PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever changed the category?

EngineerTiger
02-01-2007, 03:40 AM
Okay, I just received an interesting rejection. The agent said the "writing is charming, the story is engaging, but I'm afraid I don't handle young adult."

Now, this is a fantasy series that was written a number of years ago. I'm guessing that, with the success of J.K. Rowling and some others who are writing longer books for the younger readers, that what I have always assumed was adult fantasy has blurred the lines a bit.

So, my fellow scribes, have you ever changed the category of a book and started targeting a different market? If so, did it confuse the heck out of your brain matter to do it?

Toothpaste
02-01-2007, 04:27 AM
I never have, but why not have a re-read of your book. If it may be more marketable as a YA, well why not? As long as you don't feel you are changing the heart of the novel . . .

janetbellinger
02-01-2007, 04:30 AM
I have changed the category but I still met with rejection. lol

Siddow
02-01-2007, 07:06 PM
Not after the fact, but during the writing of it. I had one that I started as a dramatic women's fiction, ended up being a horror novel.

If the agent said it was charming and engaging, what's the problem? Give it a read-through, remove anything that doesn't fit with YA, and submit elsewhere.

scarletpeaches
02-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Okay, I just received an interesting rejection. The agent said the "writing is charming, the story is engaging, but I'm afraid I don't handle young adult."

Now, this is a fantasy series that was written a number of years ago. I'm guessing that, with the success of J.K. Rowling and some others who are writing longer books for the younger readers, that what I have always assumed was adult fantasy has blurred the lines a bit.

So, my fellow scribes, have you ever changed the category of a book and started targeting a different market? If so, did it confuse the heck out of your brain matter to do it?

Funny, the same thing happened to me. I wrote what could be described as a chicklit novel; I certainly said as much in the proposal and I got a rejection back on the grounds the agent didn't represent children's books.

Go figure.

I wondered if they'd even read the first chapter. Then I started submitting to other agents instead.

victoriastrauss
02-01-2007, 09:11 PM
My first novel (I was absolutely certain) was for adults, and that was how I marketed it. When I found an agent, she felt it was a YA book, because of the teenage protagonist. That's how it eventually sold.

- Victoria

EngineerTiger
02-01-2007, 09:53 PM
Thanks everyone for the information. After a quick scan comparing it to current adult fantasy and the more popular YA fantasy, I have a feeling I should re-write the query and market it to the YA agents that handle fantasy. Ah, the fun I've missed in my 12 year self-imposed exile. I had forgotten how much I enjoy writing and talking about writing. Very glad to have found this community. Thanks for the support.