Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Just had to vent: I re-read the short story I submitted two weeks ago and caught a paragraph with some mangled verb tenses. Luckily, it was the only paragraph that contained this problem, but I'm just kicking myself for not catching it. Two critters missed it too. Aauugh!

The Lady

Critical Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
theladywolf.livejournal.com
Oh even the name of your post gave me the chills. I'm always finding something else, too late.

Oh well, guess you'll just have to hope they reject you so you can fix it before you send it out again.;)

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I submitted the first book of my YA series and discovered, three weeks later, that I'd gotten a name wrong in one chapter. Twice. I'd read those passages seven or eight times and had missed the errors every time.

That publisher rejected the book (for reasons other than the name thing, I think... LOL).

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Been there. I always notice things after the fact, even after reading it before sending it. I sometimes think we could take it word by word, as slow as can be and we'd still miss something. :Shrug:

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I just reread something I wrote a couple of years ago - it was better than I remembered, but I still found ten places in as many pages where it needed tightening up.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
By the time your story goes out, it should be as perfect as you can make it. Unless you receive feedback to help change the piece, maybe it's best not to read it again.

This reminds me of discussions that take place in your mind after an argument. You can always think of things you should've and could've said, but you didn't. The argument stands as is, as does the work you sent.

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
HA! That's me on any given day. My zeal gets the better of me as I rush to send stuff out. One day, after the pixies drop magic sprinkles from fairy-dairy land, I'll have a primo secretary who proofs all of my stuff...and then I'll win the pulitzer, and the Caldecott, and the NJ Big Game Lottery, and, and and...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The first writing teacher I had said she still does this, even though her novel may be in its second or third printing. The moral is to make it as good as you possibly can, then once it's gone (submitted, sold, in print, whatever), let it go. No rereading allowed.

Maryn, who tries to follow that advice

jerrymouse

Banned
Reaction score
i find a project finishes me before i finish it. i endevour to make it great, i am happy if its good. if there are any points that need attention after that, well thats what editors are for.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
I can top that: I read a published story of mine and found an error! It was a timeline issue that I missed in a rewrite--a character steps off a bus, but a moment later says she's been wandering around lost for a half and hour. (In the first draft I didn't show her stepping off the bus.) Whoops. Neither editor caught it, either. I feel stupid.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Whoops. Neither editor caught it, either. I feel stupid.

Well, think of it this way: if neither editor caught it, then the story must have been so absorbing that they read right past the goof.

That's what I'm telling myself anyway about my own faux pas, at least. :D

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I've done that once or twice before. :rant: I sent sample chapters to a few agents and went back a few days later to discover I had a couple typos in the material. It's instead of its. Stuff like that...

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
I did that with the last manuscript I submitted. It was not fun finding after I submitted, all the manifold mistakes within my piece. I was embarrassed beyond comprehension.

When I submit my present work, I'm going to be pretty darned sure it's finished before I submit.

I will not make that mistake again.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I did that with the last manuscript I submitted. It was not fun finding after I submitted, all the manifold mistakes within my piece. I was embarrassed beyond comprehension.

When I submit my present work, I'm going to be pretty darned sure it's finished before I submit.

I will not make that mistake again.

I wouldn't stress too much about it. I found a few mistakes in the last story I submitted to the same magazine. They bought it anyway. Gotta love editors. Sometimes, I have to just learn to let go. Otherwise, I can tweak something forever. This is why I can't read anything I've written after publication. I still want to tweak it!

KCathy

Writer when I grow up
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.catherinebusinelle.com
I no longer allow myself to read anything after submitting it. On the bright side, I stopped having as many problems when I gave myself a deadline of three days before I wanted to turn something in, forced my husband to check for obvious errors, and then revised one last time the day I turned it in. On the dark side, there's always something that could be better (or that I convince myself could be better) and I WILL find it. And obsess and obsess and obsess.

I did once have a magazine editor add a few sentences here and there that freaked me out a little bit because they were goofy and I couldn't remember writing them. Checking my submitted Word document was a huge relief because I didn't care if it was his fault I sounded strange. Um, is that strange?

Status
Not open for further replies.