PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia...?

TsukiRyoko
01-30-2007, 01:13 PM
For the first time in half a decade, I fell asleep before midnight. "Yay, she's going to get a good night's sleep and finally wake up a little less insane!" Right? WRONG! I woke back up again around 1 am (though I do feel very well rested, thankyouverymuch). While it would be OUTSTANDING to get a full night's worth fo sleep, it'd also be kind of...boring.

Anyone else have insomnia? Anything help? I've tried many differet sorts of herbs (lavender, chamomile, valerian, damiana root, etc etc) and I've tried a few prescriptions, but nothing really seems to work. My insomnia isn't affecting my health (well, maybe my mental health. Five years ago I didn't have brightly colored hair and think someone getting hit by a bus was funny as hell), but everyone insists that a full night's sleep is necessary.

Stew21
01-30-2007, 01:17 PM
my insomnia has always been the kind where I go to sleep and wake up at some ridiculously tedious AM hour. Like now for instance. I don't have to be to work for 5 more hours. This is like the day before the day begins.
I'm the wrong person to ask about what helps. I don't know. But I'm here too.

Hi Tsuk!

TsukiRyoko
01-30-2007, 01:21 PM
my insomnia has always been the kind where I go to sleep and wake up at some ridiculously tedious AM hour. Like now for instance. I don't have to be to work for 5 more hours. This is like the day before the day begins.
I'm the wrong person to ask about what helps. I don't know. But I'm here too.

Hi Tsuk!
Trish si here- I'm not all alone! :D

Mine usually keeps me up until 4 or 5 am (usually much later...er, earlier? I don't know) then I sleep for a few hours and wake up around 9 or 10. Sometimes I fall back to sleep and get more than 8 hours of sleep, but it's NEVER in one sitting. I haven't been able to sleep straight through the night for a long time :(.

I wonder if anyone else is up? Hello! Is anybody out there?

Bmwhtly
01-30-2007, 01:22 PM
I used to get it occasionally. The only thing I could ever do was stay awake from, say waking up on Monday. Stay awake monday, monday night, into tuesday. and don't go to bed until Tuesday night.
It used to work for me.

TsukiRyoko
01-30-2007, 01:25 PM
I used to get it occasionally. The only thing I could ever do was stay awake from, say waking up on Monday. Stay awake monday, monday night, into tuesday. and don't go to bed until Tuesday night.
It used to work for me.
This usually happens to me once a week. The longest I've stayed up is about 4 days, and I ended up passing out in the water fountain at the library :D.

Staying up for days at a time gives me a LOT of energy. I clean the house, watch movies, run a mile or a thousand....

Bmwhtly
01-30-2007, 01:33 PM
Staying up for days at a time gives me a LOT of energy. I clean the house, watch movies, run a mile or a thousand....Me too!
But afterwards, I get a good nights sleep.

TsukiRyoko
01-30-2007, 01:36 PM
Me too!
But afterwards, I get a good nights sleep.
:cry: That's so lucky. I pass out for about 2-3 hours before waking up again.

What did I do to desevre this, God-.....erm, never mind, God. I have a rough idea.... Never mind.. :D

Bmwhtly
01-30-2007, 01:40 PM
I pass out for about 2-3 hours before waking up again.Maybe lay off the speed for a while?

Stew21
01-30-2007, 01:42 PM
hello, Ben-awake-for-hours! :)

TsukiRyoko
01-30-2007, 01:43 PM
Maybe lay off the speed for a while? I can't do that! I got places to go, people to see, stuff to do, come on come on come on come on let's go go go go go! Why are you walking? You could be running! You could be FLYING! I'm leaving you behind! Chair? No chair, I don't need a chair, I'll kick your ass, but I don't have the time, I'm busy busy busy!

Bmwhtly
01-30-2007, 01:55 PM
hello, Ben-awake-for-hours! :)Morning Trishatwister.

paprikapink
01-30-2007, 03:09 PM
I'll bet if I told myself I had to wake up at 2am and write every night, I couldn't do it.

Stew21
01-30-2007, 03:13 PM
me neither, PPink, I've tried.

