apparently, I have the kiss of death

Status
Not open for further replies.

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
They could have just sent me a rejection letter, they didn't have to close the magazine!

I was checking the web site of a lit mag I'd submitted a story to, b/c it had been several weeks more than the response time they'd given. Google said the web site was "unavailable" and duotrope says it's "temporarily closed."

Which I'm assuming means I go ahead and take my prose elsewhere.(Although it would have been nice if they had put up notice of impending closure a little sooner, but oh well.)

It's disappointing, I thought this one would have been a good fit for my work, or vice versa, whichever way you wanna look at it.

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Some of us just have that knack. With me it was businesses. For several years it seemed every place I had worked went out of business. My job applications read like a convenient lie.

You can't check them, they closed.

You can't check them either.

Or them.

Them too.

Pretty much all of them. Yeah. Sorry.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Bummer. I can't tell you how many doctors have mysteriously left town after my visits.

I think I'm on physician #4.

I shower and everything.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A writer in my group has a poem that killed three magazines (accepts but closed before publication). I only have one to my credit so far :)

Sury

Word Worker
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bghosh.cavernreal.com
Tough luck there, PG. But I believe it's for a good reason; maybe your story is waiting to get picked up by an even better publication. GOOD LUCK! :)

Sury

janetbellinger

Registered
Reaction score
That's bad luck, but once I had an article accepted by a pretty decent magazien but they went out of business before they published it. Now that really was just my luck. lol

piscesgirl80

Friendly Neighborhood Fish
Registered
Reaction score
This wasn't something I was really "dejected" about, more just a little saddened that another quality publication wasn't able to make it.

Nevertheless, everyone's kind comments and own tales of demise brought a smile to my face, thanks!:D

johnzakour

Dangerous with a Keyboard
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.johnzakour.com
I had that luck with a TV show. In the early 90s I was hired to write gags for a comedians TV talk show. The day after I was hired the show was canceled.

It's just how it goes sometimes.

Novelhistorian

Registered
Reaction score
A few decades ago, I got in on the ground floor of a magazine in Boston. I was the book reviewer, and there was also talk that I might write a column on wine. The definition of seventh heaven, but the magazine closed after one issue. Not only that, a fellow contributor (whom I never met) is now, I understand, a literary agent. Would have been helpful to make her acquaintance, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.