren't any more Harry Potters to sell. Once the seventh book is published there will be maybe one, two more years (the paperback version of book seven in 2008 and then perhaps the hard cover/paperback collection in 2009) of raking in the Harry Potter cash and then what? This franchise has been a huge cash cow and it will soon come to an end. I wouldn't be surprised if the publishers are trying to build a bit of a nest egg to see them through the post-Potter slowdown.

WildScribe
02-02-2007, 11:08 PM
:popcorn:

I must say, you folks are entertaining.

Pass the popcorn?

Christine N.
02-02-2007, 11:11 PM
What they're all doing now is raking through the slush piles looking for the successor.

Submit, submit, submit!

maddythemad
02-02-2007, 11:15 PM
What they're all doing now is raking through the slush piles looking for the successor.

Submit, submit, submit!

I think it's going to be near impossible to find a successor so quickly.

But submit all the same! :)

Vincent
02-03-2007, 06:14 AM
Do we have to be British?

JDCrayne
02-03-2007, 06:19 AM
Any news on the spoken word edition? The audios were released at the same time for the past ones - and if you think the H/C is expensive, you should see how much the Audio CDs are!!!

It's supposed to come out at the same time as the print version. I have all six of the Jim Dale versions, and I really like them. He has an incredibly flexible voice, and got an award for his work on the HP series. I'll order his 7th, plus an extra copy for my daughter and her partner, who are even bigger HP fans than I am.

My-Immortal
02-03-2007, 11:14 AM
I charge $350/hr for my service, and I don't hear anyone complaining. :)

You pay for what you want, and don't pay for what you don't want. That's the beauty of capitalism.

I personally wouldn't buy it, new. I will wait for the movie -- it'd just cost $8 (matinee).

$8 for a matinee! Wow...here it's only $3 for a matinee. (And Ray, since I know you've seen the movie Groundhog Day, you've seen our movie theater - it looks just the same now as it did in the movie (except now there is a small plaque on the outside of the building declaring that the theater was in the movie).

Oh, and Ray...do the ladies over at HOL know you charge $350/hour? ;)

Take care -

My-Immortal
02-03-2007, 11:21 AM

(heads to the liberry)

No, not at all. And my earlier posts weren't a dig toward her or how much her last book is going to cost either. She is a great success story and I wish her only the best. She has brought a lot of joy and entertainment to millions of readers young and old and we should all be so lucky to have a small portion of that kind of success.
:)

Lantern Jack
02-04-2007, 08:17 AM
It's a business. They'll charge what the market will bear. Why wouldn't they? It's the last of an incredibly popular series, isn't it?

It's not Bibles, first-aid manuals, or schoolbooks they're talking about. It's entertainment, not a necessity item.

Besides, that price will surely drop a few months down the road.

-------

So, then your thirty-five clams might help create a publishing opportunity for one of us unknown shmoes. Does that help?

Entertainment isn't a necessity item?

maestrowork
02-04-2007, 09:05 AM
For everyone who thinks the publisher is being greedy, where do you think that extra money is going to go? To line CEOs pockets (possibly) or to fund the publication of other books (just as possibly)?

Having worked for Scholastic, I can tell you the latter is true. Harry Potter basically makes all the cash so that the other stuff gets published and supported, even if they don't make money.

Sage
02-04-2007, 09:07 AM
Having worked for Scholastic, I can tell you the latter is true. Harry Potter basically makes all the cash so that the other stuff gets published and supported, even if they don't make money. Go, Harry! :e2cheer:

FergieC
02-04-2007, 10:25 PM
one to sell on eBay

I've got a first edition of the very first HP book signed to me personally by JK Rowling (it has my name plus I hope you get better soon, I had glandular fever once, so I can sympathise). It's only paperback, not hardback, but even so...what d'you reckon it would be worth on E-Bay? I don't want to sell it though, so it's a hypothetical question...