Target Audience for Niche Book: Impressive Numbers?

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing research for the niche, target audience of my book. What is an impressive number to agents, in regards to the number of people who will possibly buy the book? 4.5 million (U.S.)?

Maprilynne

Author Waiting in the Wings
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.powerfulbirth.com
I have heard that mentioning how many people are in your target audience is a big turn-off to agent for several reasons including that you may be setting your sights way higher than they should be. I really don't think that is your problem, but that's what I've heard.

(If I could think clearly I would tell you where I've heard that, but for now, all I've got is, I heard it around somewhere.:))

Maprilynne

P.S. Is your book fiction or non? Because I know squat about submitting non-fiction. Hopefully someone else here can help with that.;)

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
The book is non-fiction.

Just to clarify, I would say something like: "There are 4.5 million people blah blah..."

Last edited:

nancy02664

Baby Name Maniac
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nancy.cc
I don't know what an impressive number would be, to be honest. But I'd imagine that a big number would be ideal, so long as your target market is logically defined (i.e., not "All 300 million people in the U.S. will want to buy my book on kosher vegetarian breakfasts for diabetics.").

I'm not sure a large number would be a turn-off exactly (why would a big market with a lot of potential buyers be a bad thing?), but I think claiming crazy things (e.g., "Author will appear on Oprah") in the promotion section of the proposal could definitely be. I think that's the place where settings your sights too high might be a bad thing.

Sohia Rose

Will write for coffee
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for responding.

My research is based on statistical data from a credible source. I do realize that just because there are 4.5 million potential buyers, not all of them will buy.

Thanks!

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
numbers

Sohia Rose said:
I'm doing research for the niche, target audience of my book. What is an impressive number to agents, in regards to the number of people who will possibly buy the book? 4.5 million (U.S.)?

I a way, target audience size really has no meaning because the only real way to know there is a sizable target audience is to look at the sell patterns of similar books. Subjects that have never been tried will make any publisher nervous, and subjects that have been tried, but haven't sold well, make them even more nervous.

I think, when this is the case, it's far, far better not to give numbers in any sort of specific way.

tombookpub

Nonfiction writer
Registered
Reaction score
I believe that book is deemed successful if its sells at least 40,000.