giving away your books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard of making your book available online, both recently (probably here on AW) and about ten years ago, when a self-help site had a book for sale and a free PDF download available. Some study was cited that said making the text of a book available online actually increased sales of physical copies.

euphrosene

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.euphrosenelabon.com
Yes, I now plan to do that more actively with mine though mostly with the electronic versions. Print copies will probably go to places like prisons schools and libraries. (They are business/self-help)

btw Google Book Search does have the text available. Amazon offers that too (when I get round to uploading them). Microsoft has scanned 100,000 titles from the British Library ... and there is always Sony e-Reader to consider.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
I think that for your niche of book, the "free e-book" model actually has a chance of working. People like to be able to browse the content of this sort of book rather than buy on the basis of topic alone. But then they like to have the book around to read on the bus, to make marginal notes in, to leave open on their desk, etc.

I've got a book in the same general niche that's selling a couple dozen copies a month. Almost all the info is out there to be found on Goooogle, but nobody else has pulled it all together, not even on a website. Now that it's gotten recommended by a couple of small-business sites, I figure it won't be enough to retire on but it'll sell steady for years. I'm considering putting some or most of it out on the Web to stir interest in a new edition in a year or two.

ALLWritety

One Step closer, I hope!
Registered
Reaction score
I think this is a great idea.

Howdy,
I think this is a great idea. I have given away many e-books and it has certainly genereated interest. I gave to groups or companies that are invoved in about what i wrote on. I did give some away to individuals but by far to groups. I have also given hard copies away too. I would like to give more away but my books have only just come out so I am waiting for the inflow of money 1st!

What I have done (I live in Taiwan and can do here this not sure if it can be done else where!!) but I went to the photocopy shop and copied my entire book and gave those away. It was a lot cheaper this way!!

Kev

Status
Not open for further replies.