PDA

View Full Version : Could use a little help navigating Sci-Fi/Fantasy

mf3201d
01-23-2007, 11:39 PM
Hi Gang,

I'm new to these messages boards ... so hello!

I'm in the process of shopping my debut novel to agents, and one of the snags I'm facing is the genre.

My novel, FINDERS KEEPERS, is a hybrid comic adventure set in present day Earth, but also includes some light science fiction and fantastical elements. Not dragons and sorcerers and unicorns fantasy, but more goofy fantastical, like a dog that talks and my version of Eternity--which is a lot like our modern society, including flamboyant talk show hosts and lavish parties--but where they also are in charge of creating the universe.

So in terms of "science fiction," or "fantasy," does anybody have any thoughts about classification, or sub-genres or agents that I might be looking for as it fits this description?

FINDERS KEEPERS is not straight sci-fi, and it's not straight humor. More of a hybrid, like Good Omens, by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman.

I appreciate any feedback you might have.

Thanks!
Russ

greglondon
01-24-2007, 12:30 AM
You could write your query in such a way to describe main elements in your book without naming a specific genre.

Shadow_Ferret
01-24-2007, 01:32 AM
What greg said. I'd search for an agent whose client list has some authors that somewhat match what you've written and query them.

Let the agent and publisher worry about what genre it actually fits into.