ColoradoGuy

I've seen worse.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisjohnsonmd.com
After a prodding from Medievalist and with a nodding toward our own Sokal (whose choice in screen names clearly shows amusement at the whole affair), here is a link to the infamous Sokal Affair, in which a physicist hoodwinked a post-modish journal into publishing a completely silly send-up of Theory. The journal, at least at first, was not in on the joke. They were not amused.

pdr

Banned
Reaction score
Ah! Now I know.

And I'm still laughing. Heavy day's work so can't study and analyse the article but cheers for another who sees the Emperor's New Clothes!!!!

Thank you so much for so much hilarity. I wish I could translate it for my Japanese students who are serious medical researchers!

Would love to discuss it, at my basic level please, later.

Deleted member 42

I take enormous pleasure, not to mention schadenfreude at some of the faculty cited in that piece. Do look at Sokal's followups as well.

Higgins

Banned
Reaction score
Something more in Japanese

And I'm still laughing. Heavy day's work so can't study and analyse the article but cheers for another who sees the Emperor's New Clothes!!!!

Thank you so much for so much hilarity. I wish I could translate it for my Japanese students who are serious medical researchers!

Would love to discuss it, at my basic level please, later.

Here's a link with Japanese sections:

http://www.math.tohoku.ac.jp/~kuroki/Sokal/