PDA

View Full Version : So what ARE you reading?

illiterwrite
01-25-2007, 03:32 AM
I just finished The Birth House, by Ami McKay, and am now reading The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss.

(Before the History, I picked up The Memory Keeper's Daughter but had to put it down almost immediately because of things that instantly bothered me about it.)

What are you reading?

jbal
01-25-2007, 03:33 AM
Just got done with Jennifer Government by Max Barry, now reading lost boy, lost girl by Peter Straub. Nosy.

truelyana
01-25-2007, 03:34 AM
Mostly management business books. Very interesting

Carrie in PA
01-25-2007, 03:35 AM
Fiction, I'm in the midst of Moon's Web by Cathy C. Non-fiction, I'm studying Making a Real Living as a Freelance Writer by Jenna.

And no, I'm not just sucking up. :D

jennifer75
I think I'll be reading "The Red Tent" next... if I can manage to read something at all. Wish me luck.

truelyana
I think I'll be reading "The Red Tent" next... if I can manage to read something at all. Wish me luck.

I have that book

Azure Skye
01-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Just finished the Dollhouse Murders and I just cracked The Life and Times of Hercule Poirot open.

jennifer75
01-25-2007, 03:37 AM
Have you read it yet?

truelyana
01-25-2007, 03:38 AM
Yeah, i read it as soon as i bought it

My eyes are totally into the books as soon as i buy them

Isanthe
01-25-2007, 03:43 AM
The Sunlight Dialogues, by John Gardner

and short stories wherever I can find them.

KTC
01-25-2007, 03:44 AM
I am reading Before I Wake by Robert Wiersema. What I am loving about it is that it is written first person with multiple narratives. I love the jumping from one first person to another. It's about a hit and run accident that leaves a 3 year-old girl in a coma...and how her parents deal with it...but there is also all this other stuff happening at the moment. A dead(?) narrator, miracles...It's really exciting. I've been meaning to read it for quite some time and finally got it the other day. Next...I want to re-read some Kim Moritsugu.

jennifer75
01-25-2007, 03:45 AM
ahem......did you like it???? :) Tell me tell me tell me! I don't particularly "feel it" but a co-worker thinks I'll enjoy it. :}

aadams73
01-25-2007, 03:49 AM
I'm nearly done with Diana Galbadon's Outlander. Why, oh why have I never read this before? It's just wonderful, and hands down the most romantic book I've ever read.

Judg
01-25-2007, 03:50 AM
Widdershins by Charles de Lint
Wyrms by Orson Scott Card
The Mission Song by John Le Carré
Storm Front by Jim Butcher
Shadow Over Kiriath by Karen Hancock
Good omens : the nice and accurate prophecies of Agnes Nutter, witch by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman

Until I go to the library again.

And a couple of volumes of Margaret Avison's poetry

Tallymark
01-25-2007, 03:54 AM
I'm currently reading Volume 7 of The Sandman.

God I love Neil Gaiman.

Del
01-25-2007, 03:55 AM
I'm reading The Shining. I've just reached part two, about 90 pages and I am still waiting to become close to the story. I'm seeing a lot of unnecessary set up. I know King likes to ramble but I'd expect to be intrigued sometime within the first 100 pages.

I think I'll read On Writing again after this so I can have a sense of what he was living in 77 when he wrote it.

san_remo_ave
01-25-2007, 04:04 AM
Rereading The Game of Kings by Dorothy Dunnett.

Dang, that woman could write. Every time I read it I pick up new stuff.

jbal
01-25-2007, 04:14 AM
I'm reading The Shining. I've just reached part two, about 90 pages and I am still waiting to become close to the story. I'm seeing a lot of unnecessary set up. I know King likes to ramble but I'd expect to be intrigued sometime within the first 100 pages.

I think I'll read On Writing again after this so I can have a sense of what he was living in 77 when he wrote it.
I've mentioned this before, but I gave up on the Shining probably ten times before I finally read it all the way through, which was just last year. I think you mentioned taking a month to read a book if I'm not mistaken? (in another thread). I'd never have finished it at that rate. And I only put down maybe one book out of thirty or so.

EngineerTiger
01-25-2007, 04:29 AM
THE CHEQUER BOARD by Nevil Shute (he also wrote ON THE BEACH).

TrainofThought
01-25-2007, 04:35 AM
I just finished The Birth House, by Ami McKay, and am now reading The History of Love, by Nicole Krauss.

What are you reading?I enjoyed The History of Love. In my opinion, I think she did a good job with the storytelling and character development.

