Who's Hurting Who?

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
I wrote this in the late eighties for a female singer of a popular cover band in Chicago. It went over pretty well. I hung out with them and attended their shows quite a bit. They never recorded it. I'm just digging through my old notebooks. Maybe I should have my wife hide them. I'll lay off for a while. ;)

Mike

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
No opinions at all? Not a big deal, really. Just curious.

Mike

J.J.Hamilton

Registered
Reaction score
a very sad song indeed, i can definitely relate.

I think the lyrics have a certain nostaglia of what could have been if only...but as it's stated, the party's over...

It'd be interesting to hear the melody.

Last edited:

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
It's sad and I can hear a melody when I read it. Something similar in speed and mood to (John Meyers?) ..Lips Of an Angel. The title of course made me think of Journey's Who's Crying Now.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for responding J.J. and P.H. There is an interesting story about this piece. About 20 years ago, I was sitting in a bar talking to someone who used to be a close friend. A very close friend. Long story.

He and I both played guitar. He didn't realize how serious I was about writing lyrics. He said his girlfriend liked lyrics and asked if he could show her some of mine.

So in typical Irish tradition, I asked for some bar napkins and a pen and wrote this as well as three other works on the napkins. This was on a Friday. Lots of drinks.

On Monday, he told me that his live-in girlfriend loved the piece. What my friend didn't realize was that the song was about their deteriorating relationship. She did.

This is also the piece that the band I was talking about played a few times.

This world makes my head spin sometimes.

Mike

Mike

Last edited:

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
This is really really good. I really liked it beacuse it has feel feelings behind it something most people have probably felt once in their life... thats the crazy truth about the world though, sometimes things can really make your head go screwy.. well done brother.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Welcome aboard startwearingpurple.

Mike

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
why thank you. its good to be here. Ive read some of your poems too you have a real talent brother keep it working

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks, brother. I've never typed that before. I always felt that godfather had the rightful ownership of the phrase here. :) I think it's appropriate in this case.

Mike

Last edited:

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
ya hmmmm well its a word he can give out to me if he wants! haahaa doubt he will though he's a nice guy!I like it coz it ... feels right sometimes i dunno... and im a sista but thanks :) can i ask why moblues? why mo? or is that personal?

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
ya hmmmm well its a word he can give out to me if he wants! haahaa doubt he will though he's a nice guy!I like it coz it ... feels right sometimes i dunno... and im a sista but thanks :) can i ask why moblues? why mo? or is that personal?

mo? These are my initials. I've been going by moblues on the internet for about ten years. I could sue the Missouri Blues website for stealing it in 2000. But, hey--it's the blues. I don't mind. ;)

Mike

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
haahaa let them have it and you can have the satifaction of knowing you were moblues first! they cant take that! and im not sure why your thanking me but its aint no bother man i was happy to do/say it

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
im not sure why your thanking me but its aint no bother man i was happy to do/say it

Common courtesy. When are you going to post some of your work? Just about everyone here is very supportive. You'll get great advice if you need it.

Mike

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
Ya, I know that its just see i used to write and i still try every now and then but .. i just dont have that talent i really admire those who do but i dont so i stopped for a while,took a break, and just never got round to starting properly again. see my problem was that everything i write sounds forced even if it wasnt and i could write something and think"damn i like that" and then re-read it later and think "thats so bad" .. but maybe i will post something if i find one thats worth reading.. we'll see... I like reading all the poetry and songs here though, some are just incredible and i really enjoy others work.

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Ya, I know that its just see i used to write and i still try every now and then but .. i just dont have that talent i really admire those who do but i dont so i stopped for a while,took a break, and just never got round to starting properly again. see my problem was that everything i write sounds forced even if it wasnt and i could write something and think"damn i like that" and then re-read it later and think "thats so bad" .. but maybe i will post something if i find one thats worth reading.. we'll see... I like reading all the poetry and songs here though, some are just incredible and i really enjoy others work.

I wrote my first lyrics when I was about 18 or so. I was a guitarist in a really bad cover band. One of my friends used to write some pretty good stuff for my riffs. When I showed him my first piece he looked away and didn't say anything. I asked him what was wrong. He said that this was how he should write. To my knowledge, he never wrote again. He had been writing for about five years. I thought he was going to tell me it sucked. Almost thirty years and probably a thousand lyrics later, I've turned to writing fiction and poetry, and the occasional short.

This is just a long-winded way of saying that you might not know how good you are. Give yourself a chance.

Mike

Last edited:

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
thankya man, i guess your right and i AM only 16 i guess theres some time for improvement huh? what i need is someone to explain to me what exactly meter is? ive read a few times but i have never heard of it before and since ive never shared anything ive ever written ive never had anyone tell me "well meter is..." care to explain? but thanks again its encouragement like that that'll make me do it ill have look through my pads later and find one i like.

Last edited:

davids

Banned
Reaction score
So how the hell we gonna hear the music mike-wanna hear the damn music-tired of all this poetry crap-just kiddin' I think-nice lyrics-where the hell's the music!!!!????

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
So how the hell we gonna hear the music mike-wanna hear the damn music-tired of all this poetry crap-just kiddin' I think-nice lyrics-where the hell's the music!!!!????

Dave, if you've been paying attention to my posts here in Songwriting, you'd know that my fretting hand got messed up about a year ago. I'm almost back. My pinkie is taking its own sweet ass time.

I can get away with leads and playing triads. But not for my stuff. I need to get back to where I was. Patience. Although I admit I'm getting frustrated as well.

As soon as my hand is fully healed, you'll get the goods. I have all of the hardware and software tools to do this quickly.

Thanks Dave and startwearingpurple for your desire to hear this.

Mike

startwearingpurple

wild crazy curves of me.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much that really cleared some stuff up for me(thats a great peom by the way ive said it before and ill say it again you have a way with words) and sorry it took me so long to reply to it too but you know school and stuff keeps me busy busy busy. Hope you hand gets better soon SWP xxx

davids

Banned
Reaction score
Here's the old rule breaker Mike-so when the fingy gets less stingey we get to hear? Whew I was starting to think I was losing it-well I have lost it on several occasions but until now I have always managed to find it-good poetry-God save the fingers-look forward to hearing it. Would it be in the mode of Verdi-Wagner-Puccini or Stravinsky? See Mike I told ya-yup I sure did!!!!

moblues

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you very much that really cleared some stuff up for me(thats a great peom by the way ive said it before and ill say it again you have a way with words) and sorry it took me so long to reply to it too but you know school and stuff keeps me busy busy busy. Hope you hand gets better soon SWP xxx

You’re very welcome SWP. Thanks for the kind words.

Here's the old rule breaker Mike-so when the fingy gets less stingey we get to hear? Whew I was starting to think I was losing it-well I have lost it on several occasions but until now I have always managed to find it-good poetry-God save the fingers-look forward to hearing it. Would it be in the mode of Verdi-Wagner-Puccini or Stravinsky? See Mike I told ya-yup I sure did!!!!

Thanks Dave. When my hand is fully healed, it will take a few weeks to get my chops back. Other guitarists may say: “is he joking, a few weeks?” I’m not. I had a demanding practice regimen when I could still play. The only issue is relearning the music. This is from over twenty years ago. I can still hear it in my head, so it shouldn’t take more than a couple of hours to lay down the guitar tracks. I do have GarageBand, so that should help as well. No, the music isn’t of such a grand scale. Think mid-eighties Heart.

Mike