Exactly what separates YA from Adult?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Obviously complexity is a player. My horror WIP was originally aimed at teens, 9th thru 12th grade. My main characters are teens. But I've read other books in which teens were the principles and were not promoted at YA. So where does one draw the line?

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the novel. Most novels with teen characters (or slightly older) are YA. That's who tends to care about that age group, so it's easy to market. However, if an author (agent, publisher) feels the plot, writing, or issues would appeal to an older audience, there's no reason that the age of the characters has to define where they are placed. I think it might simply be a matter of where everyone involved feels the novel is best placed (or where they are comfortable in placing it).

That's just my guess, though.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
How would you define it in a query? I guess you'd have to declare one or the other.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
After reading about this question in a couple places, I'd have to say that it depends on several factors, and then some works cross the line from adult to YA, although they are good in either category.

YA is hard to define, unless it is very clear that's what the author intended. I wouldn't worry about it in a query or cover letter but let an agent or editor decide, since their job is to know the market and where your book would do best.

Just my two cents.

Melanie

Status
Not open for further replies.