PDA

View Full Version : apparently, I have the kiss of death

piscesgirl80
02-02-2007, 12:48 AM
They could have just sent me a rejection letter, they didn't have to close the magazine!

I was checking the web site of a lit mag I'd submitted a story to, b/c it had been several weeks more than the response time they'd given. Google said the web site was "unavailable" and duotrope says it's "temporarily closed."

Which I'm assuming means I go ahead and take my prose elsewhere.(Although it would have been nice if they had put up notice of impending closure a little sooner, but oh well.)

It's disappointing, I thought this one would have been a good fit for my work, or vice versa, whichever way you wanna look at it.

Del
02-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Some of us just have that knack. With me it was businesses. For several years it seemed every place I had worked went out of business. My job applications read like a convenient lie.

You can't check them, they closed.

You can't check them either.

Or them.

Them too.

Pretty much all of them. Yeah. Sorry.

MidnightMuse
02-02-2007, 02:05 AM
Bummer. I can't tell you how many doctors have mysteriously left town after my visits.

I think I'm on physician #4.

I shower and everything.

veinglory
02-02-2007, 02:37 AM
A writer in my group has a poem that killed three magazines (accepts but closed before publication). I only have one to my credit so far :)

Sury
02-02-2007, 10:43 AM
Tough luck there, PG. But I believe it's for a good reason; maybe your story is waiting to get picked up by an even better publication. GOOD LUCK! :)

Sury

Odile
02-02-2007, 05:20 PM
Sorry,

:roll:

janetbellinger
02-02-2007, 05:38 PM
That's bad luck, but once I had an article accepted by a pretty decent magazien but they went out of business before they published it. Now that really was just my luck. lol

Freckles
02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
PG, look at it this way, maybe your work was SO good that it crashed their site!

piscesgirl80
02-02-2007, 10:21 PM
This wasn't something I was really "dejected" about, more just a little saddened that another quality publication wasn't able to make it.

Nevertheless, everyone's kind comments and own tales of demise brought a smile to my face, thanks!:D

johnzakour
02-04-2007, 12:53 AM
I had that luck with a TV show. In the early 90s I was hired to write gags for a comedians TV talk show. The day after I was hired the show was canceled.

It's just how it goes sometimes.

Novelhistorian
02-04-2007, 01:29 AM
A few decades ago, I got in on the ground floor of a magazine in Boston. I was the book reviewer, and there was also talk that I might write a column on wine. The definition of seventh heaven, but the magazine closed after one issue. Not only that, a fellow contributor (whom I never met) is now, I understand, a literary agent. Would have been helpful to make her acquaintance, maybe.