PDA

View Full Version : Reframing the stupid things non-writers say

Bubastes
01-23-2007, 06:13 PM
DBF read the confession-style story I finished last week. He mistook the MC for me (no thanks to the silly adage that "all fiction is autobiographical." Bah!) and said something about me writing out my demons.

But instead of getting ticked off, I reframed the situation in my head and reminded myself that (1) he was interested enough to read the darn thing, even though it's women's fiction and (2) the story was convincing enough for him to believe that it really happened to me.

I gently reminded him that Stephen King probably doesn't have first-hand experience with everything he writes about. I resisted the urge to tell him that the "I" in a first-person narrative is the character, not me.

DBF complimented me on a job well done and peace continued in the household. But man, I hope that reframing my attitude gets easier with practice!

Kate Thornton
01-23-2007, 06:53 PM
I pick up the razor - he's left the crusty, filthy thing out again - and see that the edge isn't sharp anymore. Oh, well, it's sharp enough for what I have in mind.

He is such a sound sleeper, after all, almost angelic until one of those ragged snores causes the hairs in his nose to stick straight out, reminding me of the razor.

I'm such a nice person. I have never actually murdered anyone or ratted out my best friend or embezzled funds from a charity. But he thinks it's me in those first person stories.

I look again at the razor. Maybe it is me.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 07:11 PM
......I'll......just.........be over here...........if you want to talk.

Mmkay?

*LEAVES*

LloydBrown
01-23-2007, 07:13 PM
Worried about something like this http://www.i-am-bored.com/bored_link.cfm?link_id=21610, PeeDee?

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 07:16 PM
The court also ordered the hospital to pay $NZ56,858 costs to the man to pay for the operation to rebuild his penis using tissue from his arm.

THAT'S the bit that's worrying me.

Bubastes
01-23-2007, 07:19 PM
I look again at the razor. Maybe it is me.

:ROFL:

DBF is lucky that I'm not Tess Gerritsen.

Cat Scratch
01-23-2007, 08:26 PM
You have much more patience then me. Then I again, I have family members who give me the eye-rolling "suuuuuure..." when I tell them that no, this story really isn't about me. Don't you just love when people think they know you best?

jodiodi
01-24-2007, 02:46 AM
I wish people thought my stories were about me. I love my heroines (for the most part, until they do something stupid and I want to just kill them off, but no, that's not what happened, they tell me).

Gabriel
01-24-2007, 03:06 AM
THAT'S the bit that's worrying me.

I'm half asleep and this whole damn thread is worrying me!

WildScribe
01-24-2007, 03:10 AM
I get irritated when I hear that, too. I got a rape counseling hotline from someone after they read a short of mine. Geeze!

Judg
01-24-2007, 05:13 AM
MeowGirl, I think that was a fantastic way of handling it. Kudos.