I'm still reading The Count of Monte Cristo and I might reread I Know This Much Is True if it's picked for the AW book club. I LOVE this book.

lfraser
01-25-2007, 04:38 AM
Olympos, Dan Simmons

Up next (in no particular order but sitting beside my bed)

Trainspotting, Irvine Welsh
The Kingdom of the Wicked, Anthony Burgess
Lisey's Story, Stephen King

Del
01-25-2007, 04:41 AM
I think you mentioned taking a month to read a book if I'm not mistaken? (in another thread).

Yeah. I love to read but it wears me out. About 20 pages and I'm done. I've always been a slow reader but I've been dealing with additional disadvantages for about 5 years now. Life can suck but you have to play the hand you are dealt. I'm too young to fold. :)

I expect the book will get better. I read Needful Things and it never did pick up for me. I don't expect this to be that way.

jbal
01-25-2007, 04:48 AM
Hmmm... I liked Needful Things waaayy better.

I should add IMHO or something, so people with different opinions don't jump all over me.

tjwriter
01-25-2007, 05:26 AM
I've read Goblin Quest by our own jchines. Very funny, light refreshing read.
Today I finished Posion Study by Maria V. Snyder, which is a most excellent read.
I'm getting ready to start Cast in Shadow by Michelle Sagara.

ChunkyC
01-25-2007, 05:29 AM
Recently finished:

Until I Find You (http://www.randomhouse.com/rhpg/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400063833), by John Irving
Clear and Present Danger (http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9780425122129,00.html), by Tom Clancy

Just started:

The Learned Arts of Witches & Wizards (http://services.raincoast.com/scripts/b2b.wsc/fmp/978155192/9781551923314.htm), by Anton & Mina Adams
Howling Moon (http://www.ciecatrunpubs.com/), by C.T. Adams and Cathy Clamp

Will start soon:

Hominids (http://www.sfwriter.com/cousho.htm), by Robert J. Sawyer

illiterwrite
01-25-2007, 05:35 AM
I've tried to read Until I Find You a number of times. I just can't get into it (yet -- I haven't given up, because I love Irving).

I'm enjoying The History of Love quite a bit. I haven't read Before I Wake yet, but it's on my birthday list. :)

TrainofThought
01-25-2007, 05:59 AM
In my opinion, Until I Find You isn’t his best. I had many questions afterwards that blow the entire story apart. But I love Irving and my favorite is A Prayer for Owen Meany.

janetbellinger
01-25-2007, 06:05 AM
Vinyl Cafe by Stuart McLean.

I know it's not anything heavy but I get to read one story at a time.

Soccer Mom
01-25-2007, 06:09 AM
A Hatful of Sky, Terry Pratchett

Sean D. Schaffer
01-25-2007, 06:09 AM
I'm reading Eldest by Christopher Paolini. I think it's pretty well-written, and it keeps me interested partially because of the nice, short chapters.

I haven't been reading much of it lately, as I've been busy with my novel re-write. But I'm up to Chapter 5, I think, and I like it.

finch
01-25-2007, 07:20 AM
Fiction: Just finished re-reading Grave Peril (http://www.amazon.com/Grave-Peril-Dresden-Files-Book/dp/0451458443/sr=1-1/qid=1169695153/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-5720439-7992108?ie=UTF8&s=books), the third of the Dresden books. Probably should pick up the next one now that I've got my interest back up.

Non-fiction: Black Holes (http://www.amazon.com/Black-Holes-Edge-Space-Time/dp/0385075162) by Walter Sullivan. Had to do some backstory research, but it's a good read regardless.

K1P1
01-25-2007, 07:23 AM
The Serpent on the Crown - Elizabeth Peters
And a bunch of books about Fair Isle knitting.

AmyBA
01-25-2007, 07:27 AM
The Monsters: Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein (loving it so far!) and the current issue of Vanity Fair.

Mom'sWrite
01-25-2007, 07:30 AM
Bee Season by Myla Goldberg in the fiction category. I like her characterizations.

To the kids: Collinsfort Village by AW's very own Joe Ekaitis. My 5 year old has developed a full-on crush for Griff. I found the book under her pillow this morning. (Note to self: Delicately explain the interspecies taboo to daughter, soon.)

Nonfic: I'm still slogging through Marie Antoinette by Antonia Fraser. I'm thinking of just skipping the guts of the book and go right to the big finish.

CaroGirl
01-25-2007, 07:35 AM
Right now I'm reading The Birth House by Ami McKay. And to the kids I'm reading The Thief Lord by Cornelia Funke.

I got a gc for my birthday and went straight out and bought the following, all of which are fighting to be next on my list: She's Come Undone by Wally Lamb, The Friends of Meager Fortune by David Adams Richards, and Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures by Vincent Lam. I also have The Inheritance of Loss by Kiran Desai and The Way the Crow Flies by Anne Marie McDonald.

Hm, what next...?

