Status
Not open for further replies.

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Okay, I just received an interesting rejection. The agent said the "writing is charming, the story is engaging, but I'm afraid I don't handle young adult."

Now, this is a fantasy series that was written a number of years ago. I'm guessing that, with the success of J.K. Rowling and some others who are writing longer books for the younger readers, that what I have always assumed was adult fantasy has blurred the lines a bit.

So, my fellow scribes, have you ever changed the category of a book and started targeting a different market? If so, did it confuse the heck out of your brain matter to do it?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I never have, but why not have a re-read of your book. If it may be more marketable as a YA, well why not? As long as you don't feel you are changing the heart of the novel . . .

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
Not after the fact, but during the writing of it. I had one that I started as a dramatic women's fiction, ended up being a horror novel.

If the agent said it was charming and engaging, what's the problem? Give it a read-through, remove anything that doesn't fit with YA, and submit elsewhere.

Reaction score
Okay, I just received an interesting rejection. The agent said the "writing is charming, the story is engaging, but I'm afraid I don't handle young adult."

Now, this is a fantasy series that was written a number of years ago. I'm guessing that, with the success of J.K. Rowling and some others who are writing longer books for the younger readers, that what I have always assumed was adult fantasy has blurred the lines a bit.

So, my fellow scribes, have you ever changed the category of a book and started targeting a different market? If so, did it confuse the heck out of your brain matter to do it?

Funny, the same thing happened to me. I wrote what could be described as a chicklit novel; I certainly said as much in the proposal and I got a rejection back on the grounds the agent didn't represent children's books.

Go figure.

I wondered if they'd even read the first chapter. Then I started submitting to other agents instead.

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
My first novel (I was absolutely certain) was for adults, and that was how I marketed it. When I found an agent, she felt it was a YA book, because of the teenage protagonist. That's how it eventually sold.

- Victoria

EngineerTiger

Writing HF Again, Thank God
Registered
Reaction score
Website
grayarmybrat.com
Thanks everyone for the information. After a quick scan comparing it to current adult fantasy and the more popular YA fantasy, I have a feeling I should re-write the query and market it to the YA agents that handle fantasy. Ah, the fun I've missed in my 12 year self-imposed exile. I had forgotten how much I enjoy writing and talking about writing. Very glad to have found this community. Thanks for the support.

Status
Not open for further replies.