PDA

View Full Version : A non-attention-seeking thread (honest).

scarletpeaches
02-01-2007, 06:01 PM
Hello.

Who missed me? :D

C.bronco
02-01-2007, 06:04 PM
I was at a loss. What happened to your vest?

aadams73
02-01-2007, 06:05 PM
W00t! Good to have you back!

I thought of you the other night when Marc Antony(AKA James Purefoy) was naked in ROME.

scarletpeaches
02-01-2007, 06:06 PM
I was at a loss. What happened to your vest?

I removed the vest while I was writing my fiction novel. :D

Ol' Fashioned Girl
02-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Welcome home! Of course you were missed!

Uh... just how long were you gone? :D

giftedrhonda
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
how did your writing go?

dancingandflying
02-01-2007, 06:11 PM
This post has been up for 4 minutes and it's had 5 people post! NOT FAIR!
:goes to cry in corner:
Alice. :D

scarletpeaches
02-01-2007, 06:12 PM
Since last year! ;) I didn't hit the finish line, sadly. But I've learned a lot about self-discipline in the meantime. It's not any particular website that swallows up my time, though this one is damnably attractive. There are always other sites where I can waste my time, so I just need to stop whining and get on with writing. Another 5k to go and I'm done; on the home stretch now.

It was good to have a break from AW, though - rather than reading all the writing tips in the novels forum, I figured, "I self banned so I can't reply so I won't bother reading threads I can't contribute to." So I didn't.

And I wrote more.

Now. I am going to make a set-in-stone timetable for writing, possibly even go back to pen and ink. You can't connect to the internet with a notepad and pen. Then when I've taken control of myself, I'll be able to use the computer more wisely in future.

Work first, surfing second.

C.bronco
02-01-2007, 06:13 PM
I removed the vest while I was writing my fiction novel. :D
Phew, that's a relief. I thought something sinister might have happened to it.

scarletpeaches
02-01-2007, 06:16 PM
The vest will return for editing purposes once I've got the final 5k of my 1st draft done.

Bmwhtly
02-01-2007, 06:19 PM
Glad to have back peaches!
glad you got some work done too. 5k left? that's pretty impressive. Happy for ya.

scarletpeaches
02-01-2007, 06:21 PM
I have a feeling I've got too much story left to fit into 5k, but 65k was my original target. I knew I'd more than likely go over that which would make me feel good, so I deliberately underestimated myself.

I'm at the, "Why the heck am I doing this; I'll be a complete failure forever and no-one will publish this," stage...I take that as a sign I'm nearly finished Draft #1 anyway. That's what I tell myself.

Bmwhtly
02-01-2007, 06:24 PM
That seems like a healthy way of looking at it.

But ask someone who's been published.

maestrowork
02-01-2007, 06:29 PM
It's normal. Listen to this (http://web.mac.com/raymond_k_wong/iWeb/Stories%20of%20My%20Life/Podcast/AB14B751-FC75-4D43-AF3A-6E85054F38AF.html). ;)

scarletpeaches
02-01-2007, 06:39 PM
Loved it - especially the part about wanting to tell the truth but hiding behind the veil of make-believe because it feels safer. :)

It's spooky how you touched on fiction writers being guarded in their personal lives.

I like this quote from Barbara Taylor Bradford: "A novel is a monumental lie that must have the absolute ring of truth."

I'm a bit concerned about your voice, though, Ray. You sound hoarse. Try some cough linctus. :D

Azure Skye
02-01-2007, 07:09 PM
Welcome back SP!

I missed your wit.

writerterri
02-01-2007, 09:40 PM
me. :D

Celia Cyanide
02-01-2007, 09:54 PM
Hello.

Who missed me? :D

I missed you.

J. Weiland
02-01-2007, 09:58 PM
What vest? :D

Chumplet
02-01-2007, 11:11 PM
Nice to see you back. I admire your self-discipline. I spend way too much time here.

Jaycinth
02-01-2007, 11:23 PM
I missed you. I missed the cynicism.

Good go on the writing though. You'll be my hero today.

benbradley
02-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Since last year! ;) I didn't hit the finish line, sadly. But I've learned a lot about self-discipline in the meantime. It's not any particular website that swallows up my time, though this one is damnably attractive. There are always other sites where I can waste my time, so I just need to stop whining and get on with writing. Another 5k to go and I'm done; on the home stretch now.

That's great, so banning yourself did get you to write more, and at least close in on your deadline. But the "another 5k to go" reminds me of running a half marathon, around mile 10...anyway.

I recall when you asked to be self-banned, only a few weeks after I started here. I've been posting here every day, writing a lot more in posts here than in actual fiction (even if you count as fiction my two FF stories and two "story in six words" entries). I gotta see if I can change that.

It was good to have a break from AW, though - rather than reading all the writing tips in the novels forum, I figured, "I self banned so I can't reply so I won't bother reading threads I can't contribute to." So I didn't.

And I wrote more.Yay!

Now. I am going to make a set-in-stone timetable for writing, possibly even go back to pen and ink. You can't connect to the internet with a notepad and pen. I knew there was a good reason notpad and pen are so out of style thesedays. Of course, most people aren't writers.

Then when I've taken control of myself, I'll be able to use the computer more wisely in future.

Work first, surfing second.Doesn't sound like much fun, but I may have to look into it.

Akuma
02-02-2007, 12:52 AM
Welcome back.

scarletpeaches
02-02-2007, 01:25 AM
Behold, my brethren! Tis like the second coming.

Or, the return of an attention seeker who likes to have her own threads and talks about writing more than she writes. You choose. :D

Thanks all, I feel so loved. :D

Akuma
02-02-2007, 01:30 AM
Behold, my brethren! Tis like the second coming.

Or, the return of an attention seeker who likes to have her own threads and talks about writing more than she writes. You choose. :D

Thanks all, I feel so loved. :D

Now, go write. ;)