Kudra
01-25-2007, 07:56 AM
Maximum City by Suketu Mehta. Next on the list: I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou.

triceretops
01-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Shadow of the Dolls, just to get a grip on the romance perspective. Not bad, good characterization. A bit harsh on all men, but it keeps me reading. It's my first romance, I guess you could say.

Tri

virtue_summer
01-25-2007, 08:28 AM
Just Finished: Isaac Asimov and Robert Silverberg--The Ugly Little Boy.
Reading: John Jakes--The Seekers
Next Up: Octavia Butler--Fledgling
Stephen King--Song of Sussanah (6th Dark Tower, I think)

DragonHeart
01-25-2007, 08:36 AM
Storms of Destiny by A. C. Crispin - About 100 pages in so far, really liking the characters.

Next I'll be rereading The Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn to refresh my memory, I just ordered the sequel earlier in the week.

~DragonHeart~

kristie911
01-25-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm reading Inferno by Karen Harper, Gone by Lisa Gardner and Harvey Penick's Little Red Book By Harvey Penick.

I almost always read more than one book at a time.

Novelust
01-25-2007, 09:26 AM
Just finished 'Kitchen Confidential' by Anthony Bourdain. I've cracked Hugh Laurie's 'The Gun Seller' a few times, but it's not moving along too well for me. I may switch it out for 'Anansi Boys.'

RG570
01-25-2007, 10:11 AM
The Speed of Dark, by Elizabeth Moon.

I just finished The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. It was spectacular.

Gabriel
01-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Lisey's story by Stephen King.
I read alot of good reviews but I really don't think it's that good when compared to his other books especially ones like The stand or Needful things.
Now those kicked ass.

Sohia Rose
01-25-2007, 12:27 PM
Saving Millie: A Daughter's Story of Surviving her Mother's Schizophrenia by Tina Kotulski. I'm almost done reading it. It's pretty good.

And I gotta have a few how-to books floating around here :tongue : Talespin: Public Relations Disasters - Inside Stories & Lessons Learnt by Gerry McCusker. I also just got The White Masai from the library. I haven't read it yet. I hope it's good.

There's always a Newsweek, People, and Time mag sitting on my desk.

nancy02664
01-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Rabbit Redux, by John Updike -- 2nd in his series of 4 books on Rabbit Angstrom (the 5th best character (http://www.npr.org/programs/totn/features/2002/mar/020319.characters.html) in fiction since 1900, according to Book magazine). I've already read books #1 and #3, so now I'm going back for the even numbers. :)

KiraOnWhite
01-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Prophecy of the stones by Flavia Bujor. The writing is not bad, but its simply...weird, just weird.

Annwyn
01-25-2007, 01:21 PM
Okay well, let's see...

I've just finished Adultery by Richard Wright - the writing is goog, but the dialogue stilted and sometimes the reactions of characters is unbelievable.

Trudi Cavana's latest trilogy (I think I spelt her name wrong) which is...well...long, and I just really can't get into it.

Jennifer Arminstrout's Blood Ties (I think that's what it's called, either that or I'm getting confused with another one :) ) But this one was really really really really good, I loved it, but then I have a thing for funky vamp novels ;)

Oh and Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark-Hunter's are really really good - writing might be full of technical mistakes, ie. POV change through chapters, cliches but - alas, it's a light, fluffy read with enough action to keep you hooked and characters that are okay enough to make you want to read on - who can resist a sexy, dark brooding heroes / heroines?

And then there's the law books...but somehow I doubt anyone wants a referral to read that :)

spike
01-25-2007, 02:15 PM
I just finished The Giver (http://www.amazon.com/Giver-Lois-Lowry/dp/0440237688) by Lois Lowery. Excellent book, no wonder it won the Newberry.

I just started Banner in the Sky (http://www.amazon.com/Banner-Sky-James-Ramsey-Ullman/dp/0064470482/sr=1-1/qid=1169719863/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0204908-4855957?ie=UTF8&s=books) by James Ramsey Ullman. I haven't read enough to form an opinion.

In the car I have Murder by Magic (http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Magic-Twenty-Tales-Supernatural/dp/0446679623/sr=1-1/qid=1169719935/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-0204908-4855957?ie=UTF8&s=books), which is an anthology I'm truly enjoying.

Nonfiction, Get Out of My Life, But first could you drive me and Cheryl to the mall? (http://www.amazon.com/Life-First-Could-Drive-Cheryl/dp/0374528535/sr=1-1/qid=1169720052/ref=sr_1_1/104-0204908-4855957?ie=UTF8&s=books) by Anthony E Wolf. If you have a teenager in your house, you have to read this book!

KTC
01-25-2007, 03:08 PM
Bee Season by Myla Goldberg in the fiction category. I like her characterizations.

