PDA

View Full Version : high school health class

giftedrhonda
01-22-2007, 09:13 PM
Does anyone remember what year health class was required in high school? Or did it matter which year you took it?

Is it plausible to have a junior in health class?

I'm trying to flesh out some plot stuff for my YA novel and wanted to know if anyone could help with this. I can't remember. LOL

Thanks!

alleycat
01-22-2007, 09:19 PM
At my high school, during one six-week period each year you would have to go to "health class" during PE (the groups alternated; group A this six-weeks, group B the next, etc.). I think that was both the 10th and 11th grades.

Of course, we also have the wonderful VD films from time to time courtesy of the local health department. "Wow, is that penis throbbing!"

C.bronco
01-22-2007, 09:21 PM
It depends on the school & whether it's public or private. Here at my school we offer health to freshmen, juniors and seniors. Sophomores take drivers ed. Juniors get their first aid/cpr certificates.
At the high school I attended, we had neither health nor gym.

giftedrhonda
01-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Cool - I just wanted to make sure it wasn't too off-base to have a junior in a health class where STDs and such are discussed...

Sage
01-23-2007, 12:19 AM
Our health class in high school was usually taken by freshman, but sometimes students had reasons to take it later. We had one senior in our class who was a football player. I don't know if his reason for taking it so late was scheduling, laziness, or failure to pass an earlier attempt.

We discussed STDs, but for an innocent mind like mine in high school, I still really felt uninformed in the whole sex ed area by the end of the class.

Elektra
01-23-2007, 12:22 AM
Same as sage--ours was for Freshmen, but older people were in there too; most of them had just moved here from a place that didn't require it, and the rest had flunked it before.

giftedrhonda
01-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Thanks, guys! I appreciate it...

Moon Daughter
01-23-2007, 12:34 AM
I believe I had health in my junior year of high school. Gym and health were kind of collaborated and we'd be split up into two groups. One would have health for half the semester while the others went to gym. When we were halfway through the semester, we switched. I remember health class being pretty well informing. We got tons of diagrams on the body parts and saw videos. Hope this helps!

giftedrhonda
01-23-2007, 12:36 AM
Cool - that works PERFECTLY, actually! THANKS!!

PattiTheWicked
01-29-2007, 06:31 PM
My daughter is a freshman in high school and will take health class either next year or her junior year. However, they also had health in junior high (seventh or eighth grade). Many school districts, including the one I attended a billion years ago, have a preliminary health class earlier than high school, because kids need to know about vd and drinking and drug use and stuff way earlier than we'd like them to. I think they sent home an opt-out form for parents if you didn't want your kid to get sex education.

TwentyFour
02-01-2007, 06:32 AM
We had Health two days a week, three days of PE.

Then in winter time we would go bowling 3 days a week and have Health 2 days.

thepainpasses
02-25-2007, 06:53 PM
In the past couple years, my school started requiring health be taken by your sophmore year.

That being said, there are currently seven juniors in my health class.

Really, curriculum will vary school to school. But I think you'd be safe.

Shady Lane
03-07-2007, 06:47 AM
I'm in high school now. I took health last year and remember it quite well. Do you have any specific questions?

Southern_girl29
03-12-2007, 10:24 PM
When I was in school, it was a requirement for sophomores to take it. We had PE every day during our freshmen year, which was also a requirement. After you had taken the health course your sophomore year, you could take health occupations later.

giftedrhonda
03-12-2007, 10:53 PM
Cool - thanks!!!

The_Grand_Duchess
03-12-2007, 11:20 PM
I was a junior when I took it becuase I switched schools. The one I left reguired it in 11thh grade. the one I went in 10th so I was the lone junior there.

Petroglyph
03-13-2007, 01:08 AM
I've taught sex ed for 8th graders, so if you have curriculum questions (at least as written and deemed necessary by me!), I would be glad to discuss it with you!

Maprilynne
03-13-2007, 02:13 AM
My hasband took sex ed as a freshman, moved to a new school where it was a required sophmore class, then, moved once more to a school where it was part of the required Junior health class.

By the time he met me, he knew a LOT about sex.:)

Maprilynne

giftedrhonda
03-13-2007, 03:56 AM
LOLOLOL Maprilynne...too funny! bam chicka bam bam...

Thanks again, guys! Appreciate the help!!

Melanie Lane
05-11-2007, 02:17 AM
I'm in health class right now. We had to take mild versions in 7th and 8th, and now as freshman we take the crash course.

You have to take it to graduate. So kids take it any year. I have seniors in my class. Plenty of them.

giftedrhonda
05-11-2007, 03:06 AM
Cool--hey, thanks for sharing!!