What do you know about Zoo Animals?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to start outlining my next WIP and would need to know anything you know on any breed of zoo animal.

Wether it be what time they like to eat, how long they sleep, behavioral patterns, if some animal get along with other types of animales for some strange unexplained reason, ANYTHING you can throw at me.

I'll be doing my own research this spring (spending lots and lots of time at the zoo hoping my then 5 year old doesn't find out where I'm going without him). For now I'd like some general information from you.

OR

If you know of any links, books, programs that may help me learn more about caged animals.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Without throwing my book idea out there (I'd rather not until I'm confident with the direction it will take me) I basically am looking for caged animal behaviors, eating patterns, life span, basic intro to zoo animal stuff.

I know I'll find most of this on the www or in books, but for now, anything you can throw at me is appreciated.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
An example from the LA Zoo webpage FAQs page:

Though the Zoo is not able to offer refunds or “rain-checks” for bad weather, there are some animals that love to be out during the rain, and the Los Angeles Zoo was recently voted the “Best Thing to do on a Rainy Day” by Los Angeles Magazine.

Do you know what animals would do what in the rain? Or, what animals sleep during the day and are active at night?

Those sorts of silly questions.

dahmnait

Just a figment…
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
When you figure it out, will you let me know?

Sandi LeFaucheur

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sandilefaucheur.com
What kind of a zoo are you talking about? When you mention "caged animals"--are you talking about the horrid type of zoo where animals are in concrete-floored pens with bars? Hopefully, most zoos have moved away from that. At the Toronto Zoo, for instance, sometimes you're hard put to see the animals, because they're so far away! In the old fashioned zoos, stress behaviours (pacing, etc) would be more prevalent.

Here is a site that looks like it has useful information: http://www.bornfree.org.uk/zoocheck/zcprojects01.htm I'll confess that I didn't read it, because I get horribly upset about animals in captivity.

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Lots of the larger more well known zoos have "zoo-cams" especially for the more popular animals, where you can watch their every day behaviour on your computer. The sites will also give info on that particular animal. I recall watching the "Panda-cam" when a female panda had given birth. I took a peek each day to see how the new little one was faring. I used to also watch a cam set up at a real African watering hole, just to see all the animals that visited. Fascinating stuff.

Evaine

Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeinhay.blogspot.com
Everything I know about zoo animals, I learned from Gerald Durrell.
He was a marvellous writer, who opened a zoo in Jersey because he wanted to get away from the large-animal-in-small-cage type of zoo, and provide something approximating the animal's natural habitat so that the animal was happy, and the public were seeing some of the animal's natural behaviours.
He wrote several books, some about travelling to exotic places to capture the animals for zoos, as well as a very funny book about his childhood (My Family and Other Animals).

Status
Not open for further replies.