• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

What to bring back

AzBobby

Ought to be writing instead
Registered
Reaction score
Today, I hear, is the anniversary of Ghandi getting shot.

Alas, the Phoenix Zoo had no herd of Ghandis waiting to restore the supply. That would have been cool though.

What do you think of the occasional discussions of bringing back extinct species via cloning techniques? Wooly mammoths, Tasmanian tigers, and so on? There are technical problems to overcome, but there are also controversies about the natural order of things and whether the world is supposed to continue supporting any population that has died out. Thoughts?

As for creating clones of famous individuals, I doubt anyone seriously considers the question outside of the schlockiest scifi treatments (as amused as I was at Adolph Hitler's adult clone being born in the old Wonder Woman tv show like a balloon inflating into a uniform laid out and waiting for him on a table). Are there any possible exceptions or reasons the necessity could arise even in fiction? I can think of contrivances like a security code that requires the individual's retinal imprint... but any reason to defend science trying to clone a whole person and not just organs and whatnot?

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Well, first, a person is more than just genes, they are a product of their environment, education, experiences, etc. etc. etc. So if you did clone Einstein, there is no way his clone would be anything like him. Might just be an average joe who works as a greasemonkey at some garage.

Second, if a species was wiped out due to Mankind's stupidity and not because of it's own inability to adapt to changing environments, then I wonder if it wouldn't behoove us as a steward of this planet to try to clone extinct species. How about the dodo. I hear they were fun to have around.

Dododeyo dododeyo.

AzBobby

Registered
Reaction score
Sure, Einstein's clone might be nothing like him. That might not stop certain dreamers who want to take the chance. I'm thinking of the unfortunate souls who might have lost a child or other loved one. They might believe the person could start over and be the same person if young enough. I'm not saying it's true but I can understand how pain and desperation could lead people to try such things, even if they've read Pet Cematary. Then there's bizarre political and religious circumstances with which one's imagination could go wild. Like creating a clone of a revered Leader in Sleeper from his remaining tissue, consisting of only his nose. The details of personality didn't matter at all in defining the person and his purpose -- seems to me this might not be limited to comedy. Interestingly, some animal clones have varied even in superficial qualities of appearance -- fur color and so on. Weird.

Mankind earns plenty of blame for wiping out species. But there's some debate about whether the dodo was one of them. Apparently the dodo wasn't one of God's finest creations. And no one would want to eat one (stories survive of sailors eating dodo for emergency sustenance and finding it horrible and sickening) so it wasn't hunted to extinction as believed in the past. It was not a bird that could adapt to much change; it had no fear of predators. Humans might have sped its extinction by introducing cats, pigs and dogs to its environment, where too many of its eggs on its ground-based nests might have been eaten or destroyed. I read someplace that coincidentally, many of them were probably wiped out in flash floods around the same period. It sounds like it would be amazing luck for those things to survive anywhere, though. They weren't made for it. If they were re-introduced to the world, it would be in protected environments like zoos.

Last edited:

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cloning Einstein would only produce a sibling of Einstein. Most likely his slow brother Eduardo, who was never talked about in public.

If the planet deemed a species done (ie: T-Rex et al) then cloning would be a potentially foolish mistake. If human mistakes caused it (ie: the California Condor) then I'd say okey dokey. But IF and only IF all the bugs were worked out in the cloning process. It's very iffy science right now, and all products of cloning die very early, and suffer many afflictions.

That's not to say, naturally, that the future wouldn't change things. But again, as we talked about in the "repopulating the world"/"DNA challenges" thread, cloning too much will produce a very narrowed gene pool.

(the preceding was merely an opinion, of course)

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
If the planet deemed a species done (ie: T-Rex et al) then cloning would be a potentially foolish mistake.

Whoa, whoa, whoa! By the most commonly accepted account, it was not the planet, but rather a planetoid that deemed T-rex "done."

Just sayin'

AzBobby

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, it would seem the bodily design of the T-rex and how it evolved for its environment did not necessarily lend itself to extinction, unless you count the fact that the flukish disaster to blame favored killing off most of the larger sized animals. The dodo was doomed with or without an asteroid crash or the invasion of humans, theoretically. The problem with resurrecting ancients like the dinosaurs is that too much else about the environment -- their fellow animals, plants, sources of nutrition throughout their food chain, etc. -- has changed since their time, compared to that of animals alive during human history.

Whatever made them die out, it's such a tempting idea... who doesn't want to hear about live woolly mammoths herding about Canada again? Or Tasmanian tigers doing their bad thing again in their native wilderness from which they were taken so recently?

