Status
Not open for further replies.

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
About 11-12 weeks ago I submitted my finished manuscript to an agency, in all the correct ways with everything but a sugar coating. It took a while, but when they finally got back to me, they said my work was, and to quote, ‘too modern’ so they had to decline from my offer. Now, what the hell is that supposed to mean? Modern is good, right? Contemporary work is what the market is about today, right? I’m no stranger to criticism and anything you could say to me that would improve my writing is taken in and digested, there is always room for improvement in my eyes. Having been rejected so many times that I’ve lost count, I’m not angry at being let down, just confused. Normally they don’t give a reason, why this time. When did modern become a bad thing?

kie

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm guessing here, but they might have meant that it had what is known in screenwriting as the "anti-plot" plot, or was intentional written to be different from most other published books (think Kafka, David Lynch movies, Waiting for Godot, etc.).

Or . . . they could have meant that they generally handle work that doesn't include contempory themes (drugs, gays, abused children, serial killers, politics, etc.).

Again, I'm just guessing.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Or it could be that the style of writing wasn't smooth enough. There have been some posts on SYW that come across as too modern. kborsden - I'm pretty sure you have something on SYW - tell us where it is and maybe we can give you a better idea of what they might have meant. Puma

Yami Dragon

Insanity is a Blessing
Registered
Reaction score
somewhere between the 6th & 7th levels of hell
Website
www.geocities.com
I'm going to throw in with Puma on this one. Could it be that your STYLE is modern? Mine's been described that way because I don't use "blah, blah" he said "blah blah" she replied all the time. I prefer to let my characters actions speak between their sentences.

I can see how this could be one of those things that sticks you and drives you insane because you can't make sense of it.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Not having read any excerpts, I really can't offer an opinion, but my guess would be in agreement that maybe there's something about your style, your word usage, or grammar that might be considered too avante garde or something, too experimental?

Last edited:

kborsden

Has a few recurring issues
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44594

This hould give an idea about not only what my work is about but also how it is written.
The agency I submitted to is one solely for 'new' Welsh writers. They have many published Welsh authors on their list, so I don't think it's anything to do with time-frame.

kie

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Looking back at your post, I think Caro caught one of the problems right off the bat - the lack of capitals and the dash at the beginning of the lines. Beyond that - why do you have the (!) in the second line below.

She looks at me like I’m stupid and we all know why.
-“breeding pigs (!)” she answers sarcastically.
-“what kind of pigs? Potbellies?” stupid, stupid.
She grins.
-“what’s your name?” she asks.
-“Adam, yours?” hey, we’re getting somewhere.
-“I’m Marie,” she answers.
-“and the pigs?” she’s got to laugh.
-“there are no pigs…why don’t you get me a drink?” she says.

I think you'd have a much better chance if you bit the bullet and converted this all to more conventional format. Puma

Ganesha

con·ver·sa·tion·al·ist
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
robynflatley.blogspot.com
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44594

This hould give an idea about not only what my work is about but also how it is written.
The agency I submitted to is one solely for 'new' Welsh writers. They have many published Welsh authors on their list, so I don't think it's anything to do with time-frame.

kie

I tried to see your writing but, alas I needed a password to gain entry.
I just have to say that in my tiny taste of your writing, I am often riveted. you have written many marvelous poems. I never understand a rejection, but I extend to you hope, you will make it-just a matter of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.