Status
Not open for further replies.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
My husband and I worked out an agreement where I get all Sunday to write. He packs up the munchkin and heads out for his mother's house and I get to sit around in my pjs. This has worked out great as I manage to get as much writing done in one day than I usually do all week long.

But I've been experiencing a strange side-effect. The next day I feel all bummed and blah and moody. It's like a low-grade depression. I take things a little too personally and I'm completely unmotivated. At this point I think it's a crash from the high of getting so much writing done the day before.

Does anyone else experience this?

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Oh yes. A crash from a creative high is much like that of a sugar high. Only worse.

Stew21

Registered
Reaction score
And you also realize that it will be another week until you can do it again, so it probably does feel pretty horrible.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I wouldn't know. I've never been given a chance to do that much writing at one time. Nor have I had to wait a week to do it again. I guess, for me anyway, in the long run it's better to do a little each day and get your fix in little doses than to O.D. in one day, crash, then go through withdrawals for the rest of the week.

Melanie Nilles

What're you looking at?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melanienilles.com
been there many times. Like Shadow_Ferret, I've found that it's best to quit while I'm ahead with some creativity still flowing, so I don't have that crash. Everything in moderation.

Melanie

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Keep an eye on it, because the tricky bit is when you sit down to write and start anticipating the depression. So you haven't even done the creative high yet, and already your mind is gearing itself into the post-creative funk. That can be disasterous.

farfromfearless

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.farfromfearless.com
"For every high - there's a low" or so goes the slogan on a recent drug addiction site I designed not too long ago. In any case, I get these same bouts of lows after rigorous writing appointments. What I usually do to remedy this is to print out the new material and set my inner editor loose for an hour here and there to give myself a little fix.

NicoleJLeBoeuf

a work in progress
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolejleboeuf.com
PeeDee said:
Keep an eye on it, because the tricky bit is when you sit down to write and start anticipating the depression. So you haven't even done the creative high yet, and already your mind is gearing itself into the post-creative funk. That can be disasterous.
How do you, personally, prevent this from happening? What strategies do you use?

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
farfromfearless said:
What I usually do to remedy this is to print out the new material and set my inner editor loose for an hour here and there to give myself a little fix.

That might work.

I was writing in little chunks and dribbles during the week, but what I was producing wasn't great (in both terms of word count and quality) and it was leading to Grumpy Roach Syndrome. This, then, led to the Great Sunday Compromise of 2007. Except for the creative hangover that comes the next day I'm really happy with the arrangement.

Now I'm just trying to figure out minimize the slump. I don't want--nor do I believe I can--eliminate it. Just make it feel less like an angst-ridden funk and more like a mellowing out.

No worries there as I have a hard enough time thinking forward to the next five minutes let alone anticipating what will come 24 hours from now. :D

Christine N.

haz a shiny new book cover
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.christine-norris.com
I think I'm gonna do a Great Sunday Compromise. Once the laundry is done, I'm taking the laptop and going somewhere to write. They can stay home and watch football or NASCAR or whatever else is on.

I try to lock myself in my room, but the kid always finds me. That'll give me a whole week to gather notes, get a game plan and sketch out the next part in my head. AND I won't be chained to the computer every night- I can spend my time with my family...

Oh oh oh, this could work! I'll go to the library or the bookstore or something. YAY!

Oops, sorry, that doesn't help you, does it...

Last edited:

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Christine N. said:
I think I'm gonna do a Great Sunday Compromise. Once the laundry is done, I'm taking the laptop and going somewhere to write. They can stay home and watch football or NASCAR or whatever else is on.

I try to lock myself in my room, but the kid always finds me. That'll give me a whole week to gather notes, get a game plan and sketch out the next part in my head. AND I won't be chained to the computer every night- I can spend my time with my family...

Oh oh oh, this could work! I'll go to the library or the bookstore or something. YAY!

Oops, sorry, that doesn't help you, does it...

Not a problem, if it helps you then that's great too!

Part of the Compromise is that my husband has solemnly sworn to watch the munchkin. This means that if he opts to stay at home he is in charge of keeping her from bothering me. This is probably why he goes to his mother's so often.

I've tried to go other places to write, but it doesn't really work for me. And after all I have an office for this. I have it all set up with all my books for research and my sweet, sweet internet connection and my dried plums and tea. Why should I have to leave to write?

engmajor2005

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, my family and I have worked out a compromise: once all the chores are done, and everyone is in bed, I can have all the time I want to write. I can also write at any other time, but they reserve the right to interrupt me for extended periods of time.

Careful not to slip on the sarcasm. Be thankful your family takes your writing seriously.

Now, to cure your funk, I say re-arrange your compromise. Not only do you get every Sunday, but two hours each evening as well. Your writing is important; fight for it. Trust me, I've tried to fight and have failed.

