PDA

View Full Version : CDC Emergency Response

alaskamatt17
01-25-2007, 01:46 AM
Well, I've been on this board a lot lately.

I visited the CDC (Center for Disease Control) website to try and find out what kind of emergency response they might have for the sudden outbreak of a disease in a remote part of the country, but I couldn't find anything except job descriptions and mission statements. I've read a few books about disease outbreaks in preparation for this project, but I left my copy of The Hot Zone at home when I came back to school.

The disease breaks out in a relatively isolated coastal community in Alaska, but due to an apparently high rate of transmission, officials are worried it might spread.

What kind of measures might the CDC take in a situation that could easily inflate to epidemic status?

MidnightMuse
01-25-2007, 03:04 AM
Nuke Alaska ?

I kid! I joke.

Um . . . I imagine the local hospitals would have to realize this new problem is a potential epidemic - they would then contact the CDC who would (I presume) inact a quarantine on a local level. As soon as they determine the seriousness, the quarantine would halt all traffic and in out of the affected area, possibly spreading wider to insure a buffer zone - and hope that was inacted in time.

??

Tornadoboy
01-25-2007, 07:09 AM
Killer fungus... CDC level emergencies... damn... this sounds like my kind of book, I want a copy when it comes out! :D

Assuming they have an email address you might just try sending them the question, you may get lucky and find that whomever answers their mail will get a kick out of helping an author.

alaskamatt17
01-25-2007, 08:02 AM
Killer fungus... CDC level emergencies... damn... this sounds like my kind of book, I want a copy when it comes out! :D

Thanks, but you don't even know half of it ... This is just the small stuff. ;)

MidnightMuse
01-25-2007, 08:07 PM
Something here might help:

http://cdp.dhs.gov/related_sites/respguides.html

alaskamatt17
01-26-2007, 01:42 AM
Thanks, Midnight Muse.