Advice for aspiring writers/wannabes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixie

Registered
Reaction score
OK so I openly admit this is a spinoff from the "Difference Between Wannabes and Writers" thread. If you could give any advice to those aspiring writers that want to move from wannabe to gonnabe to published, what advice would that be??

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
Listen to advice. Especially advice you don't like.

No really, you think you're listening, but you're not. Really really listen.

Because if you're "gonnabe" published, you'll have to listen to the same kind of stuff from your agent and your editor.

Maprilynne

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I think I went from Wannabe status to Gonnabe status when I finally decided to treat my writing like a business. If I'm doing it to make money, and not just to have fun, I find I take it much more seriously than I used to.

So my advice would be: treat your writing like a job, by which you intend to get paid. It helps immensely in becoming more serious about your writing.

:)

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
YAY! I went from wannabe to gonnabe cause I finished my novel! WOOHOO!

Adagio

Registered
Reaction score
Buy a couple of good reference books on writing, join AW community, write, learn the craft, read, read again the masters, write, write.

K1P1

Procrastination is its own reward
Registered
Reaction score
Stay focused on what you want to accomplish, which means doing all the things the others suggested:
Treat it like a business
Write even if you don't feel like it
Study your market
Be disciplined
Take advice
Remember that your writing can ALWAYS be improved

Last edited:

cinders23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreamersperch.blogspot.com
Being Published is not success

It just moves a person from the wanna-be published status to the wanna sell a lot of of books status.

Anyway...it seems to me there is always something to wanna be in writing.

Now the wanna-bes who never finish their books are what I call dabblers. They like to write, but it's not a priority. They only write in the spare time or when the mood strikes, because they're content in their lives. I don't think any less of them for this.

Cindy.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Now the wanna-bes who never finish their books are what I call dabblers. They like to write, but it's not a priority. They only write in the spare time or when the mood strikes, because they're content in their lives. I don't think any less of them for this.

Cindy.

I don't think less of them, either, until they start complaining that they can't get published, claim they are trying hard, make silly accusations against the publishing industry, etc.

I don't think being content in their lives has anything to do with it. Most of them sound considerably more discontented to me than do professional writers. You certainly do not have to be discontented to work hard, or to succeed. You just have to want to do it, and have a solid work ethic. I think it's far more a matter of personality, rather than contentment.

cinders23

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dreamersperch.blogspot.com
I don't think less of them, either, until they start complaining that they can't get published, claim they are trying hard, make silly accusations against the publishing industry, etc.

I was referring more to people who have big ideas for their novels/stories, but never finish them. These people don't put a priority on their writing because they have found success some where else.

Now it seems to me that you're talking about people who have at least finished something and expect it to be easy after that. Well, I agree there is always more to do even after the novel is finished. (I would think any person who complains too much can become annoying.)

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
Learn about the publishing industry before you start trying to enter it--and not from the Internet, where there's much good information but also a lot of bad information, and some prior knowledge is required to sort out which is which. Go the print route first. Go to the library or bookstore and find one or two general books on the publishing process. Read them cover to cover.

Do your research FIRST. Then, and only then, start submitting.

This ought to be a no-brainer, but I am constantly amazed at the number of writers who plunge into submitting without understanding even the most basic things about publishing (such as the fact that it's NOT routine to pay an agent or publisher upfront). I can't think of a single field in which one does better from a starting point of total or semi-ignorance. Establishing a writing career is no exception.

Believe me, the scammers are hoping you will disregard this advice.

- Victoria

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
Have the maturity to accept criticism, the strength to ignore naysayers, and the wisdom to know the difference between them.

To quote Pat Brady: "Just do it. If you don't try, you'll never know."

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
Learn the tools of writing. Your crit partner/beta/agent/editor shouldn't have to fix all your crappy grammar and punctuation just because you can't be bothered learning how to punctuate(or spell).

underthecity

Finestkind
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.allensedge.com
Don't just say "I don't have the time to write." MAKE the time to write, even if it's for just a half-hour. IOW, get off the internet once in a while.

Read everything you can. Examine how the pros do it. No time to read? Don't you sit on the toilet at least once every day? How about audio books in the car?

Don't be disappointed with your first effort and give up on it. That first effort might not seem so great when you're writing it, but with work, it'll be better.

allen

ATP

What happened to my LIFE?!
Registered
Reaction score
Spend at least as much time writing as you do on writer forums.

A very good point. Talking as a full-time non-fiction writer, I would suggest adjusting the equation slightly. Thus, if one assumes an hour a day in total on writing boards or AW (and an hour might be considered generous), then allowing for holidays, we can then assume 348 days or 348 hours per year on 'the boards'. As you suggest, this would then be about 348 hours per year on writing proper - a ratio of 1:1. This is way too high a commitment of time which is a limited, 'chargeable' / billable commodity.

Better yet is time spent on boards being kept to around 33% of total time spent on writing proper; my preference is 25%. Between 40%-50% borders the realm of distraction and replacing the object of your endeavor with writing on boards. But, this has to be measured against the need for communication and 'contact'. Each person is different, and it is a tricky thing to balance.

J.S Greer

Feel the power!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Beware the "golden" word.
Nobody is out to steal your work
Don't argue with critiques
Don't argue with reviews
Enjoy the process of writing.
You don't need an agent to sell your work--it only helps.
Do not pester agents and editors. If your work is good enough, they'll pester you.

Well said.

Status
Not open for further replies.