Party Theme Ideas

unthoughtknown

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Can anyone here please throw in some suggestions for a theme for my upcoming 30th bash? I've googled and haven't really been sold by any of the ideas I've come across. Except for 'Havana Nights'. I think that would be kind of cool...

I don't want to go overboard; probably just extend it to the invites, table decorations and some props around the place...

What ya all got for me? Thanks in advance!

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
You could make it a "World Theme" and have each guest bring a dish from a different culture. That way, you have many flavors, different decorations, and a topic of conversation.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
You could have an Iron Chef theme; have a secret ingredient everyone must use and let them cook.

Or a Tiger-beat theme where you play old boy-band music, everyone comes as a fangrrrl.

The old standby, murder mystery. Maybe an Agatha Christie party.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Mardi Gras/Carnival theme is good, especially if you are approaching the actual date (2/20 and 2/17 respectively).

Masks, beads, etc.

kdnxdr

One of the most important people in the world
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
steadydrip.blogspot.com
How about making the theme about solving a mystery.

The decorations, including headpieces, tables and props could offer clues.

The guests would be motivated to inspect everything with anticipation of some great prize.

Lots of mixing and conversation with a fun factor built in to the whole experience.

Mystery possibilites: some secret of yours, some secret of a popular friend, a Clue type game: mrs. white in the kitchen with the candlestick, etc.

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com
How about a Morroccan-themed party? Belly dancers, rose water to wash their hands after eating, giant pillows to sit on...

PattiTheWicked

Unleashing Hell.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pattiwigington.com
Renaissance Faire. Everyone can come in bodices and codpieces.

Or have a slumber party. My girlfriend did that when she turned 35 -- she rented a hotel room, and nine of us showed up wearing pajamas. We ate popcorn and pizza, talked about boys, and watched a bunch of movies from the 80's. It was loads of fun.

pink lily

I regret everything
Registered
Reaction score
Disco theme, everyone dresses in glittery 70s gear, and lots of boogie-woogie beats will have everyone dancing.

1980's theme, with big shoulder pads for the women, thin ties and pleated pants for the men, and Brat Pack movies for the DVD (or VCR!) player, or Duran Duran and other new wave tunes for the dancers.

A friend of mine had a "bootlegger/gangster" party. Costumes ranged from flapper dresses to zoot suits; a nice Al Capone theme.

I once went to a Halloween wedding. The theme was "marriage is the death of all hope," and everyone was asked to dress as ghosts, zombies, dead people, etc.

Have a fun 30th!

kristie911

Happy to be here
Registered
Reaction score
For my 30th, I went with a "get drunk and forget I'm turning 30 party." It was a great theme with lots of shots and some vomiting later in the evening.

The downside...I was still 30 the next day! :)

unthoughtknown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
Thanks everyone. I looooooooooooove the Moroccan look. I was inspired by that for my engagement party actually.

I'm still going with the hat/wig/headpiece thing. I took photos of my dog in different hats for the invites. Exceptionally lame, I know, but he just looks sooooo cute... ;-)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
I went to a theme party once where the guests were dressed as emotions. There were some creative touches, but nothing like the guy who showed up wearing nothing but a pear around his crotch.

The host of the party had a fit. She yelled at the man for not following her theme, and he said, "But I am an emotion! I'm in dis-pear."

unthoughtknown

Registered
Reaction score
Website
jennifersando.com
I went to a theme party once where the guests were dressed as emotions. There were some creative touches, but nothing like the guy who showed up wearing nothing but a pear around his crotch.

The host of the party had a fit. She yelled at the man for not following her theme, and he said, "But I am an emotion! I'm in dis-pear."

Hahahahahhhahahahhaha - that's wicked. Funniest thing I've read all day.

Vincent

Cheers
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
You could have a mummy unwrapping party, they're pretty cool. And hardly anyone does them anymore, so yours will be unique.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For my last birthday party, the food theme was Cakes That Look Like Entrees and Entrees That Look Like Cakes. I made a double layer meatloaf using 8" cake pans and "frosted" them with mashed potatoes, somebody made a Bundt cake that looked like a pumpkin, somebody else made a vegetarian casserole that looked like pineapple upside down cake, and the main birthday cake looked like a meatloaf.

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
For my 35th my friends staged a 'James Bond' themed party.

There was a Bond movie playing on every tv in the house and 'martinis' and a roulette wheel, and my ex even sobered up enough to wear a suit jacket and a bow tie and act like a Maitre' D.

....'Birthday......
Happy Birthday......"

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I stopped having themed birthday parties when I moved out of my mom's house.

Granted, I was 35 at the time, but still... the point is, I don't throw parties for myself.

And the last "surprise" party someone threw me was 10 years ago. I haven't spoken to them since.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The best party I ever went to was a Mad Hatter party. You couldn't get in without a hat or other headpiece, and you had to keep it on. The idea was the more flamboyant or outrageous the hat, the better.

My hat totally rocked--a bright orange nylon collapsible number in the style of Yosemite Sam but a little larger--but I didn't even come close to winning any of the prizes (which were just silly stuff, not valuable).

Maryn, who hasn't seen that hat in years but knows she'd never get rid of it