I need a quick rundown on poker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
since ive never played the game, i have no clue how to explain what's going on in a story.

i need to show one guy folding, and three others playing each other, bluffing.

how does this work?

what's the steps to the next fold, and raising the stakes, and all that.

i am entirely clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Last edited:

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here's another thread on poker.

The important thing to remember is that, if you're going to bluff, you MUST tell the other players ahead of time. It's the Rules.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:

thank you.

i really shouldve done a search about this. oops

The important thing to remember is that, if you're going to bluff, you MUST tell the other players ahead of time. It's the Rules.

but not sure what that means.

when exactly do you tell them that youre going to bluff? before the game?

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dude, you really must join my regular poker game. But you'd better bring extra bags to carry home all of our money.

Okay, I'll come back with a serious response later; you deserve a real answer!

Jerry CL

Registered
Reaction score
Bravo said:
but not sure what that means.

when exactly do you tell them that youre going to bluff? before the game?

If you actually belive that, I got a bridge and some beach front properties in Arizona to sell ya at a great steal.

Oh, and the desired actions you are looking for varies a bit on what kind of poker you are playing. For example, my motivation to fold in Texas Hold-em would be a hell lot different than my motivation to fold playing, say, 5 card draw.

Here's some basic to get you started.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poker

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
lol.

wow.

i really really missed that there.

nice poet.

ouch!

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
this is why i avoid gambling....

poetinahat

say it loud
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Heh.

So, really.

The main thing about poker is not to be predictable. If the other players know you only bet big if you have a good hand, you'll never win any money. On the other hand, if you bluff all the time, they'll catch on and clean you out.

Generally, with betting, the idea is that a small bet will keep other players in the game, and a big bet will (presumably) scare them into folding. If you've got a good hand, you want to keep people in the game and suck as much money out of them as you can.

If you're bluffing, you want to get their money, but at some point you have to get them to fold -- figuring it's not worth the risk to find out whether you've actually got a decent hand.
[ETA: They'll also weigh the risk against how much they've already bet on this hand, and how much they have left. A ten-dollar raise may be a big first bet in a small-stakes game, but not so big if you're already in for fifty. Then again, if you're down to your last ten bucks, you might think more carefully.]

So, when bluffing, a person may lay low for a while and then spring a big raise. Or, they may start out big and hope to steal the pot.

Somebody with a great hand isn't going to try to scare everybody off until there's some money in the pot; why waste a full house just for the kitty?

But, again, the trick is not to play it the same every time -- as soon as the other players can read you, you're sunk.

Hope that helps a little more, Bravo.

Last edited:

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
poetinahat said:
Somebody with a great hand isn't going to try to scare everybody off until there's some money in the pot; why waste a full house just for the kitty?

But as you say, the trick is to mix it up. Sometimes you bet a big hand big, hoping other players will think you're bluffing.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Bravo said:
since ive never played the game, i have no clue how to explain what's going on in a story.

i need to show one guy folding, and three others playing each other, bluffing.

how does this work?

what's the steps to the next fold, and raising the stakes, and all that.

i am entirely clueless when it comes to this sort of stuff.

Bravo, I can set up a game with Hammy, JKK, myself and you if you want to play with friends.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
However, the very best way to learn how to play -- and the kind of banter and terminology you're likely to get (much more useful for a writer than just an info dump) is to watch Celebrity Poker on A&E or Bravo or whatever the hell channel they're on. In addition to watching entertaining folks play poker, they start each episode with a poker tutorial, and clarify terms as they go.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Poker

dclary said:
However, the very best way to learn how to play -- and the kind of banter and terminology you're likely to get (much more useful for a writer than just an info dump) is to watch Celebrity Poker on A&E or Bravo or whatever the hell channel they're on. In addition to watching entertaining folks play poker, they start each episode with a poker tutorial, and clarify terms as they go.

An even better way to learn is to go to one of the free websites and actually play while you chat. PokerStars is a very good site for this. http://www.pokerstars.net/

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Yes, if you want to learn how to play shit poker, go to poker stars. I agree fully.

If you want to see how the actual game is played, watch the actual game being played.

Status
Not open for further replies.