PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade Glitch thread

ChunkyC
01-28-2007, 10:08 PM
Hi folks!

Here's where you should report any glitches you find.

Once you'll notice right away when making a new post is that the images for strikethrough superscript subscript are missing. I'll get on that asap.

So, poke around and let us know what you find. :)

Sean D. Schaffer
01-28-2007, 10:25 PM
Hi CC.

The avatars that belong to the site don't seem to be working. I went over to edit my avatar because it appeared as a white box with a red X in it, and it looks as though all the generic avatars that come with the site are the same way.

However, custom avatars seem to be working just fine. I might go ahead and upload one later today.

Sincerely,

Ian D. Mecantie

Jean Marie
01-28-2007, 10:26 PM
I'm not finding a thing, Chunky. Very smooth. And fast.

Sean D. Schaffer
01-28-2007, 10:32 PM
Hi again,

Another glitch I've noticed, just now, happened as I gave a poster a rep point. After I entered the rep point, I tried scrolling back up to the top of the page, and the scrolling was very slow. It went up in little increments and then would stop for an equal amount of time.

Of course, glitches like this, I guess, are normal for new systems, so I'm not too worried about it. I wish you the best in figuring out how to make the system even better.

Thanks for posting this thread, CC.

Medievalist
01-28-2007, 11:06 PM
Chunky you need to check the paths for images. Notice the avatars that come with vBulletin use the wrong path; also some of the new features visible in the Reply dialog for posts are missing graphics.

K1P1
01-28-2007, 11:12 PM
Every time I go to this thread: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53430

I get a "Security Error: Domain Name Mismatch" that I'm trying to connect to "earthymommies.com" and that the certificate doesn't match because the certificate name is "www.earthymommies.com."

I don't know if this is related to the upgrade, but it didn't happen earlier today in the same thread.

And why would it be trying to connect me to another site anyway?

Medievalist
01-28-2007, 11:14 PM
That's a sig issue K1P1; we can fix it thanks for mentioning it.

ChunkyC
01-28-2007, 11:14 PM
I have to go out for a bit, but keep posting the stuff you find. I'll check back later.

K1P1
01-28-2007, 11:20 PM
That's a sig issue K1P1; we can fix it thanks for mentioning it.

It happens in Firefox 2, but when I tried it in IE 7 I didn't get the warning. But, I don't use IE so I haven't customized the settings and it may be set not to warn me.

Del
01-28-2007, 11:30 PM
The text box for the rep points does not scroll. It eventually JUMPS but there doesn't seem to be a predictable response.

ETA: It wont scroll back and forth after text is entered.

TheIT
01-28-2007, 11:33 PM
Not sure if this would be considered a problem, but the New Posts screen now shows three announcements at the top. Before, it never showed announcements separately. Side effect of the upgrade?

Medievalist
01-28-2007, 11:34 PM
Not sure if this would be considered a problem, but the New Posts screen now shows three announcements at the top. Before, it never showed announcements separately. Side effect of the upgrade?

That there's a feature :D

TheIT
01-28-2007, 11:40 PM
That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature? :D

It seems to be showing unread Announcement threads separately from the rest of threads with new posts. When I read one of the announcements and clicked New Posts, it only showed two announcements rather than three. The thread I read no longer showed.

TheIT
01-28-2007, 11:43 PM
What's "multi-quote"? New button on the bottom right corner of posts.

Also, there seems to be a new feature when quoting someone else's post. For example, in Medievalist's reply to me there's a ">" box next to my name which takes you back to the original post. Neat!

Dawno
01-28-2007, 11:48 PM
What's "multi-quote"? New button on the bottom right corner of posts.

Also, there seems to be a new feature when quoting someone else's post. For example, in Medievalist's reply to me there's a ">" box next to my name which takes you back to the original post. Neat!

That's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature? :D

It seems to be showing unread Announcement threads separately from the rest of threads with new posts. When I read one of the announcements and clicked New Posts, it only showed two announcements rather than three. The thread I read no longer showed.

That there's a feature :D

Multi quote in action. Click all the posts you want to quote using that new icon and they all appear in your response box.

Medievalist
01-28-2007, 11:50 PM
Multiquote lets you quote multiple posts in a Reply.

You can click the little Multiquote icon next to the Quote button in a post, and that post is "flagged." Click another one to flag it; when you finally click QUote, all the flagged posts will be quoted in your Reply.

You will, of course, judiciously edit the quotes so you only quote what you're actually replying to.