Whoa! I just finished it last week. Her mom! What a character! I enjoyed Bee Season. The cover said it's about to become a major motion picture? Hmmmm....should be interesting to see what they do with it.

seun
01-25-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm almost done with Elizabeth George's Write Away and King's Lisey's Story. Unless Lisey's Story ends up amazing, I don't think I'll be re-reading it at any point.

rhymegirl
01-25-2007, 05:01 PM
I just finished reading Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris.

I am currently reading Ellen Burstyn's autobiography, Lessons in Becoming Myself.

Shadow_Ferret
01-25-2007, 05:10 PM
I'm not reading anything right now except my own novel.

I'm perusing Scene of the Crime: A Writer's Guide to Crime-Scene Investigations.

jodiodi
01-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Blow Fly by Patricia Cornwell (picked it up at the airport); Naked Pictures of Famous People by Jon Stewart (keep it in one of the bathrooms); Gourmet, Bon Appetit and Southern Living (I'm a cooking enthusiast); and some romance book I don't remember the name of or who it's by (by the bed in case I'm not sleepy).

Mud Dauber
01-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Well, I just finished reading Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets to my daughter (we read Sorcerer's Stone [a few weeks ago] together as well), and now I'm moving on to The Prisoner of Azkaban. Due to the content becoming a little darker, I had to break it to her that this one is just for me.:D Yes. I'm hooked (she is, too). Never thought I would be, based on the first few chapters of Sorcerer's Stone (as some of you might remember from the HP 'honest opinion' thread a while back), but alas, I am. I plan to read through the series and get all caught up before the release of book 7.

Anonymisty
01-25-2007, 10:16 PM
I'm nearing the end of Paul Park's A Princess of Roumania. It's been a strange read. I picked it up because it had been nominated for the World Fantasy Award last year, but I honestly can't decide whether I like it or not.

Next up will be Karen Armstrong's A Short History of Islam.

Jongfan
01-25-2007, 11:19 PM
Seat of the Soul by Gary Zukau (just started , no opinion yet)

Final Exam by Pauline Chen :if you aren't squeamish or an epath, this is a great read.

Complications by Atul Gawande : I like this one so far, however it makes you realize how much you need to know before checking into a hospital for surgery..

BlueTexas
01-25-2007, 11:51 PM
I just finished Lisey's Story and loved it. Right now I'm reading The Examined Life - philosophy, and We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson. Oh, and I just finished Psychology for Dummies. Needed insight for a character and those dummies books help me with that every time.

BlueTexas
01-25-2007, 11:51 PM

I read this a couple years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sohia Rose
01-26-2007, 12:04 AM
... those dummies books help me with that every time.

I love those too!

Jongfan
01-26-2007, 12:07 AM

Jennifer, I read this 3 years ago, it was a great book.

Enjoy

Anonymisty
01-26-2007, 01:15 AM
I'm perusing Scene of the Crime: A Writer's Guide to Crime-Scene Investigations.

Have you read Deadly Doses (from that same series)? I haven't written anything involving poisons yet, but I wanted to after reading that. *grin*

BlueTexas
01-26-2007, 01:21 AM
Whoa! I just finished it last week. Her mom! What a character! I enjoyed Bee Season. The cover said it's about to become a major motion picture? Hmmmm....should be interesting to see what they do with it.

Wow, a movie. I loved this book. I bet in movie form the ending gets butchered, though. If I recall, it wasn't a very feel-good ending. Don't want to say more and spoil it.

finch
01-26-2007, 01:48 AM
Ordered the next Dresden book but can't wait until it arrives to start reading again. 1984 fell in my lap last night, so it's elected again.

Judg
01-26-2007, 04:47 AM
Oh, and I just finished Psychology for Dummies. Needed insight for a character and those dummies books help me with that every time.
What a great idea! Thanks! (This is not my novel. I'm ALLOWED to use exclamation marks.)

Fingers
01-26-2007, 06:12 AM
I am re reading Spider Robinsons The Callahan Chronicles. I feisty little tome with lots of very good puns woven into the story.

wm_bookworm
01-27-2007, 08:49 PM
I'm finishing up The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. Next I plan on perhaps trying to read The DaVinci Code, but given that I've seen some bad opinions on the book here at the forum, I might just put that one off once more and start something else.

Stew21
01-27-2007, 09:06 PM
A Moveable Feast. Again. Ernest Hemingway and this book play a part in my current book, so it's research and inspiration.

