Who are the new wild humorists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
So who are the new humor meisters? There was a period where funny and wayout was all over the place: Hunter Thompson, Dave Barry, Carl Hiaasen, PJ O'Rourke, Patrick McManus, Doug Adams. But now? Is Douglas Coupland the idea of a funny guy? Is he even still current? Other than Joe Keenan, I haven't seen a really funny author in a long time, much less anybody who really pushes the envelope like O'Rourke and Thompson used to. Are we too politically correct for humor any more? Do people think Al Franken is funny? Or are there people out there I don't know about (certainly likely)

Who are the wildmen these days?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Lindo said:
Hunter Thompson, Dave Barry, Carl Hiaasen, PJ O'Rourke, Patrick McManus, Doug Adams.

Carl Hiaasen was never funny. Hunter Thompson was funny when I was young and stupid (as opposed to old and even stupider). PJ O'Rourke gave me my first rejection, actually, which was kinda funny: God will do number 2 on your tennis shoes. Which I didn't realize was funny for like twenty years. Doug Adams was funny once, but in retrospect I remember myself as too sophisciated for his crass sense of humor. (Though at the time I tried really hard to laugh.) Dave Barry, well, his official website now sports this: "If you leave this web site, I will kill this defenseless toilet." Which is a weak rip of of the NL's “If you don’t buy this magazine we’ll shoot this dog” That leaves Patrick McManus. Who the hell is Patrick McManus?

Riddler

Disturbingly silly
Registered
Reaction score
Lindo said:
So who are the new humor meisters?

Who are the wildmen these days?

Check out David Sedaris. He's a riot.

Also, check out some of the contributors in the Share Your Work: Humor section. They might be some of the next famous humorists, and you can see them here first. :)

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Riddler said:
Check out David Sedaris. He's a riot.

All the new humorists are gay. Even Seinfeld from twenty years ago, they thought he was gay. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I too was going to suggest that you check out Sedaris. He's an absolute laugh riot. I get strange looks when I'm reading his books...because I'm laughing so hard there are tears coursing down my cheeks.

mf3201d

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.findersk.com
Christopher Moore, at his best, is great. If you haven't already, I highly recommend "Lamb." It's probably the funniest book I've ever read.

Russ

pamelajo

Registered
Reaction score
David Sedaris is awesome, but he's not exactly a fresh pup. I highly recommend Naked or Me Talk Pretty One Day. If he happens to visit your town for a speaking engagement...GO! His work is even more hilarious when read in his droll, somewhat nasal voice.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
Just wondering Julie, do you consider ANYBODY funny? Not having a sense of humor is nothing to be ashamed of.

Absolutely agree on Moore...he and Joe Keenan are two of the funniest writers going.

Patrick McManus took an odd route to publishing a series of humor books...he used to be columnist at Field and Stream (or was it Outdoor Life?) His humore is based around hunting and fishing...though it apparently just published a murder mystery. Very funny guy for those who like funny.

I´ll check out this Sedaris guy. Thanks

JeanneTGC

I *am* Catwoman...and Gini Koch
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I think Dave Barry is brilliant and consistently hilarious. David Sedaris I think is hilarious, but there are pieces of his that will leave me flat. Never with Barry's. I think we have all of Patrick McManus' collections -- which is TRULY funny since I and my daughter hate the outdoors and my husband doesn't visit it in any form like McManus does, and never has.

Just bought Bloodsucking Fiends by Christopher Moore; hope it's as funny as it seems like it'll be.

But to Lindo's question, I'm having trouble coming up with "new". I mean, Chris Rock is NOT "new" and hasn't been for years, though he's still funny. George Carlin, same. PJ O'Rourke, same -- but if you've never read it you MUST get Holidays in Hell -- not only is it hilarious but it's scary how very little (particularly in terms of his Arizona Border story) has changed in the world since he wrote it, and that was in the '80's.

I guess I'm with Riddler -- we need to get our comedy butts in gear and get our well-deserved recognition for being the next generation of wild and crazy guys and gals. I'm up for the books, the columns and the TV shows. Who's with me?!?

Julie Worth

What? I have a title?
Registered
Reaction score
Just wondering Julie, do you consider ANYBODY funny?...I´ll check out this Sedaris guy. Thanks

David Sedaris, Augusten Burroughs, Mark Twain...not many come to mind. And a few who don't speicalize in humor, but are terribly funny from time to time. Like Winston Groom, for instance. Forrest Gump was politically incorrect and totally over the top, but it had chapters that were rolling on the floor funny. The screenplay for Crimes of the Heart is funny, as is The Big Lewbowski, though they didn't put me on the floor.

Don't even try to write humor nowadays without reading Sedaris.

Last edited:

plaidearthworm

Rock and Squiggle
Registered
Reaction score
Patrick McManus took an odd route to publishing a series of humor books...he used to be columnist at Field and Stream (or was it Outdoor Life?) His humore is based around hunting and fishing...though it apparently just published a murder mystery. Very funny guy for those who like funny.

I´ll check out this Sedaris guy. Thanks

I love Patrick McManus...he is one of the few people who can make me breathless with laughter, simply for the way he builds up a story. Sedaris, meh, not so much anymore. His early Santa's helper stuff was great, but after a couple of books, I ceased to be interested. If you're going to indulge in self-therapy and take the reader along for the ride, at least make it as funny as Christopher Titus' material. But then again, I have an odd sense of humor. I love the Naked Trucker and T-Bones show on Comedy Central, because it reminds me of those incredibly silly shows of the 1970s. But the new show that gets positive reviews, like Sarah Silverman, I simply can't take. She's the long, ragged claws on the chalkboard of my brain.

Lindo

Banned
Reaction score
Don't even try to write humor nowadays without reading Sedaris.

I can's decide whether statements like that are just handicapped or actively dangerous.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
Lori Nataro (at least, I think that's how it's spelled) is considered pretty funny, too. More in the line of Sedaris, but different. I know, what a helpful post this is -- not sure of the name, no real great description. Ah well, it's late and all...:D

Nancy

Masquerading as normal...
Registered
Reaction score
How about the humor in some newer comic strips, like Agnes? Or are we just talking about straight-up writing?

N

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
I'm wondering if (since I do) writing horror will hurt my chances at being funny? I mean, if I ever get around to the agent thingy, get published then my humor might be misunderstood.

What do you think? Can a horror writer be funny too?

Jaycinth

Your Cuddly Sociopathic
Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering if (since I do) writing horror will hurt my chances at being funny? I mean, if I ever get around to the agent thingy, get published then my humor might be misunderstood.

Actually, that question was on my mind, too.

Can people who aim toward exposing bleak desperation and rich organic stews also find a home among those whose writing tends toward, if not the lighter side of life, the total ridiculousness of the human condition?

wyntermoon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
threeseasagency.com

I think it can be a welcome break in a horror story if done well; not the cheesy pun-filled humor that can swallow a piece but very dry and intelligent.

JeanneTGC

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ginikoch.com
I write speculative fiction, including horror, and I also write humor. You can do whatever you want, really. Just make sure you have some pen names ready.

And, humor is always useful in any story, let alone horror. Think of the Scream films -- scary but with a lot of funny. It works and it sells.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
...Hunter Thompson, Dave Barry, Carl Hiaasen, PJ O'Rourke, Patrick McManus, Doug Adams....

Out of all those, I've only read Thompson and not because I thought he was funny or a humorist but because he was part of the drug culture I was in at the time and we took him seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.