Gabriel
01-30-2007, 03:14 PM
I detest sleeping. I seem to have bouts of insomnia and manic behavior, the energy I get from not sleeping is intense. When it ends though I sleep like a dog. Sleeping sucks.

TsukiRyoko
01-30-2007, 03:16 PM
I'll bet if I told myself I had to wake up at 2am and write every night, I couldn't do it.
Hey, that's an idea.... I always sleep through the alarm clock, so maybe if I set it for 2 am and let it go, I'd sleep better? Hmmm.....

wm_bookworm
01-30-2007, 06:32 PM
I sometimes get minor bouts of insomnia. There have been mornings when I find it is 5 a.m. and I wonder where all the time has gone. What is worse, I'll still not even be tired, but around that time I usually force myself to go lay down and attempt to sleep.

For whatever reason, now that I work an evening shift, my body has been letting me sleep close to eight hours on a regular basis. I used to average around six, so these extra two hours are cramping my personal time! I demand a refund!

Perhaps I should stop being so lazy and set an alarm so I only get the minimum required rest in order to function.

But anyways, yes, I've suffered bouts of insomnia from time to time. But not as bad as you seem to have it. O.o

Kevin Yarbrough
01-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Don't feel bad people, I'm right there with you. On average I get about 4 hours, the other day I worked all night and got 2 hours of sleep and stayed up and worked that night again before coming home and getting about 4 hours.

Insomnia is a tedious bitch that plays tricks with your body and mind before robbing you blind. Much like a woman I knew back in the day. But she looked so cold standing on that street corner, I thought I was helping her.

TsukiRyoko
01-30-2007, 09:54 PM
Don't feel bad people, I'm right there with you. On average I get about 4 hours, the other day I worked all night and got 2 hours of sleep and stayed up and worked that night again before coming home and getting about 4 hours.

Insomnia is a tedious bitch that plays tricks with your body and mind before robbing you blind. Much like a woman I knew back in the day. But she looked so cold standing on that street corner, I thought I was helping her.
:roll: :ROFL: :roll:

Shadow_Ferret
01-30-2007, 09:56 PM
My 11-year-old has been getting insomnia since this new school year started. Drives me crazy because he gets all wound up, starts crying and getting upset that he can't fall asleep and I'm trying to tell him to just relax and don't worry about it. Sleep will come. But the more he gets upset the more I can't keep my cool because now he's keeping me up.

I can't relate. I've never had a sleeping problem. I put my head on the pillow and I'm out. Getting up has always been my problem.

TsukiRyoko
01-30-2007, 09:58 PM
My 11-year-old has been getting insomnia since this new school year started. Drives me crazy because he gets all wound up, starts crying and getting upset that he can't fall asleep and I'm trying to tell him to just relax and don't worry about it. Sleep will come. But the more he gets upset the more I can't keep my cool because now he's keeping me up.

I can't relate. I've never had a sleeping problem. I put my head on the pillow and I'm out. Getting up has always been my problem.
Try getting him some chamomile tea. Helps wonders (it used to help me. Now I'm pretty much screwedbecause nothing works -_-.... )
I used to have the ability to sleep for 10 hours easy, and I woke up easily. Now, the little sleep I DO get couldn't be disturbed by even the loudest explosion or hottest fire.

Stew21
01-30-2007, 09:59 PM
Ferret, see if you can find out what is stressing or worrying your son at school this year. It had to have started somewhere. My insomnia is ofter related to stress and worry. And then worrying about getting sleep/needing sleeping/wanting sleep always makes it worse...so you are right about that. But it had to start somewhere. Something at school is worrying or stressing him, probably. See if you can find out what it is.

Shadow_Ferret
01-30-2007, 10:01 PM
lol

He's worried he won't fall asleep and that then he'll be so tired he'll fall asleep in class.

WerenCole
01-31-2007, 12:05 AM
Don't read where you sleep. . . get drunk before 7pm. . . nyquil. . . ummm. . . bed olympics (hint hint nudge nudge). . . .

Yeah, I just don't sleep. . . except during daylight hours when I should be doing something else entirely.

jennifer75
01-31-2007, 12:07 AM
Don't use your bed for anything except sleeping. Don't watch tv in bed, don't sit in bed reading, nothing. I've heard that this can affect your sleeping. Your bed should be recognized for sleep, nothing else.