Harris
01-27-2007, 09:10 PM
I just started The Colorad Kid by Stephen King. I'm a King fan but this one is a bit different. I just bought Thunderhead by Preston and Child. I really enjoyed Brimstone, Book of the Dead, and the other one in that series. I am finishing Cursed by Fire by Jennifer Cloud. She's a friend of mine and I like her style. The book is good. I also bought Grave Peril by Jim Butcher. I really enjoyed the first two of the Dresden Files.

Harris
01-27-2007, 09:12 PM
I just finished reading Hannibal Rising by Thomas Harris.

I am currently reading Ellen Burstyn's autobiography, Lessons in Becoming Myself.
What did you think of Hannibal Rising?

Pat~
01-27-2007, 11:28 PM
Current Reads (apart from Writer's Market!):

1. Comic Poems
2. The Stuffed Owl: An Anthology of Bad Verse
3. The World in a Phrase: A Brief History of the Aphorism
4. Helena, a novel by Evelyn Waugh about Constantine's mother (this was Waugh's personal favorite among all his writings).
5. the Bible

Oh, and several back issues of Country Woman that JDKiggins just sent me (thanks, Joanne!) :)

ShapeSphere
01-29-2007, 03:51 PM
I'm reading Jack Kerouac's On the Road ... at home.

Just finished The Color Purple.

I only ever read one book at a time. Just a habit I enjoy.

(Agree with people about In Cold Blood. An ultra-fine novel I read many years ago. The film Capote was brilliant as well.)

Lyra Jean
01-29-2007, 08:40 PM

I think that's when he was all hopped up on cocaine and beer.

jennifer75
01-29-2007, 10:10 PM
I tried starting The Red Tent but got distracted with my Amazon order arriving, so then I jumped into The Last Girl In the Car. It seems like it will be a good one.

Chumplet
01-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I'm alternating between Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick, and For Whom the Bell Tolls by you-know-who.

So far Androids is NOTHING like Bladerunner.

Dixie
01-30-2007, 12:33 AM
I finished a James W. Hall novel a while back. Now that I have some extra free time I've started reading the 'Marley & Me' book by John Grogan. The only reason I read it is because I have big heart for Labrador Retrievers. I did have two who were littermates until money got tight and I had to give them up. They wound up in a good situation though as they are out in Tennessee right now with a professional trainer.

Back on course, once I finish the Marley & Me book I plan on starting Mary, Mary by James Patterson.

jennifer75
01-30-2007, 01:43 AM
I'm alternating between Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep by Philip K. Dick, and For Whom the Bell Tolls by you-know-who.

So far Androids is NOTHING like Bladerunner.

I tried reading electric sheep and though I really wanted to finish it, it just wasn't the right time for me to do it. I mainly wanted to be able to watch the movie afterwards and compare the two. I love doing that.

Namatu
01-30-2007, 02:56 AM
I just finished "Class 11: Inside the CIA's First Post-9/11 Spy Class" by T.J. Waters (good, interesting, and easy to read :) ) and I just started Noam Chomsky's "Hegemony or Survival: America's Quest for Global Dominance." Just started and, after two chapters, just started to skim. It's interesting, but all the little quotes within the sentences are starting to annoy, and the most interesting points he's raised so far get bogged down in the incessant pointmaking of the book's theme. There's no pretense at objectivity either, and I do so appreciate a level of objectivity. I have many more books waiting for me to read that won't be so incessant. I hope.

What will I read after I finish skimming this tonight? I'm thinking "The Zanzibar Chest: A Story of Life, Love, and Death in Foreign Lands," by Aidan Hartley. I've only owned it for... four years.

wm_bookworm
01-30-2007, 07:03 PM
I've now finished The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman. All in all, I enjoyed the trilogy. Not an instant favorite, but enjoyable to read. I'd likely recommend it to others.

Now I've started The Da Vinci Code. After 40 pages, I'm still willing to read it. Not too bad so far, but nothing special yet, either.

Namatu
01-30-2007, 07:41 PM
I've changed my mind and delayed The Zanzibar Chest until after I've finished Shanna Abe's The Smoke Thief. It's lighter. Light is good. Light is very good. No conspiracy of government elitists.

Simon Woodhouse
01-30-2007, 10:06 PM
I'm reading Don Quixote, and a book about life in Victorian London (research).

Kate Thornton
01-30-2007, 10:13 PM
I am re reading Spider Robinsons The Callahan Chronicles. I feisty little tome with lots of very good puns woven into the story.
You might want to visit Callahan's Crosstime Saloon online sometime - just google it!

Kate Thornton
01-30-2007, 10:18 PM
I just finished Raymond Khoury's THE LAST TEMPLAR. Very exciting!

I am now reading 2 by J.A. Jance - 2 of the JP Beaumont series.

Vandal
01-30-2007, 10:25 PM
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown. Before that, I got halfway through The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore then ran out of interest.