Siddow

I'm super! Thanks for asking
Registered
Reaction score
The most I've written in one day was 10k. I only did that once, and afterward, I could have easily been mistaken for a shock victim.

I needed several days to return to normal.

Doesn't help you, I know, but it does answer your question: Does anyone else experience this?

I also feel that way after finishing a big project. Once I type "The End" on a novel, I'm pretty much toast for a couple of weeks. Sorta...meh.

I do envy your Sundays. We've got four munchkins, and my husband's idea of watching the kids is letting them loose in the yard while he works on something...yardwork, or carpentry, or something...so of course, when the kids need to potty, or need a drink, or something to eat or whathaveyou, they come to me. Sigh.

Cat Scratch

The Peacock Next Door
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I've definitely felt that myself. It's like I've brought every emotion and impulsive urge to the surface and they're just teeming under my skin making me tense and touchy for the next several hours. I have no cure for this ailment except more writing!

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
What I ended up doing yesterday was calling up a friend and having an hour and a half long kvetch session. Then it was off to the gym in the evening with my husband to lift some weights. By the end of that I couldn't feel my arms, always a good distraction from the blahs.

Well I have six days to come up with some crash response techniques. I'm open to any suggestions. Especially if they involve chocolate. :D

Moon Daughter

Registered
Reaction score
Roach, when Sunday comes around and you don't feel motivated, maybe take a break from it.

ink wench

ray of motherf#%&ing sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if this makes any sense, but I'll suggest it anyway. Are you sure part of the crash isn't just physical? Writing, like any involved mental activity is extremely draining if you do it for long enough. I mean, people plan to eat more/take rests when they're training for a marathon, but planting yourself in front of the computer and writing for hours at a time is also tough on the body. When I'm in the groove, I'll write non-stop, forgoing eating, drinking, and the bathroom. Not good. I'll also feel like crap later when my body's needs scream too loud to be ignored. So just a thought... make sure you're getting plenty of fluids and give your eyes and brain a rest. Stretching is also good.

Oh, and can we trade husbands? Mine cannot leave me alone when I write! Argh!

MightyScribbler

Registered
Reaction score
roach said:
My husband and I worked out an agreement where I get all Sunday to write. He packs up the munchkin and heads out for his mother's house and I get to sit around in my pjs. This has worked out great as I manage to get as much writing done in one day than I usually do all week long.

But I've been experiencing a strange side-effect. The next day I feel all bummed and blah and moody. It's like a low-grade depression. I take things a little too personally and I'm completely unmotivated. At this point I think it's a crash from the high of getting so much writing done the day before.

Does anyone else experience this?

What's your Monday like? Monday's are tough no matter what, so that may contribute.

Tiger

AKA: "Gums of Steel"
Registered
Reaction score
argh. I've always hated that feeling. I thought it was just me for the longest time.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
Roach, when Sunday comes around and you don't feel motivated, maybe take a break from it.

Motivation on Sunday isn't the problem. I'll write like a fiend all day long. It's the creative hang-over on Monday that's the problem.

I don't think it's an affect of Monday either because I've had this before. Ten years ago I wrote a novel in two weeks. They were the best two weeks, creatively, I've ever had. And when I was done I crashed hard! That's when I first recognized the hang-over effect. I don't remember how I dealt with that afterwards (it may have involved spending time doing research on where to send stories or other writing related things) as it's been about ten years since I've done any serious writing.

Maybe I'll have to start my come down early. Usually I break when hubby and munchkin get back to have dinner and after we put our daughter to bed I go back to writing. Some transition time might be called for. I'll try it this Sunday.

Oh, and can we trade husbands? Mine cannot leave me alone when I write! Argh!

Hahaha!

A. Hamilton

here for a minute...catch me?
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I was thining about this today and wondered what your consumption habits are like when youo're on a binge writing spree.
I tend to drink a lot of coffee and quickie snackie foods like nuts and cheese but also more than my share of sugar. I kinda feed the rush, so to speak. Some of the let down the next day could be sugar/caffeine withdrawal.

roach

annoyed and annoying
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.idiorhythmic.net
P.H.Delarran said:
I was thining about this today and wondered what your consumption habits are like when youo're on a binge writing spree.
I tend to drink a lot of coffee and quickie snackie foods like nuts and cheese but also more than my share of sugar. I kinda feed the rush, so to speak. Some of the let down the next day could be sugar/caffeine withdrawal.

Most Sunday's I drink the same amount of soda I usually do other days, along with lots of green and Korean brown rice tea. We don't keep a lot of sugary stuff around the house because it's too much of a temptation. I'll keep an eye on my intake this Sunday though and see if there's something that sneaks in.

Freckles

Oooh, the Rainbow Connection
Registered
Reaction score
I know exactly what you mean. It's almost like your brain completely shuts down from all those creative juices. I try to space out my writing so as not to get overloaded, but when the Muses comes, well, I HAVE to answer the call, right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.