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, whoa, whoa! By the most commonly accepted account, it was not the planet, but rather a planetoid that deemed T-rex "done."

Just sayin'

Were you there? :D

(just jokin') Until scientists can stop changing their minds every ten years about things like asteroids, ice-ages, cholesterol levels and Pluto, the jury's still out.

Tallymark

Registered
Reaction score
I feel the need to speak up for the poor, much-maligned dodo. Though it was a fairly silly looking bird, and though they were indeed particularly vulnerable to human influence, what must be remembered is that it was perfectly adapted for the situation it evolved in. In fact, similar (but less famous) animals can be found on many of the worlds islands--there's flightless cormorants, for example. One may wonder why a bird would evolve to be so 'ungainly', and why it would want to lose the obvious advantages of flight, but in reality, the dodo was well-suited to its island life. Flight requires huge energy expenditures, so in a situation where wings aren't a requirement for survival, it is to the birds advantage to ditch them. The dodo was good at surviving-- at least until people arrived, but the same can be said of a lot of animals. A lot of other flightless species today are highly threatened for similar reasons; think of the kiwi, or the kakapo. In the absence of humans, though, they're pretty successful, and the reason they are still around today and not the dodo is probably not because they were in any way 'better evolved' than the dodo (well, except for being nocturnal--that can be pretty helpful against us diurnal humans). Its probably in part because of larger starting populations, and because people began conservation efforts to save them (alas, the dodo was wiped out before conservation).

Even flighted birds can find themselves in the same situation as the dodo. Hawaiian birds evolved in a setting entirely free of snakes, and now that the snake has been introduced, it is taking a heavy toll and endangering huge numbers of species--the birds have no natural mechanisms to deal with the threat. Sure, they can fly away, but the problem is that the snakes prey on the eggs, and nesting in trees doesn't stop them. So while flighted birds may have survived the introduction of ground-based predators that knocked out the dodo (pigs, rats, etc) by eating their eggs, they are vulnerable to introduced predators in the exact same way. You can't blame a species for not being adapted to face predators that don't exist in its home environment; unfortunately, this puts island species at a high risk. My point though is that the dodo wasn't some kind of 'evolutionary fluke' that would've died off soon anyway--at least, not any more than any other island animal (where there is always the inherent risks of a small isolated population).

As for cloning an extinct species--especially a recently extinct one--I see no problem with it. In fact, it would probably be good if we could bring back very recently extinct species, as these species have left gaps in their natural ecosystems--their niches still exist, they just aren't being filled (or they're being filled by invasive species). Heck, in some cases, scientists are coming to realize that the gaps left by megafauna that went extinct a thousand years ago are still present today--like in madagascar, there are plants that seem to have no natural mechanism to distribute their seeds, but in fact had probably used the extinct giant lemurs to distrubute them.

The problem with the idea of 'reviving' a species, though, is that just because you can clone an individual or two, doesn't mean you've brought back a species. You need a lot more than that to produce a viable genetic population, and unfortunately, in most cases I don't think there's enough DNA sources left to ever make that really happen. There's only a couple of thylacine sources left that are preserved correctly, for example. Cloning extinct species may help us to understand them, and may be great for zoos, but in a lot of cases there just might not be enough we can do to bring them back. Not to mention that without a parent to rear them, release into the wild wouldn't be easy.

That said, I hope we find a way to make it work anyway--maybe private collectors who've been hoarding their illegally-gotten trophies will come out of the woodwork, if they're promised to have no penalties. It would be really great if we could try to fix some of our own mistakes. Probably the best use of cloning though is to help us bolster species that are still around, but are on the verge of extinction.

PS. This is a very cool thread. ^_^ (you can tell I'm a bio major, can't you? XD ).

Last edited:

alaskamatt17

Registered
Reaction score
Were you there? :D

(just jokin') Until scientists can stop changing their minds every ten years about things like asteroids, ice-ages, cholesterol levels and Pluto, the jury's still out.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? Give T-rex the benefit of the doubt until that jury you mentioned comes back with a verdict.

On a more serious note, the Chicxulub impact crater on the Yucatan Peninsula of Mexico has been dated to the K-T boundary, and it happens to be pretty large. Even though dinosaur populations were on the decline for a few million years before the center of the range scientists have dated the crater to, it still seems plausible that the impact might have been a primary factor in dinosaur extinction.

MidnightMuse

Midnight Reading
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Huh? I thought there were still a few of those poking around?

The California Condor was on the BRINK of extinction - the only surviving members were in human captivity. Careful breeding and study brought them back.