Namatu
01-30-2007, 11:47 PM
Have you read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal? It's a great Christopher Lamb book. Better than The Stupidest Angel, which I did make it through.

Vandal
01-31-2007, 12:15 AM
Have you read Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal? It's a great Christopher Lamb book. Better than The Stupidest Angel, which I did make it through.

No, but I have Fluke: Or, I Know Why the Winged Whale Sings in a stack somewhere. I may give Mr. Moore another try.

Namatu
01-31-2007, 03:02 AM
I haven't read that one, but I loved Lamb.

Fingers
01-31-2007, 06:42 AM
You might want to visit Callahan's Crosstime Saloon online sometime - just google it!
Up until about six months ago I was an op in an IRC room Called The Crosstime Inn. I will check it out. thanks.

Haggis
01-31-2007, 07:02 AM
Just finished a 900 page bio of Winston Churchill by Roy Jenkins, called, interestingly enough Churchill. I highly recommend it to anyone with an interest in this fascinating man or his times. Next read, Peacable Kingdom by Jack Ketchum.

eta: listening to Lolita on audio, and about halfway through. Brilliant but disturbing book.

Bayou Bill
01-31-2007, 07:49 AM
Just finished, The Book of Joe, by Jonathan Tropper. The protag "Joe" is a self-centered author who left home after h/s and never returned. His "Book" a mega-bestseller that became a hit movie, did a Peyton Place number on his hometown and the people he knew there. Then his father has a stroke and Joe has to go home.

I'm now reading, Corelli's Mandolin, by Louis De Bernières. Corelli is an charming, mandolin playing officer with the Italian troops who occupy the Greek island of Cephallonia during WW II. There's a love-triangle and things turn ugly after Nazi soldiers and communist insurgents arrive.

I'd recommend both.

Bayou Bill :cool:

Dave.C.Robinson
01-31-2007, 08:24 AM
I've been trying to read Khoury's Last Templar for a while, but it's not working for me. I just read Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet: Fearless and thoroughly enjoyed it. I've got a half dozen others on the go.

Nyna
02-01-2007, 03:56 AM
I just finished Despair, by Nabakov, which I think I might have liked. I'm now reading Wise Blood by Flannery O'Conner, which should take me about another day, and then I'm moving on to The Unvanquished by Faulkner.

aka eraser
02-01-2007, 04:05 AM
Shaman's Crossing by Robin Hobb.

Dixie
02-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Im working on James Pattersons Mary, Mary. So far it is pretty addicting. I may wipe it out in about a week at the pace I'm going.

bardwell
02-02-2007, 06:22 PM
I just finished Christopher Moore's "A Dirty Job," and liked it a lot. Now I'm starting "Broken For You" by Stephanie Kallos.

J. Weiland
02-02-2007, 06:34 PM
Just read Day of the Triffids. Brilliant novel. On the first pages of Eon by Greg Bear.

truelyana
02-02-2007, 10:03 PM
ahem......did you like it???? :) Tell me tell me tell me! I don't particularly "feel it" but a co-worker thinks I'll enjoy it. :}

I completetly understand. It was alright. I guess, it depends how you are when you read it.

Kate Thornton
02-02-2007, 10:40 PM
Just read Day of the Triffids. Brilliant novel. On the first pages of Eon by Greg Bear.

Day of the Triffids (author: John Wyndham) was a big fav of mine in the late 1960s. Loved it!!!! But I had also seen the Steven Sekely film in 1963.

ShannonC_77
02-03-2007, 04:21 AM
I just finished "So Much For My Happy Ending" by Kyra Davis. Definitely one of the better chick lit books I've read. I really enjoy her work.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-03-2007, 05:43 AM
I was reading Eldest by Christopher Paolini, but that kind of fell to the wayside.

Now, I'm reading What Do Jews Believe: The Spiritual Foundations of Judaism by David S. Ariel. So far I'm still on Chapter One, entitled simply, "G-d".

Interesting enough reading, for a non-fiction work. I'm quite intrigued by the work. It's a very good read.

jonereb
02-03-2007, 06:12 AM
I'm seriously considering swearing off 500 page books. I just finished one (True Evil by Greg Iles), and while I enjoyed it I think it could have been 400 pages. I picked up The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin to see why it won The Newbery Medal. I tried The Conjurer's Bird. I'm not sure if it was me or the book, but I couldn't get interested.

CBeasy
02-03-2007, 12:20 PM
I'm just about to start reading Neil Gaiman's new book, American Gods. This is the first book that I've been excited about reading since I started on the Vampire Chronicles which I was fourteen! This should be really good.

Lady Cat
02-04-2007, 07:50 PM
Just finished Neil Gaiman's Coraline (yes, I know it's supposed to be a kids book but I enjoyed it just the same) and I've started Katie MacAllister's A Hard Day's Knight. I love Katie, her books are always a good read.

