Authors Guild Insurance

Status
Not open for further replies.

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used the health insurance from Authors Guild? Is it worth it?

Any additional comments about Authors Guild that might be helpful?

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
As the plans vary by state, I think you'd need an opinion from someone in your state. The carriers (CIGNA, etc.) all look reputable, but I don't know how the plans work.

I like it that they provide contract reviews for members.

Here's a link to the membership rules - http://www.authorsguild.org/?p=191

hopeful

Registered
Reaction score
I actually like being a member of The Authors Guild, in large part because I really enjoy their quarterly bulletin. I find the interviews and articles very interesting. And I really like the detailed pieces they do on what's going on in the courts vis-a-vis writers, literary matters, etc.

They also offer a website design service, which I am considering using, though I have not as of yet. Their websites aren't super fancy or sophisticated by any stretch, but they "get the job done" in terms of getting your information to potential readers in a clear, direct way.

Also, I like their "sliding scale" policy regarding dues. Depending on your earnings, you can pay the full rate ($90 per year) or you can pay less.

I hope this information is useful. (I can't comment specifically on their insurance offerings because I have not investigated that particular service.)

-hopeful

peevy

keeping my head
Registered
Reaction score
There are so many you can join--Authors Guild, SFWA, SCBWI--so it's hard to know where to put your money.

I do know that you have to be a published author to join the first one, and not for the other two.

Anyone have any prefrence among these three?

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
SFWA requires members to have either one paid sale of a book or three paid sales of short fiction to qualifying venues.

SFWA membership requirements

I'm a member of SFWA, NINC, and the Authors Guild. SFWA and NINC (like SCBWI, RWA, HWA, and MWA) are more genre oriented, and good for networking. The Authors Guild and NWU are more about advocacy and issues that affect all writers and journalists.

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.