Aqua Teen Hunger Force Bomb Scare

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/31/boston.bombscare/index.html

A group of electronic light boards featuring an adult cartoon character triggered bomb scares around Boston on Wednesday, spurring authorities to close two bridges and a stretch of the Charles River before determining the devices were harmless. Turner Broadcasting Co., the parent company of CNN, said the devices contained harmless magnetic lights aimed at promoting the late-night Adult Swim cartoon "Aqua Teen Hunger Force." Law enforcement sources said the devices displayed one of the "Mooninites," outer-space delinquents who appear frequently on the show, greeting visitors with a raised middle finger.
:ROFL:

Great marketing campaign, bad taste, or overreaction??

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
The ATHF creators will have a FIELD day with that. LO-Friggin-L!

Paranoia is so stupid. Stupider than Meatwad.

Kentuk

I want to write what I want to write
Registered
Reaction score
Ho! another example of poor writing/reporting. It didn't state what people and authorities found alarming about the signs. I'm left wondering.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Apparently they thought they were bombs. They even tried to detonate one.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
The best part - the boxes have been in place for 2 weeks in 10 different cities.

What is wrong with Boston?

Note to actual terrorists - Bostonians are paranoid, but really really lazy.

Dawno

Shiny!
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
someplace around here, anyone seen my keys?
CNN reports: "In addition, the Pentagon said U.S. Northern Command was monitoring the situation from its headquarters in Colorado Springs, Colorado, but said none of its units were sent to assist."

They were all too busy laughing hysterically at the idiocy of the whole thing.

There's a great discussion going on at Making Light, btw.

Another great link: http://community.livejournal.com/b0st0n/4867619.html

best comment on that LJ so far:
http://community.livejournal.com/b0st0n/4867619.html?thread=49853475#t49853475

Last edited:

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
Do you have any idea what this did to my commute?????

Reaction score
The only person who should be arrested is Ted Turner.

But I bet he let's some low level hump take the rap.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
You think "over reaction" but consider this

The area where they were located is within a 10 mile radius of
LNG Tankers
Oil Tankers for several oil companies
Transit system
Major Roadways, tunnels and business district...

Reaction score
070131_boston_hlarg_3p.standard.jpg

"It's the light bright guy! Run for your lives!!!!"

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
070131_boston_hlarg_3p.standard.jpg

"It's the light bright guy! Run for your lives!!!!"

Yes,, once they were out of their packaging...
But the first one was on an overpass , strapped to a steel beam.. of course the rest should have been "Duh"

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?
hoax (hōks) n.
1. An act intended to deceive or trick.
2. Something that has been established or accepted by fraudulent means.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition
Copyright © 2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company.
Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

I don't understand how they can arrest anyone for this. The police are calling it a hoax, but all I see is advertising gone wrong. Who exactly is trying to deceive whom here?

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand how they can arrest anyone for this. The police are calling it a hoax, but all I see is advertising gone wrong. Who exactly is trying to deceive whom here?

It's the CYA system. Our politicians think if they don't "blame" someone for tying up funds for the bomb squad, FBI, extra police, shutting down the transit system, closing major roadways and making us go through traffic similar to the "Big Dig" fiasco... they would look silly..

*CYA = Cover Your A$$

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I am going to be very interested to see the charges they file against this person.

This piqued my interest enough to do a bit of research. I just can't seem to find any statute that this falls under. Of course this doesn't mean that there isn't one out there, but I bet they get creative with the charges. Talk about continuing the waste of resources.

Last edited:

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I don't watch ATHF very often, but I totally will now.

ANd I want one of those suspicious devices for myself.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I've never even heard of this show, but I hope these people rot in jail for what they did. Stupid idea. Let's set up these electronic devices that might be construed as bombs in this terror-sensitive climate we currently have, send a city into panic, and cost thousands in manhours as the city tries to get a handle on what's going on.

Hey, great idea.

Don't people think things through before they do them?

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
Here in Philly there were about 40-50 of 'em. They violate a huge bunch of rules, they said what they were last night on the news, but I forget what they were. TBS is probably going to face huge fines.

They also placed them in places like bridges and on overpasses... duh. Homeland Security and the Counter Terrorism people are miffed.

Jack Bauer's been sent in. :D

The show is on the Cartoon Network.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I've never even heard of this show, but I hope these people rot in jail for what they did. Stupid idea. Let's set up these electronic devices that might be construed as bombs in this terror-sensitive climate we currently have.

Hey, great idea.

Don't people think things through before they do them?
I disagree that they need to rot in jail. They are charging two employees, who probably figured that the company had permission to set these up, with placing a hoax device and disorderly conduct. These weren't set up as hoax devices. A hoax still requires forethought. If Boston wants to hold someone responsible, then go after the companies.

Stupid idea? Absolutely.

Should the company make restitution for the money spent to clean these up? Absolutely.

But to throw people in jail for what is being called a "hoax", no absolutely not.

If people were thrown in jail every time they did something stupid (yet not criminal) then there wouldn't be anyone left to pay taxes to support those jails.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
If people were thrown in jail every time they did something stupid (yet not criminal) then there wouldn't be anyone left to pay taxes to support those jails.
No, the rest of us who think before we act would be left.

Sorry, but it was a hoax, intended or not. It brought out the bomb squad. These guys should be jailed and everyone at Cartoon Network should be jailed. It was a stupid stunt.

You'd think at least one person at the board meeting would have had some common sense and said, "You know, they might think these are bombs. Are you sure this is a good idea?"

Jean Marie

calm waters ahead
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jeanmariewiesen.com
The fines will be the equivalent of pocket change for Ted Turner. Probably his idea...but he never inhaled, either. *ahem*

Marketing ideas? Nothing wrong w/ them, on basic principle. However, common sense sometimes needs to be applied in general circumstances.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I have no problem with marketing "ideas." It's publicity "stunts" in all shapes and forms that I have a problem with.

Like the lady who died from drinking too much water for some promotional stunt for a radio show.

I find it hard to believe that at these big corporations there isn't even one voice of reason in the group.

MMcC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maureenmccarrie.blogspot.com
Bostonians have had huge sections of tunnel fall on them and kill people. Bostonians foiled two terrorist plots by paying attention and reporting suspicious items under bridges.

The city wasn't shut down. Traffic was stopped very briefly while a device that looked (deliberately) like a large microchip was removed and detonated for safety's sake. The other devices were removed and within 3 hours the 4, total, were identified and traffic never hit a particular crisis. The idiot who planted them is in custody less than 24 hours after the first commuter spotted the first promo item and reported it.

Placing anything that looks mechanical under bridges and significant buildings in a port city is stupid in this day and age.

What's REALLY stupid is how everyone in the country thinks shutting down the Charles river was a huge deal. Bostonians were in hysterics over the coverage, the reaction being so overblown (when ours was NOT), and the somber depression newscasters elsewhere expressed over a frozen river used for rowing and duck polluting being "shut down."