I'm also about a third of the way through Out of the Dark by Sharon Sala.

Waiting in the wings is Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Widdershins by Charles de Lint.

No wonder I'm not getting much writing done. :D

TsukiRyoko
02-04-2007, 08:08 PM
I can't read one book at a time. I have to have more than one going (just always been that way, I guess). My current books are Cold Fire by Dean Koontz, The Gunslinger by Stephen King, and Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstance volume 16 by Masami Tsuda. (shut up, I like romantic manga.... *stares at floor blushing and picking at carpet with feet* It really is a good story, you know....) Also, I usually have my nose in one of my many favorite herbology books. While I usually just skim through them for what I need, I refer to them so many times a day that it's just be plain rude not to mention them.

Dave.C.Robinson
02-06-2007, 09:27 AM
Just been working my way through the Harry Dresden books-- liked the first three, the fourth isn't doing as much for me right now.

I also went to the bookstore tonight and bought five new books: Uncle Jim's latest, Denny O'Neil's Helltown, Midshipwizard Halcyon Blithe, Patricia Briggs' Moon Called and the first EE Knight Vampire earth book.

I read fast and lately have had time to read at work.

stace001
02-06-2007, 10:12 AM
I have just finished Turning Angel by Greg Iles and read the whole book in 3 days. Could not put it down. Loved it!!

I've just started Where Serpents Lie by T. Jefferson Parker.

crazynance
02-07-2007, 04:49 AM
Just finished Neil Gaiman's Coraline (yes, I know it's supposed to be a kids book but I enjoyed it just the same) and I've started Katie MacAllister's A Hard Day's Knight. I love Katie, her books are always a good read.

I'm also about a third of the way through Out of the Dark by Sharon Sala.

Waiting in the wings is Dark Side of the Moon by Sherrilyn Kenyon and Widdershins by Charles de Lint.

No wonder I'm not getting much writing done. :D

~ and guess who she's been passing them to for the furtherance of distraction and promotion of procrastination?

jvc
02-07-2007, 04:52 AM
I just picked up Bernard Cornwell's, Sharp's Tiger and Sharp's Triumph and plan to read the as soon as possible. Supermarket had an offer, got both (plus another book I forgot the title of) for only £4. I'm well pleased.

Sean D. Schaffer
02-07-2007, 05:25 AM
Still reading the book I mentioned in my previous post, but now I also have a wonderful book--that only cost me $50.00!--about the Olympic Class Steamships.

It's called The Olympic Class Ships: Olympic, Titanic, Britannic, by Mark Chirnside. I look forward to reading it as I have always been a Titanic enthusiast.

latoya
02-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Same Sweet Girls by Cassandra King. I'm loving it so far. This is the second book I've read by her. The first was The Sunday Wife, also a very good read.

Before this I read The Known World by Edward P. Jones.

farfromfearless
02-07-2007, 06:54 AM
Widdershins by Charles de Lint;
Magic Time by Marc Scott Zicree;
Safe-keeper's secret by Sharon Shinn;

readlorey
02-08-2007, 01:08 AM
Witches' Spell a Day Almanac

Ninja Mind Control

The Lost Civiliaztions of the Stone Age

Earth, Air, Fire & Water

I just bought some more ninja books. I don't want to learn how to kill (though that could come in handy), but I am looking for some kind of personal training system. That and self defense. Ninjas had a code of their own and were highly trained. I want their self control knowledge, especially.

The others are for fun. I am also reading Writing Down the Bones and King's On Writing.

chartreuse
02-08-2007, 01:10 AM
I finished a couple of novels in the last few weeks - Talk Talk by TC Boyle and The Chronoliths by Robert Charles Wilson. Talk Talk is good, but not quite as enjoyable as Drop City or Friend of the Earth. The Chronoliths, on the other hand, was excellent, with both great pacing and lots of philosophical/scientific tidbits to mull over.

Last week we were at the beach and I read The Road by Cormac McCarthy in a day. One of the best TEOTWAWKI novels I've ever read, although I wish it had been about twice as long. Be forewarned: if you've seen Children of Men recently and are looking for a "feel good" experience to counterbalance, this is NOT it.

Dixie
02-08-2007, 01:36 AM
I just finished Mary,Mary and Ive started on The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson. Im tempted to run out and buy a Dean Koontz novel simply because I've wanted to try his books. Any suggestions?

chartreuse
02-08-2007, 02:16 AM
I just finished Mary,Mary and Ive started on The Big Bad Wolf by James Patterson. Im tempted to run out and buy a Dean Koontz novel simply because I've wanted to try his books. Any suggestions?

