Who to contact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
I have written two old-fashioned adventure stories (think Johnny Tremaine), both historical fiction about a youth caught up in major history. Though not exactly coming -of-age, they certainly show the boy growing and changing, becoming more radical (for his time) as life serves up some major lemons.

I queried about eight agents about the first book, receiving a lot of impersonal rejections. I admit my query could stand some work, and I did not include sample pages unless they were specifically asked for. But now I am stumped, because there are not that many agents who are looking for YA historical fiction. I am not sure whom I should contact next.

I found the books extremely rewarding to write, so I could just put them aside, but I really want to do a thorough and better job of querying. Since the books are so old fashioned, just stand up yarns with interesting characters and plenty of action and tension, my beta readers (all adults) have been quite enthusiastic. The stories illuminate history as well as bringing alive interesting characters, which is why I think they are YA. They may actually be more appealing to adults, because there is an essential seriousness underneath the story telling. They deal with oppression, prejudice, the iniquities of the class system, greed, and friendship. Witness to Treason is about the gunpowder plot, and To Virginia is about the first voyage to Virginia in 1607.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Diviner, have you tried looking for an agent interested in YA historical through agentquery.com?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
agentquery.com is where I'd go too. It allows you to select multiple genres when looking at agents.

As for your query, you might try posting it in the query letter subforum of Share Your Work. You'll get some feedback on what is working & what isn't with it. The people there usually have a good idea what an agent is looking for.

moondance

Registered
Reaction score
Diviner said:
Since the books are so old fashioned, just stand up yarns with interesting characters and plenty of action and tension, my beta readers (all adults) have been quite enthusiastic.

This may be your problem. If your books are written in an 'old-fashioned' style, using a lot of narrative telling rather than showing, then you will probably find agents and publishers reluctant. However, it does sound as though your query is the problem, since you haven't had many people actually look at your writing.

Diviner said:
The stories illuminate history as well as bringing alive interesting characters, which is why I think they are YA.

That's not what makes a YA book. What age is your main character? Does he discover things about himself along with finding his way in the world? All the themes you mentioned are dealt with in YA - there is an acceptance nowadays for themes that would not have been published for children twenty years ago.

Have you read any recently published adventure books? If you are serious about placing this series then I strongly suggest you go to your local library and ask them to point you in the direction of popular adventure/historical fiction for teens.

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
This may be your problem. If your books are written in an 'old-fashioned' style, using a lot of narrative telling rather than showing, then you will probably find agents and publishers reluctant. However, it does sound as though your query is the problem, since you haven't had many people actually look at your writing.

I didn't say my telling was old fashioned. I said the story was an old-fashioned adventure.

My main character grows from 14 to 17 over the two books.

I couldn't find any recently published adventure books--lots of fantasy and edgy coming of age stories, but nothing recent similar to mine. I looked for it in trying to see who might want to publish my work. I will ask for librarian help, though, which I have not yet done.

Thanks, and I am following up on the agentquery site. I am satisfied that my new query for Witness is as good as it can get, but I have not yet worked out a query for To Virginia.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
I find a lot of agents who represent children's books, do so more generically than adult agents. What I mean is often the little blurb under the agent will say "represents fantasy, women's fiction, YA and MG, no picture books" or something like that. So I would query agents who just simply accept YA.

As for the writing itself. Work on your query, put it up in the Share Your Work forum. Even if you think it's perfect. Often you just don't see things that others may notice. And the nice thing about a query letter is that any crtiques aren't personal. You are trying to write something that sells your book, it's a very impersonal, practical activity. It's not like people are commenting on your book itself.

Also don't worry if you think no one publishes your kind of work. I find more often than not, somebody somewhere does. Remember there is no such thing as an original idea, just refreshing ways of expressing it.

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
I queried about eight agents about the first book, receiving a lot of impersonal rejections. I admit my query could stand some work, and I did not include sample pages unless they were specifically asked for. But now I am stumped, because there are not that many agents who are looking for YA historical fiction. I am not sure whom I should contact next.?

You might consider seeing which publishers accept YA without an agent. Some of them do. I'm working on a couple of YA historicals myself, so I've looked at this a bit :)

Since the books are so old fashioned, just stand up yarns with interesting characters and plenty of action and tension, my beta readers (all adults) have been quite enthusiastic.

If you're looking at these as YA, get some teenage beta readers.

laurenem6

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dragon.ycp.edu
Does anyone around here ever try querying publishers directly? That's what I've been doing, but it seems like everyone is always talking about agents, agents agents. If you think there aren't any more agents who want your type of novel, why not try publishers?

blackholly

I could be wrong, but your books sound more like middle grade than YA, even given the age of the protagonist. It's a difficult distinction to make--there are some articles like this one that are somewhat helpful:

http://www.write4kids.com/feature6.html

But the best way to decide is to read some of the historical fiction out there for middle grade and for YA. For YA, you might want to look at some recent historical books like M.T. Anderson's amazing OCTAVIAN NOTHING (which just won the National Book Award and was a Printz honoree) and Laurie Halse Anderson's FEVER 1793.

For middle grade, you might look at a book like Heather Vogel Frederick's THE VOYAGE OF PATIENCE GOODSPEED and the Newbery-winning A SINGLE SHARD by Linda Sue Park

You might also want to look at the way those books were described to consider how to pitch your book in your query. Good luck!

Diviner

Registered
Reaction score
I could be wrong, but your books sound more like middle grade than YA, even given the age of the protagonist. It's a difficult distinction to make--there are some articles like this one that are somewhat helpful:

http://www.write4kids.com/feature6.html

But the best way to decide is to read some of the historical fiction out there for middle grade and for YA. For YA, you might want to look at some recent historical books like M.T. Anderson's amazing OCTAVIAN NOTHING (which just won the National Book Award and was a Printz honoree) and Laurie Halse Anderson's FEVER 1793.

For middle grade, you might look at a book like Heather Vogel Frederick's THE VOYAGE OF PATIENCE GOODSPEED and the Newbery-winning A SINGLE SHARD by Linda Sue Park

You might also want to look at the way those books were described to consider how to pitch your book in your query. Good luck!

Thanks for the link and the reading suffestions. I shall locate the books and look at them.

Status
Not open for further replies.