Status
Not open for further replies.

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Anyone know if that was a real book dedication, or just a funny example someone made up as an argument in favor of the serial comma? I can't find a reference, just lots of people calling it "apocryphal."

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wiki says it apocryphal. I would guess that since an actual book is never cited (that I've seen) that someone made it up as an example.

There is an actually case of a famous writer leaving out a comma in his will and therefore making his true intention impossible to determine. I can't remember who that was at the moment (hey, it's five am where I am).

Deleted member 42

I first found it in a textbook published in the seventies; I think it was made up.

The Serial Comma Rules !

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i knew the title was from that comma example, but for some reason, i was totally expecting jenna to come out as a hardcore objectivist.

darn.

that wouldve been funny.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I agree. I love the serial comma, even when it doesn't necessarily clear up ambiguity. In tech writing, we use it every time. The marketing docs my company produces don't use it (as a rule), which can lead to some hilarious ambiguity (like the Ayn Rand and God example). It's amazing how people don't see the problem, even when it's pointed out.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I agree. I love the serial comma, even when it doesn't necessarily clear up ambiguity. In tech writing, we use it every time. The marketing docs my company produces don't use it (as a rule), which can lead to some hilarious ambiguity (like the Ayn Rand and God example). It's amazing how people don't see the problem, even when it's pointed out.
I hate tech writing for that fact, that many companies don't use a comma before "and" in those instances. So then when I'm writing fiction I have to think, to comma, or not to comma?

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Thanks!

Know what's funny? I've never actually heard/seen a writer take the opposite side. There are plenty of us die-hard "Go, serial comma!" people, and I don't know any who would say, "Die, serial comma, die!" Yet plenty of people do leave it out. Are they just not particularly opinionated about it?

Deleted member 42

Oh dear lord Jenna . . . would that I could say the same.

I've seen writers get in each other's face over this more times than I can count.

And, speaking as an editor, you are entering dangerous territory when you edit a non-serial lover's prose and make it serial.

Editors, though, editors are the worst. I once naively took two editors at a convention to a bar, thinking to make peace with the aid of the barley and the rye.

I had a 175.00 tab, pre tip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
I remember (or at least I think I remember) being taught in grade school that the comma before the "and" was optional. I must confess, I don't see any ambiguity with or without the comma. What am I missing here?

Oh, just a minute. She's offering Ayn Rand and God to her parents? Still, it seems to me that in the context of a sentence, an alternate reading is not likely to jump up and scream for attention.

Tish Davidson

Registered
Reaction score
This is really weird. I copied your quote using the copy function on my computer and plugged it into the Google search box. The quote says "To my parents, Ayn Rand and God" What comes up in the Google search box is "department of homeland security research interests." If I copy it into a Word document, it comes out as [FONT=&quot]"To my parents, Ayn Rand and God" [/FONT]

Does this happen to anyone else?

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's pretty straight forward. I don't see how this can be confusing.
To me, it would be confusing either way (and would be better if it was reworded), but what if it was written without the full name?

To my parents, Jenna and William.

vs.

To my parents, Jenna, and William.

At least in the second example the reader would have a clue that it's to "my parents" AND "Jenna" AND "William".

Personally, I use the serial comma, but I don't think it's too important whether it's used or not in fiction, but it is in non-fiction because there's a good chance that at some point a writer will have to use it to make sense of a series. If you're going to have to use it sometimes, why not use it in all cases.

Now if I can just figure out why I'm offering an opinion in the Grammar forum. I better get outta here before someone finds my fifth-grade English report card.

;-)

Last edited:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
To me, it would be confusing either way (and would be better if it was reworded), but what if it was written without the full name?

vs.

At least in the second example the reader would have a clue that it's to "my parents" AND "Jenna" AND "William".

Personally, I use the serial comma, but I don't think it's too important whether it's used or not in fiction, but it is in non-fiction because there's a good chance that at some point a writer will have to use it to make sense of a series. If you're going to have to use it sometimes, why not use it in all cases.

Now if I can just figure out why I'm offering an opinion in the Grammar forum. I better get outta here before someone finds my fifth-grade English report card.

;-)

I think a good rule of thumb might be whether the two items separated by the "and" are somehow related. For instance, "...and her daughters, Scarlet and Rachel" vs. "...and her daughters, Scarlet, and Rachel." The first one, at least to me, implies that it's referring to two people (her daughters, who are named Scarlet and Rachel) and the second sounds like it's referring to her daughters, another person named Scarlet, and yet another person named Rachel.

I hope that sort of makes sense :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I heard that a computer manual writer used it in his acknowledgement page...but I don't know which writer or which manual? I don't even know if it's true?

ErylRavenwell

Banned
Reaction score

vs.

;-)

Hmm, I know, but this is not my point. Were it: To my parents, God and Ayn Rand, perhaps, I say perhaps, one could be misled to think one of his parents is God Rand. But God stands alone after the conjunction; there is little room for confusion here.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I know, but this is not my point. Were it: To my parents, God and Ayn Rand, perhaps, I say perhaps, one could be misled to think one of his parents is God Rand. But God stands alone after the conjunction; there is little room for confusion here.
Unless the person were talking about GOD, & not a person named "God." Which is part of what makes it so funny.

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
JennaGlatzer said:
Are they just not particularly opinionated about it?

I read that and thought, "I know! How can you not care?" Then again, people who aren't as interested in language probably think it's insane to even think about it, much less argue the point. Which is probably why those bizarre arguments I've seen about whether Windows or Mac, Explorer or Firefox is better seem so strange to me but make absolutely perfect sense to techies.

Sage said:
Unless the person were talking about GOD, & not a person named "God." Which is part of what makes it so funny.

I read a comedy bit in that great mysterious "somewhere online" about wanting to live downstairs from a fat guy, so that when accepting awards the comic could confuse everyone by thanking God and "the big man upstairs, too." I love it!

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ayn was ahead of her time. She didn't want to change her last name.

;-)

(Yes, I'm just teasing.)

SpiderGal

Princess of Nerds
Registered
Reaction score
I was taught British English at school, so obviously I never really used it during the school years. Infact, we were never even told about it! However, as I now read more and more of American literature, and interact with Americans on forums, the serial comma is gradually becoming a part of my style. Though, after reading the wiki entry on the serial comma, I think its inclusion, or omission for that matter, depends entirely on what you are trying to get that.

For e.g., let's look at this dedication:

For my mother, Ayn Rand, and God

If the writer is making this dedication to three different people, the serial comma only introduces ambiguity in this case. It appears as if Ayn Rand is the mother of the writer.

So, I would say, it really depends.

Status
Not open for further replies.