SNOW DAY!

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
~***~We have a snow day~*:snoopy:*~We have a snow day~***~

I took puppy out for her walk at 6:a.m. this morning and I couldn't believe my eyes!

It's been so long since I've had an honest-to-goodness snow day that I don't know what to do! Every county in my region has closed their schools and there are wrecks all over the place.

I've savoring a hot bowl of porridge with brown sugar and a little pumpkin spice and sipping coffee from my coffee press. What a nice day it is already.

How much snow do we have???? About an inch :ROFL:

(I live in one of those areas that panics at the mere mention of snow)

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations.

Our schools are on a 2 hour delay. I haven't looked out the window yet but I bet there's nothing out there.

Let me tell you about our wonderfull @sshat of a boss.
"I'm going to be late tomorrow because I live in 'Y' county; you all live in 'X' county and there's no advisory for you so you have to show up'.
(Even though our schools are on two hour delay)

I wanted to say, 'well, you know, we like it better when you're not here so why don't you take the whole day?' :rant:

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
That's pretty funny! There's not a county anywhere around here on a delay. Everything is closed. When I was a kid, we had REAL snow days with enough snow to build a snowman. I wish east Tennessee got as much snow as we did in WV when I was little.

Puppy didn't know what to think about it this morning. She was using her nose as a snowplow and running around.

I doubt anyone will be in my office this morning except for the handful who would work if they were on their deathbeds. I'll probably go on in later this morning after the sun is up if it starts to melt off, but they are actually saying that we'll get more snow throughout the day.

It's not that I think I can't drive in this "blizzard". It's that I don't trust anyone ELSE on the road to not drive like an idiot. Like I said, there are already several wrecks out there this morning. I'll wait until it thins out and the sun is up and then probably roll on in myself.

Last edited:

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Puppy didn't know what to think about it this morning. She was using her nose as a snowplow and running around.

:ROFL: I can see that. Wish you had a picture.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Let me tell you about our wonderfull @sshat of a boss.
"I'm going to be late tomorrow because I live in 'Y' county; you all live in 'X' county and there's no advisory for you so you have to show up'.
(Even though our schools are on two hour delay)

I wanted to say, 'well, you know, we like it better when you're not here so why don't you take the whole day?' :rant:
I've had bosses like that. Unfortunately, they never took the day or even the morning off.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We got almost nothing in Nashville.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I just heard that it's expected to continue snowing until this afternoon! YAY! Maybe an inch and a half!!

alleycat said:
We got almost nothing in Nashville.
Sorry about your luck. But hey...you guys get the best tornadoes though, right??

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry about your luck. But hey...you guys get the best tornadoes though, right??
Considering I just had to drive across town, I don't consider it bad luck at all.

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Carole, yes it's important you watch out for the idiot drivers out and about. The news was talking about all kinds of accidents this morning, most of them happened yesterday when the stuff first started. Guess they thought a little ice and snow wouldn't hurt anything. Then there was the driver who drove off the road this morning because he was too close to the salt truck and the salt broke his windshield. Sheesh.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
We're expecting the snow tonight - here's to hoping, but I know my officcce never closes.

But I can work remotely...

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I could work remotely. Some in my office can, but I don't have the main program I use at work installed on my home computer so I am kinda stuck.

ritinrider said:
The news was talking about all kinds of accidents this morning, most of them happened yesterday when the stuff first started.

That happens here pretty often, even when it's just raining. As if Knoxville drivers weren't bad enough already, when it rains or snows, all hell breaks loose. I swear, I think people drive FASTER around here in bad weather. Then there's grandpa driving 30 mph in the left lane with a pack of cars going about 80 who run up on him. It's never a good thing.

About two weeks ago there was a really bad thunderstorm just about at 5:00 rush-hour. There was this chick behind me when the road we were on was merging into another. At first I thought she was going to plow right into the back of me, but she didn't. What did she do? She went up the right shoulder, split the two merging lanes down the center BETWEEN me and a big truck, flipped both of us off as she ran up the middle and then bobbed and weaved in and out of traffic until she got off at one of then next exits. I thought I was gonna see a big-time wreck that day. She looked to be about 18 or 19. Some people shouldn't be allowed out of the house!! :D

Last edited:

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Porridge?

You know, I've always heard of porridge, usually associated with the B&E by Goldilocks into the home of the Three Bears, but in real life? I've never seen it, don't know what it is.
Think oatmeal.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, just sit in the corner and eat your curds and whey.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
But it's made with peas, right?

Peas porridge hot.
Peas porridge cold.
Peas porridge in a pot.
9 days old.

Ew!

My porridge was oats. :D

From Wikipedia - Porridge - is a simple dish made by boiling oats (normally crushed oats, occasionally oatmeal) or another cereal in water, milk or both. Oat and semolina porridge are the most popular varieties in many countries.

Pease porridge - The origins of this rhyme are unknown; it takes its name from a type of porridge made from peas, pease pudding, also known as pease pottage (in Middle English, "pease" was treated as a mass noun, similar to "oatmeal" and it is from that we get the singular pea and plural peas).
Where the terms "pease pudding" and "pease pottage" are used, the lyrics of the rhyme are altered accordingly.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Aw, no fair. We never get a snow day. My kids walk to school and the place NEVER closes for snow. I live where it's common to get 20 cm overnight. Snowbanks that tower over our heads are the norm (or at least they were before global warming). We don't brake for snow around here.

Cool that you get a snow day, though. Enjoy!

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
When I worked/lived in Atlanta, they shut down the city because it "snowed." It wasn't even 1/4 of an inch. I laughed and enjoyed the quiet, traffic-free roads very much.

Southern_girl29

Registered
Reaction score
We got snow, too, a little over an inch. When my three year old walked outside, she said, "Mommy, it's amazin'." LOL.

BardSkye

Barbershoppin' Harmony Whore
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
About two weeks ago there was a really bad thunderstorm just about at 5:00 rush-hour. There was this chick behind me when the road we were on was merging into another. At first I thought she was going to plow right into the back of me, but she didn't. What did she do? She went up the right shoulder, split the two merging lanes down the center BETWEEN me and a big truck, flipped both of us off as she ran up the middle and then bobbed and weaved in and out of traffic until she got off at one of then next exits. I thought I was gonna see a big-time wreck that day. She looked to be about 18 or 19. Some people shouldn't be allowed out of the house!! :D

Last winter we had a guy doing exactly that sort of thing without even the excuse of weather.

Things really got slowed down just afterwards, with traffic almost at a standstill. No, he didn't wrap himself around a power pole. We passed him about a quarter-mile further along, pulled over by a cop. About half the vehicles going by were slowing long enough to hand a second cop their names and phone numbers to add to the reckless driving charges.

Revenge is very sweet.

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
Weeeeeeeeee! I can't wait, Carole :D I so love the puppy snow plow thing. Kola does a great job of it, too.

We're getting it, starting tonight and going into tomorrow.

Supposedly, 3"-5" when all is said and done. I'll believe it when I see it. 'Course, I'll be thrilled, if it's true :hooray:

tlblack

nothing simple here
Registered
Reaction score
Snow would have been much better than freezing rain and sleet. Schools were on delay because of icy bridges. It's raining now and it's been interesting watching the ice fall off the trees in spear shapes. Since the house is surrounded by trees, it's looked like some freak hail storm. I think I will wait until the rest of it drops before I venture out.