:)

Of course a little rumbly tumbly in the sack wont hurt either.

SpookyWriter
01-31-2007, 12:10 AM
Don't use your bed for anything except sleeping. Don't watch tv in bed, don't sit in bed reading, nothing. I've heard that this can affect your sleeping. Your bed should be recognized for sleep, nothing else.

Of course a little rumbly tumbly in the sack wont hurt either.Sounds like something my ex-wife recited nightly.

jennifer75
01-31-2007, 12:13 AM
Sounds like something my ex-wife recited nightly.

Which part? The only for sleeping part, or the rumbly tumbly part? lol.

SpookyWriter
01-31-2007, 12:14 AM
Which part? The only for sleeping part, or the rumbly tumbly part? lol.I'm sure we'd still be together today if we had more sleep. :D

jennifer75
01-31-2007, 12:15 AM
LOL.

AndreaGS
01-31-2007, 12:19 AM
I'd heard from the doctor that it was ok to also use the bed for "bed olympics" as WerenCole so gracefully stated ;).

Another thing that helps is to work out during the day (but not right before bedtime!). Tire yourself out a little.

I used to have a lot of sleep problems - getting to sleep and staying asleep. I found what helped me is to actually bore myself to sleep. I'd just clear my head and start visualizing a self-guided tour of my home in which I tried to go over every nook and cranny. I never finished. Put me out every time.

WildScribe
01-31-2007, 12:26 AM
I get insomnia occasionally. I usually lie in bed awake for the entire night, and feel crabby and crappy the next day. This is usually two or three nights in a row, although my record was a dozen. I thought I was going to die.

lfraser
01-31-2007, 01:50 AM
Insomnia has been a life-long curse for me. I've tried everything -- herbs, relaxation therapy, exercise. I even spent several months going to a sleep clinic. Nothing really worked. I think some of us are just hard-wired to have trouble sleeping (and it does run in my family).

A few things that help somewhat:

Going to bed and getting up at the same time every day

No naps. Ever.

Getting up and reading if I haven't fallen asleep in half an hour or so

Turning the clock to face the wall so I'm not checking it all the time

Learning to just accept it and not fighting it all the time. Instead of cursing and moaning about it, and thrashing around in bed, I either get up and read or lie quietly and try to write a story in my head. Worrying about insomnia probably perpetuates it more than anything else.

But if all else fails, there are various drugs that can be used for short periods of time, just to get you past the worry and exhaustion.

I won't use Valerian because it gives me a really bad hangover.

Chumplet
01-31-2007, 02:45 AM
I don't have insomnia, but I can't sleep through the night because I get so stiff and sore I have to wake up to turn over about every hour. We've tried three mattresses and none of them work. Also, since I'm told that I snore, I worry that I'll start to snore when I drop to sleep and when I hear a little snort, I wake myself up right away to change position. I'm just way too nice. I must kick out the children so we can have separate bedrooms.

The sofa in the rec room is so comfortable I can sleep well there, but not in the winter because it's freeeekin cold. Even for me with my hot flashes.

Oh, yeah, I forgot... hot flashes wake me up, too.

TsukiRyoko
01-31-2007, 07:29 AM
Don't read where you sleep. . . get drunk before 7pm. . . nyquil. . . ummm. . . bed olympics (hint hint nudge nudge). . . .

Yeah, I just don't sleep. . . except during daylight hours when I should be doing something else entirely.
Actually, bed Olympics just get me revved up and I'm up for another day. :D At least the dishes get cleaned, though.

I can't drink anymore :( My acid reflux is killer as it is. My freshman year I drank so much that I can't remember most of the year. I DO, however, remember waking up stuck in the ceiling vents at a local show. That was fun :D

TsukiRyoko
01-31-2007, 07:32 AM

Of course a little rumbly tumbly in the sack wont hurt either.
If you saw my bed, you'd see how impossible that is. I have books beside me, under the mattress, under the blankets, under the pillow- everywhere. I have 3 bookshsleves at my Dad's and three at my Mom's, and despite their being jam packed, I still have books EVERYWHERE. Besides, I do most of my sleeping on the couch, floor, or kitchen table (I just kind of sleep wherever I fall).