This was a species nature wasn't targeting for extinction, but rather had fallen victim to man's influence. Therefore it was right to bring it back from the brink. Now their numbers are holding steady in the wild.

Pomegranate

Registered
Reaction score
JA Konrath has a free ebook with this theme on his website called "The List". Basically a number of historically good persons (jefferson, einstien, lincoln) and some very bad guys (attila, jack the ripper) are cloned. The babies are adopted out and don't know their "ancestry." Once grown, a couple of the clones figure things out and dig into why it was done with dramatic results. It was an amusing read. I especially loved that the Lincoln clone became a used car salesman.

MadScientistMatt

Empirical Storm Trooper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madscientistmatt.blogspot.com
I'd just written a short story - in fact, posted it in SYW - about a clone of Hitler who really didn't turn out as expected. Twins often turn out quite different (my father's identical twin acts and grooms so differently that my mother-in-law failed believed them to be fraternal twins), and I don't think a clone would even have the same fingerprints or retina pattern. The only real use I would see someone trying to have for human cloning would be trying to make a child look like a known quantity (a deceased sibbling, some celibrity, even oneself).

Some of the possibilities I've mentioned are a bit repugnant, but my main objection to human cloning is the number of cloned babies they'd inevitably make with severe defects before getting it right - if they got it right.

Roger McMillian

Registered
Reaction score
You may be able to clone a replica of a famous historical figure, but what about their soul or spirit? I realize that I'm throwing metaphysics or spiritualism into the mix, but that's what I write about.

AzBobby

Registered
Reaction score
You may be able to clone a replica of a famous historical figure, but what about their soul or spirit? I realize that I'm throwing metaphysics or spiritualism into the mix, but that's what I write about.

I assume any human clone based on biological realities has his/her own spirit or soul, however you define it. They'll have their own personalities, experience, growing environment, etc. unique to them, like any identical twin grown apart from the other twin. Nothing's replicated but some basic biological factors, and to top it off we have clones of higher animals that don't even match superficially (cloned cats with differently colored coats of fur and so on) the explanation for which is way over my head but seems to only stress the depth of what we call identity.

Then there's the fantasy version of clones, which is a whole other area of speculation. We have to pretend that maybe some technology other than the biological cloning we grasp from present science might someday make one of these scenarios possible before we have to wonder about the cloning of spirits.

My favorite example -- because it's so damn goofy -- was the clone of Hitler in an old episode of Wonder Woman, who was created in adult form and inflated like a balloon into his complete Nazi uniform laid out for him on a table! I seem to recall more than one clone machine in old episodes of Doctor Who -- grown adult copies of people, right down to a matching suit of clothes, popping out of a machine and facing the world with their British accents pre-loaded and ready to go. And let's not forget the transporter on Star Trek with its ability to re-assemble entire persons from memory even if those people have already walked off the platform (yeah, I know it was limited to certain malfunctions, but it was never straight why they couldn't do it all the time). The excuses for all these machines vary, but the idea is always that the newly assembled being comes ready-made with the heart and soul that was a product of the original's identity -- and therefore, of the same identity.

When you attempt to convert any of these scenarios to anything resembling scifi rather than sheer magical fantasy -- well, I don't know what to discuss in any seriousness to address the metaphysics. I can only ponder the theory of multiple universes -- and the way that the only "clone" you could make that would carry your whole identity in the observable sense would have to be a duplicate transferred from a parallel universe. I've seen this suggested already, a few times, as a means of hyperspace travel and/or time travel -- one slips from one point in the universe to the other, but it is really a trading of places with one's duplicate in a neighboring universe.

So with or without using the "clone" terminology how does our spirituality stand up to the notion that copy universes (and therefore copies of all individuals) exist whether we try to clone them or not? I mean, if you accept the existence of the soul that transcends what we can observe, is it a thing automatically shared by anything with a consciousness matching one's own, or does one prefer to believe in an infinity of souls pushing and shoving about the spirit world with destinies independent of any shared identities?

BTW I doubt that this challenge of faith and belief is what bothers most people who object to human cloning -- the simple question of whether a scientist in a clone lab should pretend to be the creator of a real soul. (Hell, mom and dad did the same thing through a different process.) If it could work instantly I'm not sure I could hold up an objective argument against it. That is, free of practical issues like population control, the ethics of flawlessly cloning humans is beyond me. But in the mean time there's way too much mad-scientist work to do in order to reach that point -- an impossibly unsolvable human rights problem, creating experimental babies and so on, a host of situations all sane people should know to be sheer evil in the interim -- before we ever have to get around to that objective argument focusing on souls alone.