Dawno
01-28-2007, 11:52 PM
yeah, like I said ;)

ChunkyC
01-29-2007, 01:22 AM
I'm back.

Item: someone (ah, medievalist) mentioned avatars, I'll have a look now. I think I just need to copy over any avatars that were added by us to the standard set that comes with vBulletin. I copied over the custom avs users added themselves already.

ETA - done.

Item: superscript/sub/strike buttons in post editing windows now ok.

NicoleJLeBoeuf
01-29-2007, 02:49 AM
Item: superscript/sub/strike buttons in post editing windows now ok.I didn't even know we had strike, superscript, and subscript in this bulletin board system. I couldn't find 'em when I wanted 'em. Glad to hear they do indeed exist!

(Also, for those who want to create the little "go to orig. post" arrow by hand, apparently the syntax is...

]QUOTE=MEMBER;POSTNUMBER[

For instance, the quote block at the top of this post is created with this tag:

]QUOTE=ChunkyC;1085267[

In real life, of course, you'd reverse those square brackets so the openbrack and closebrack go in the right places. Of course, with the new multiquote button, the need to handcraft quote blocks is reduced. Yay!)

Sean D. Schaffer
01-29-2007, 03:22 AM
The avatars seem to be working now, CC. Just thought I'd let you know.

:)

alleycat
01-29-2007, 03:45 AM
I can't change my avatar. I tried two or three of the avatars I've used before. I get an error message each time that the image could not be saved.

Chumplet
01-29-2007, 06:26 AM
The 'remember me' box was pre-checked when I first joined, but now it isn't any more. I have to check it manually every time I sign in.

Medievalist
01-29-2007, 06:33 AM
Chumplet that's a cookie issue in your local browser. Can you find the AW cookie, delete it, quit the browser, relaunch and log in again?

skelly
01-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I don't know if it's a glitch or not, but I have to keep logging in every five minutes or so. I was typing a post in another thread and it logged me out in the meantime. Logged back in, made my posrt, then got logged out again while surfing around the board.

MacAllister
01-29-2007, 05:22 PM
Skelly, that's a cookie issue in your browser. Try logging out, dumping your cache and clearing cookies, then logging back in.

robeiae
01-29-2007, 05:57 PM
I haven't had to clear my cookies since college.

Bmwhtly
01-29-2007, 08:40 PM
Is it just me or is there no longer a pop-up telling me I have a new Private Message?
You'd think since we get pop-ups with a cheery message when giving rep-points they'd have kept the ones for PM's. Or am I missing something?

alleycat
01-29-2007, 09:33 PM
I just got a security warning pop-up for the site. It said the name on the security certificate was invalid.

robeiae
01-29-2007, 10:09 PM
I just got a security warning pop-up for the site. It said the name on the security certificate was invalid.I got one of those, too. But it only happened once and I didn't okay the certificate. Strange.

CaoPaux
01-30-2007, 12:27 AM
Every time I go to this thread: http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53430

I get a "Security Error: Domain Name Mismatch" that I'm trying to connect to "earthymommies.com" and that the certificate doesn't match because the certificate name is "www.earthymommies.com."

I don't know if this is related to the upgrade, but it didn't happen earlier today in the same thread.

And why would it be trying to connect me to another site anyway?
That's a sig issue K1P1; we can fix it thanks for mentioning it.FYI, it's KCathy's sig.

Tish Davidson
01-30-2007, 09:07 AM
This is a small thing, but it used to be that when I clicked on Forum Tools and the mark this Forum read it automatically took me back to the main menu of of all the forums. Now it marks all threads read but you have to click back to the main menu each time you mark threads read- minor but annoying.

poetinahat
01-30-2007, 10:10 AM
Apparently, we can report our own posts.

Maybe we can save ourselves some trouble and just let the spammers ban themselves?

ChunkyC
01-30-2007, 08:55 PM
Okay, I have the "remember me" checkbox thing fixed. It wasn't actually broken, just that the default is for it not to be checked. Ages ago I tweaked that so the box was checked automatically when you arrive at the home page to log in, but the upgrade put it back to the default.

So, I tweaked it again. :)

I'm at the day job, as always, but I'll keep chipping away at stuff. It appears most of these glitches are these sorts of things, default settings in the new version that are different from how we had it set before.