I like Dark Rivers of the Heart:

http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Rivers-Heart-Dean-Koontz/dp/0553582895

It's a good read, and if you've ever thought that it's starting to look a bit like 1984 'round here, this won't convince you otherwise.

Julie Gray
02-16-2008, 12:51 AM
Chartreuse - I was wondering, I just finished Drop City last night, and though I am a huge TC Boyle fan, I felt like that was something a little bit missing in the ending...Did you feel that way?

Claudia Gray
02-16-2008, 01:06 AM
I just finished The Tribune by Patrick Larkin. OK, although not what I was expecting and not wholly successful. I was expecting a tale of the Roman military, but instead it's a story about early Christianity. Well, that's okay too. But the author's eagerness to bring in tons of people from the Bible before Jesus is preaching and teaching definitely works against him; a whole lot of amazing coincidences pile up. Plus, the main character is investigating a crime, so he's actually questioning Jesus and Mary. (Mary = cool under interrogation.) It gets a little "CSI: Nazareth." I also found a late-in-book subplot about a love interest to be rushed and shallow.

That said, there was some good period detail in it and I did not see the final twist coming. I was more entertained than not, definitely.

Now I am working on some nonfiction, Christian Meier's biography of Julius Caesar.

HourglassMemory
02-16-2008, 01:29 AM
I'm currently reading "The Lord of the Rings" for the first time!
My average is a chapter per 2 days.
Because I spend my time doing other stuff and I read it when I'm in bed.
I currently have it on a chair right beside me.

The Scip
02-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Reading Stephen Kings new one Duma Key so far its not too bad. Also reading a book on how to teach reading for a master's class. Fun stuff

dirtsider
02-16-2008, 01:35 AM
Currently reading:
The Battle for Middle-Earth by Fletching Rutledge - an interesting book on the Christian element of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
The Element Encylopedia of Psychic World (research)
Triumph of the Moon by Ronald Hutton (research)

Up next:
The History of Magic (research)
The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop
and a whole lot of other metaphysical/supernatural/magic stuff for research.

RickN
02-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I'm a multi-book reader. I always have at least one hardback in progress: I take one one to lunch with me since I can prop it open while I eat.

Hardback: Write is a verb by O'hanlon.
Paperback: The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy. I'm a big fan of Conroy. My 11th-grade homeschooler will be reading a couple of his books this spring, including Lords, so I'm refreshing myself on the story.

Pike
02-16-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm so ashamed. There's such a heap of serious readers as I trudge through a book.

I picked up S.M. Peter's Whitechapel Gods, a steampunk story that's a little cluttered in characters but so far a fun read. After that I've got Murphy's Heart of Stone. I read an exerpt and fell in love with her prose.

Pike

chartreuse
02-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Simultaneously reading The Bridge of Years by Robert Charles Wilson and Generation Loss by Elizabeth Hand, as well as issues of Nexus and The Sun.

Stormhawk
02-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Spirits in the Wires by Charles de Lint.

Then after that...one of the other six books by him that I ordered from Amazon. :)

crazynance
02-18-2008, 06:21 AM
I'm so ashamed. There's such a heap of serious readers as I trudge through a book.

I picked up S.M. Peter's Whitechapel Gods, a steampunk story that's a little cluttered in characters but so far a fun read. After that I've got Murphy's Heart of Stone. I read an exerpt and fell in love with her prose.

Pike

don't sweat it! you're reading, that's the main thing.

blacbird
02-18-2008, 10:42 AM
Two things:

First, I broke down and started Tony Hillerman's recent novel The Shape Shifter. I was so dismayed by the last thing of his I tried to read (The Sinister Pig) that I swore off reading any more of his stuff. But I weakened. So far, the new thing is better.

And, in my continuing effort to read major classics I haven't previously done, I'm working on Huxley's Brave New World. Purty good stuff.

caw

Paichka
02-18-2008, 11:30 AM
I am currently reading:

The Charnel Prince by Greg Keyes (Book 2 of The Kingdoms of Thorn & Bone)

Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory (Whee!)

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erickson (Malazan Book of the Fallen, Book 1)

In the hopper are:

The Belgariad (volumes 1 & 2) by David Eddings
The Once and Future King by TH White
Insomnia by Stephen King
The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards

I also have five or six more books coming from Amazon. I average 2-3 books a week, so this isn't too overwhelming.

IceCreamEmpress
02-18-2008, 10:25 PM
I read an amazing book last night: The End of Mr. Y by Scarlett Thomas. It's a speculative fiction about mind travel, structured as a very literary mystery. Really gripping.

jessicaorr
02-19-2008, 10:22 PM
I'm reading Dava Sobel's Planets and Isaac Asimov's Gold Collection