PDA

View Full Version : Agent Communication

FireMedic 105
01-26-2007, 06:47 PM
I have been represented since the 1st of November. The agent was very excited at first, but also stated that my manuscript would be a tough sell.
I was receiving updates about every 2 weeks. A listing of submissions, followed by rejections. This lasted through mid December. After the 1st of the year I emailed a request for any updates and she replied with a couple of rejections and a couple of new submissions. My question would be how long between communications should I wait? She once told me in the beginning she would let me know when she heard something. Now, as she takes on new clients and my manuscript is a "tough sell" is her interest waning? How do I inquire without being construed as a "pain"? It seems that for this industry, based on communication, they are the most non-communicative types. Not only the agents but the editors too. I am expecting too much?

Namatu
01-26-2007, 06:59 PM
Every two weeks set a high standard. Publishers often can't respond that quickly to submissions and have timeframes similar to that of agents in considering a work. You may have to nudge your agent for an update from time to time, but you may also want to establish a timeframe to receive them, like every six weeks, and communicate this to her so that you both know what the expectations and obligations are.

You don't mention how many submissions she's made yet. You might also want to establish a timeframe after which you and the agent want to discuss how things have gone, any feedback received from the rejections, whether you need to take a new approach or if there's a revisiting of the manuscript that you can (and want!) to do based on that feedback, and to check in and make clear that you're still invested in the project and gauge whether or not she is as well.

FireMedic 105
01-27-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks.....for taking the time to read and post. At least I am not so much in the dark. She has made quite a few submissions. I believe she had made at least 12 - 15 submissions and we have had about 5 -6 rejections. Thanks Again.........!!!

mysterygrl
01-27-2007, 02:19 AM
My agent automatically forwards me copies of editor rejections within one to two weeks of receipt. There's no need for me to "bug" her about what's going on. Some of the editors have taken MONTHS to respond, which surprised me. But that's what happens sometimes. Try to have patience and focus on your next project.