I just want to read....

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
Not since October of last year have I craved to pick up a book and read. I've been focusing on writing since NANOWRIMO started last year and haven't read a book since.

I miss it.

Anybody else have this problem? Are you just too consumed with writing, and finding time to write, that you are forgetting that stack of books they left behind?

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm always reading at least two or three books at a time. I can't imagine not having a novel with a bookmark in it sitting on my nightstand. In fact, I can't remember the last time I didn't have at least one book on the go. Heck, I'm even writing two novels at the same time right now.

I'm a sick puppy. :)

If you miss it, that means you want to read. Grab a book and crack it open!

ETA: since the book club is intended for discussion of specific books, I'm going to move this thread over to the Roundtable forum.

Last edited:

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
Don't forget them. They miss you. Can't you hear them calling for you? Jennifer. Come pick me up. Fondle my pages. Break open my spine. It's usually a subtle whisper but if you listen closely you will hear it.
[/silliness]

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
There's always time in my day to read! I'll read standing by the back door waiting for my dog to do her business. I read while my husband is working out in the garage during the evenings. I read while I have breakfast and lunch. Just like ChunkyC, I always have at least two books going at the same time. I can't recall the last day I went without reading at least a few pages of a book, but it was probably when I was 3 :D

Go on, Jennifer, you know you want to. And your own writing will be better for it.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
aadams73 said:
Go on, Jennifer, you know you want to. And your own writing will be better for it.

And I was thinking that reading would be the opposite, that it would influence me in a bad way, like I'd lose my creativity and find myself copying what I've read.

Oh the pain..... :Shrug:

Judg

DISENCHANTED coming soon
Registered
Reaction score
Website
janetursel.com
jennifer75 said:
And I was thinking that reading would be the opposite, that it would influence me in a bad way, like I'd lose my creativity and find myself copying what I've read.

Oh the pain..... :Shrug:
The trick is to read so much they cancel each other out. :)

Isanthe

Registered
Reaction score
I always keep at least a novel going, and usually an anthology or magazine to get my short story fix. If I don't keep reading, I have less motivation to write and I'm a less happy person overall.

Don't worry about losing your creativity. Reading is feeding your muse.

Judg said:
The trick is to read so much they cancel each other out. :)

Judg hit the nail on the head :) If you read widely, all the different influences will meld in a new way with your own ideas and become something different.

jennifer75

SupahStah!
Registered
Reaction score
writerterri said:
I always read to fall asleep. It's nice.

I have a 4 year old. I need nothing else to help me fall asleep. :)

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
I generally have 3 books going at once. My love of reading borders on obsessive. I keep one in my car so that I am never without something to read.

I subscribe to e-pubs, and e-zines, check out library books every month and purchase at least 2 new books a month.

Time.. pffft.. I stay up late and get up early. Reading doesn't hinder writing, it enhances.

ChunkyC

It's hard being green
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, I forgot about the car. I listen to audiobooks and writing related podcasts on the way to and from work. Love it.

Jongfan

Insane, in a good way
Registered
Reaction score
ChunkyC said:
Oh, I forgot about the car. I listen to audiobooks and writing related podcasts on the way to and from work. Love it.

I have tried books on tape, it just didn't feel right to me.. I need to see the written word... but that's just me..

Status
Not open for further replies.