I need music or something to fall asleep by. I tried sleeping in silence. Not only was I not sleepy, but I thought that riding on a back of the semi-truck was a grand idea, that jogging for 3 days straight would be awesome, and I might plans to go jumping off the bridge while reading to see how much I could read in a desperate situation. Silence= inevitable death for Tsuki.

maestrowork
01-31-2007, 07:35 AM
Your body needs sleep.

Ask your doctor. There are herbal supplements as well as prescription sleep aids available. But your body needs sleep -- you may not feel the effect now, since you're young, but you will as you get older -- and you will notice, you do get OLDER, quickly, if you continue to ignore your sleep habit.

paprikapink
01-31-2007, 04:28 PM
I'm awake! I did get some writing done last night. Then at about this time my battery ran out so I stopped and tried sleeping again. I got an hour or so. Felt fine all day, but by 8pm I was bushed! Asleep before 9...awake before 4.

The life-long insomnia or the stress-based insomnia or the bad-habits insomnia are one thing. But it's so common for middle-aged women (men too?) to start waking up at wierd hours...seems like there must be some long-lost biological reason for it. Or maybe it's not even long-lost. Maybe it's well-known and documented and I just never googled it.

(Without doubt those are the most hyphens I ever put in any one paragraph. See! There's a good reason -- I couldn't do that by the light of day!)

TsukiRyoko
01-31-2007, 04:57 PM
I'm awake! I did get some writing done last night. Then at about this time my battery ran out so I stopped and tried sleeping again. I got an hour or so. Felt fine all day, but by 8pm I was bushed! Asleep before 9...awake before 4.

The life-long insomnia or the stress-based insomnia or the bad-habits insomnia are one thing. But it's so common for middle-aged women (men too?) to start waking up at wierd hours...seems like there must be some long-lost biological reason for it. Or maybe it's not even long-lost. Maybe it's well-known and documented and I just never googled it.

(Without doubt those are the most hyphens I ever put in any one paragraph. See! There's a good reason -- I couldn't do that by the light of day!) I was up all night and still haven't slept. I can feel the crash a-coming soon, though. Maybe I'll sleep well tonight?

At least you got some writing done. I couldn't concentrate. For some reason I was REALLY pissed off last night (there wasn't any reason at all. I just got angry- it was weird) and ended up working out most of the night. Now, I feel a little buff and very, very sore.

Little Red Barn
01-31-2007, 05:31 PM
I was up all night and still haven't slept. I can feel the crash a-coming soon, though. Maybe I'll sleep well tonight?

At least you got some writing done. I couldn't concentrate. For some reason I was REALLY pissed off last night (there wasn't any reason at all. I just got angry- it was weird) and ended up working out most of the night. Now, I feel a little buff and very, very sore.
Aww suki, sleep well tonite sweetie.
hugs

paprikapink
01-31-2007, 06:10 PM
And yet, somehow, now that I'm really up and the lights are on, I realize that somehow (I know I already said that), somehow I managed to sleep through a battle between my cat and a bird that spanned three rooms. Dead body in the foyer (bird's body -- cat won), feathers in the bathroom, feathers in the family room. Good Morning!!

My cat is immensly fat and wears a bell (and is sleeping very peacefully right now; snoring even). What kind of a bird is out and about in the middle of the night?

Shadow_Ferret
01-31-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't have insomnia, but I can't sleep through the night because I get so stiff and sore I have to wake up to turn over about every hour.

I have that problem,too. My legs get stiff. But I know the cause. It's my 60 pound dalmatian sleeping between and on my legs. :)

paprikapink
01-31-2007, 06:14 PM
Tsuki -- that's smart to work-out when you feel free-floating anger. Smart also to be able to tell when it's got an internal source and not just blame it on whatever happens to be going on around you (my specialty for many years). Pulling weeds is good for that too. Good for anger management, I mean. But maybe not in the middle of the night.

Kevin Yarbrough
01-31-2007, 09:59 PM
I'm sure we'd still be together today if we had more sleep. :D

I'm sure the reason me and my new girl are together still is because we don't get any sleep. God, not sleeping, a grand total of five kids, and so much bed olympics that it would kill a moose I'm surprised I'm still alive.