Words of Wisdom, please...

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
A few years ago I started a book I thought would be awesome. It was a Mystery or sorts. Then a movie came out that had the same theme...what do I do??? Do I finish it and through it away????

Thanks for your input. I have been struggling with this. A friend keeps urging me to work on it, but it lost its luster once someone killed it for me.:cry:

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
*ahem* "friend" speaking up...Write it! If nothing else it is damn good practice.

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
greglondon said:
There are maybe two dozen story plots that will cover most of the fiction you read or watch. It's the characters that make the story yours.

That is what concerns me most I guess, making sure my characters can make the difference.... I know, I know, I won't know until I write it....

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Finish it. If a movie came out with the same theme it means it's at least marketable.

I think I'd be more worried if I was writing a theme that no one had ever done before. Might mean it isn't marketable at all.

Anyway, I know how you feel. I thought the premise for my WIP was very original and now, everyday, I'm finding more and new authors who already do the same thing.

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
That has been my show stopper for not writing, anything really, it has been done. There are tons of things on the shelves now that I thought about but didn't take it very far. When I was 12 I wanted to write a mystery book with horses. Sure I started it, but never finished it because I thought it was a corny idea. Now there is a series called the Saddle Club. ...I could have been a contender....

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
OK, I am going pull it out again. I really liked it so I guess there is no sense in stuffing it in some old filing cabinet in my brain. At least I can say I did something...

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Remember, too, that there could be years between today and the time your novel sits waiting to be bought at Barnes & Noble. The fact that it's similar to some movie may not affect it at all. In fact, it may well lure readers who enjoyed the movie if they can tell you explore a similar theme or plot or whatever it is that makes them resemble each other.

Maryn, who shelved a half-finished ghost novel for the same reason, except it was a TV show

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
Oh yes, definitely finish it! As you are working on it, ideas will come to you that will make it specifically yours. Don't work about duplicate themes. Themes are even cheaper than plots.

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you

Thank you all very much for the support. I look forward to working on it now. Thanks Maryn for sharing your story. :) It helps to know I am not alone. :snoopy:

Del

Sky isn't falling, ground is rising
Registered
Reaction score
In a hole in the dark in a cold cold place
Another point is publishers look for similar works. If something was popular they want something else like it. Am I right?

Original is risky.

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
Good Word said:
Is it young adult? How far have you gotten on it so far?

I have a horse mystery that is young adult. The one that I found is going to be more adult than young adult. Although I could switch it up and change it so the kids play the main roll instead of the mom. Or play it from the two perspectives...hmm going to have work on that. I had two chapters written. That was before I learned that books are counted by words, not pages or chapters....I haven't counted the words yet.

Good Word

still crazy after all these years
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.wordmountain.com
I just bought a bunch of slim YA novels (in a series) related to horses for my niece. She devours them.

Go to the book store and you'll see that there's a market.

If you work in Microsoft Word, it gives you the word count.

Good luck!

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the affirmation. I started writing the YA book because I started reading the Linda Craig series. Sad thing is there was only one book, or that was the only one I ever got. It started me writing what I had and now I want to finish it. :)

Kate Thornton

Still Happy to be Here. Or Anywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.katethornton.net
If I can be of any help in urging you to finish your book, please let me give you some advice: finish it! It will be different from everyone else's idea and you can - with only a few chapters written - make major changes if you need to. Go for it!

moneyonthepage

Registered
Reaction score
Kate Thornton said:
If I can be of any help in urging you to finish your book, please let me give you some advice: finish it! It will be different from everyone else's idea and you can - with only a few chapters written - make major changes if you need to. Go for it!

Wow!! I read your website and came across the reference to woman's world, Key Witness. I remember reading that one!!!!! OMG!! ::sorry a little star struck right now..... ::embarassed smiley here::