How to quickly make a change?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zwerdna

Registered
Reaction score
Im trying to write a short essay as an assignment, and am having trouble trying to quickly change the setting. Im looking for any phrases to use that wont sound too cliche like "out of nowhere". Any help will be much appriciated.

zwerdna

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, yes, I should have included that :p.

The setting is a very serene autumn day just beginning to settle into night, and I am trying to introduce the scream of a hawk patrolling above.

limitedtimeauthor

Super duper user
Registered
Reaction score
So what was it like to you? You're kicking around on a serene autumn day that's just beginning to settle into night, and the scream of a hawk patrolling above does what to you? Is it unsettling? Alarming? Exciting? Ominous?

You may not need to say "out of nowhere, we heard the scream of a hawk." You could convey the serene atmosphere, say what needs saying about it, then start a new paragraph:

But the sharp scream of a hawk patrolling above broke through the silence and reminded us that all was not well.

Or:

When we heard the sharp scream of a hawk patrolling overhead, both of us were alight with excitement. "It's back!" we yelled together.

Hope that helps. I like your description of the autumn day.

ltd.

Status
Not open for further replies.