K1P1
01-31-2007, 02:27 AM
So, I guess we're still not able to upload new avatars? What a bummer. :(

ChunkyC
01-31-2007, 02:48 AM
Ah, the avatar upload thing ... I think Fahim's going to look into that one. I can't find anything in the standard settings that would prevent it, so it looks like a real glitch and not just a setting.

It'll get sorted out.

Medievalist
01-31-2007, 03:12 AM
Chunky . . . have you tried? Try your own and then try mine.

K1P1
01-31-2007, 06:38 AM
Ah, the avatar upload thing ... I think Fahim's going to look into that one. I can't find anything in the standard settings that would prevent it, so it looks like a real glitch and not just a setting.

It'll get sorted out.

The same thing happened when we moved to the new server, so maybe he'll remember what the problem was then. I think it had something to do with permissions.

It's just - I don't really want to be a spinning wheel forever. It's so...limiting.

FloVoyager
01-31-2007, 07:07 PM
The other day, I got a pop-up security warning message while surfing AW (while logged in). I was here:

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53602

I started reading this post, and it popped up after about 10 seconds.

The text reads in part: "The name on the security certificate is invalid or does not match the name of the site. Do you want to proceed?" I clicked on View Certificate, and I think I saw that "earthymommies" thing, because that looks familiar, but I'm not certain.

Anyway, I clicked on "Yes," and gosh I hope that wasn't a mistake. "Earthymommies" could be all sorts of things.

brer
02-01-2007, 02:50 PM
False Call. Sorry. I just did a reboot. Everything fine now.

Freakin' Japanese tennis website, I'm guessing ... It wanted to load Japanese characters down, and I said no to that. And it still messed me up.

Sorry again. It was me. As usual.

alleycat
02-01-2007, 02:52 PM
I haven't had any problem with the text tools.

TrainofThought
02-06-2007, 07:11 AM
I was able to change my avatar, but not my profile picture. Just thought I would let you know.

limitedtimeauthor
02-06-2007, 07:22 AM
I've noticed that the subscribed threads in my user CP are still bolded even after I have viewed the thread. I know it will do that if I use the browser's back button to get back to the User CP; but this is happening even if I refresh or click on User CP.

And also the scrolling in the Rep text box, as someone else mentioned. I'm one of those people who edits everything - including rep comments. :D

Since this is the glitch thread and not the bitch thread, I will ALSO add that I love the upgrades! And thank you very much for everyone who puts in their time to fix the glitches!! We appreciate you!!! :)

ltd.

Sage
02-06-2007, 07:56 AM
Really picky thing, really. Because the quick reply doesn't require you to click on the reply button anymore, any time you post in it without clicking the quick reply button, it seems to reply to the first post (as seen from the thread or hybrid display mode). If you were specifically responding to the last post & didn't think to click on the button, it appears to respond to the first one, which can be confusing.

Doug B
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
I just went to the share your work pages and there was no password required. I think I had to enter it every time I went there under the old system.

Doug

Medievalist
02-06-2007, 09:05 PM
I just went to the share your work pages and there was no password required. I think I had to enter it every time I went there under the old system.

Doug

The fact that you knew the password is stored in a cookie Doug; when the cookie expires, you'll be asked for the password again.

Yeshanu
02-20-2008, 06:27 PM
I just noticed something really odd. I can't rep poet for this post:

Apparently, we can report our own posts.

Maybe we can save ourselves some trouble and just let the spammers ban themselves?

Nor can I rep brer for this one:

False Call. Sorry. I just did a reboot. Everything fine now.

Freakin' Japanese tennis website, I'm guessing ... It wanted to load Japanese characters down, and I said no to that. And it still messed me up.

Sorry again. It was me. As usual.

Does it have anything to do with the fact that they both have "self-banned" as their user title?

Odd.

willywilly99
05-28-2008, 02:04 AM
ou can click the little Multiquote icon next to the Quote button in a post, and that post is "flagged." Click another one to flag it;

GeorgieB
01-27-2009, 10:29 PM
The number of posts seems to be stuck--mine at 258 even though I've posted a couple of times. Anyone notice that, or am I dreaming?

Whoops! It just bumped. I must be dreaming. Ignore, please.

Medievalist
01-28-2009, 02:10 AM
The number of posts seems to be stuck--mine at 258 even though I've posted a couple of times. Anyone notice that, or am I dreaming?

Whoops! It just bumped. I must be dreaming. Ignore, please.

Posts in Office Party don't count.

GeorgieB
01-28-2009, 05:11 AM
Posts in Office Party don't count.

Bingo! I really have been out partying too much lately.