PDA

View Full Version : I have an addiction and I need help

Opty
01-22-2007, 08:40 AM
Usually, I eat pretty healthy (or, is it 'healthily?'). I work out 5 days a week when I can. I'm in pretty good shape.

But, that could all be over as of this past week.

I've eaten 4 of those 1/2 gallon tubs of Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough ice cream in 5 days.

I can't help it. I used to not like that flavor, but Mayfield (best milk in the country) has a great recipe for it. Lots of chocolate chips. The cookie dough isn't mushy, it actually has a crispness to it.

It's heaven.

And it was 2 for $5 at Bi-Lo this week.

When I went back to the grocery store the other day, Mayfield was no longer on sale and Blue Bell was, so I got a thing of Blue Bell.

Now, Blue Bell is the maker of my two all-time favorite flavors ("Mississippi Mud Pie," which is coffee ice cream, fudge syrup, and oreos; and "Cookies, Cookies, Cookies" which is graham flavored ice cream with oreos, oatmeal cookies, and cookie dough), but their CC Cookie Dough ice cream isn't nearly as good as Mayfield's.

Anyway, like I said, I've eaten 4 containers this week and I think this addiction is out of control.

I've never ice-cream-binged so much in my life (well, except for when "Cookies, Cookies, Cookies" first came out...which I found a lot in Florida, but can't find anywhere now that I'm living in TN).

Help me.

Thank you.

Pat~
01-22-2007, 08:42 AM
You're asking for help from a bunch of addicts, you know...

Soccer Mom
01-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Read the fat content on the label. That oughtta do it. Whenever I want something and I think I can't live without it, the nasty little label usually snaps me out of it.

If that doesn't work, everytime you eat one, write the calories and fat down. Keep a log. At the end, it will depress you, but hopefully help you give it up.

tourdeforce
01-22-2007, 08:47 AM
Maybe you can substitute another addication for this one.

I've never seen an overweight heroin addict so that might give you the double bonus of helping you get the Cookie Dough monkey off your back and help you drop the extra pounds you picked up this week.

clockwork
01-22-2007, 08:47 AM
From one doctor to another - put the spoon down.

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h134/clockwork9/Dr_Phil_McGraw.jpg

DamaNegra
01-22-2007, 09:03 AM
Who would ever want to quit ice-cream??

Shwebb
01-22-2007, 09:08 AM
You could, you know, try eating it with a spork.

Or chopsticks.

JDCrayne
01-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Fine, fine. Just keep cramming as much of the stuff down your throat as you can and eventually you will urp it all up and that will probably cure you of the addiction.

dclary
01-22-2007, 09:40 AM
Sporky... I think I can help you.

I eat that stuff too.

Now picture me naked.

Problem solved.

I'll fed-ex you some salt for your eyes.

tourdeforce
01-22-2007, 09:43 AM
Please, someone post a picture of Scarlett Johansson... NOW!

JDCrayne
01-22-2007, 09:46 AM

Remember Divine? In a pink jumpsuit?

Opty
01-22-2007, 10:02 AM
I'll fed-ex you some salt for your eyes.

Along with a cucumber, a hot poker, and a copy of The Black Tower?

Bartholomew
01-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Now picture me naked.

...!

*Turns deathly white*

The horror... the horror.

Bartholomew
01-22-2007, 10:09 AM

http://www.hissandpop.com/celebrities/j/scarlettjohansson/photos/scarlett-johansson-006.jpg

JDCrayne
01-22-2007, 10:13 AM
http://www.rpi.edu/~turcoj/Timeline/Art%20History/Pink_Flamingos_mellomstort.jpg

Meditate on this. I feel sure that cookies played a large part in this outcome.

writerterri
01-22-2007, 11:05 AM
Eat it three times a day for 7 days and nothing else. You'll get sick of it and gag at the thought of it.

Cured.

PeeDee
01-22-2007, 11:30 AM
Let it get a little melted and soggy, then try sucking some through a straw up your nose.

You'll be cured. Potentially dead, but what's life without a little risk? (a long one, that's what.)

kikazaru
01-22-2007, 05:23 PM
You do need a substitution.

I used to eat ice cream, snacks, drink coffee, and visit with friends, interact with family, grocery shop and take the dog for a walk. That is history now that I've found my new addiction - playing scrabble against a machine that kicks my butt every time. http://web.mit.edu/jasonkb/www/quackle/

eldragon
01-22-2007, 05:29 PM
Just don't buy it.

If I bought ten pints of Haagan Daz chocolate chocolate chip, I'd eat it for snacks and meals untill it was gone.

The fat content is outrageous, though, so I don't buy it.

Just like donuts - the worst thing on earth for your body. A donut has no redeeming qualities except sugary taste. I never buy donuts. Never. I can't believe people actually go buy them by the dozen. That's incredible.

So, don't buy anymore ice cream for a while.

Maryn
01-22-2007, 06:55 PM
I can see your future, as you see your present...

[Maryn waves her hands dramatically over her crystal ball and hopes you enjoy her gypsy costume.]

The image isn't always clear, but I see you...

In six months (http://www.finansalife.com/image/fat.jpg). In a year (http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/1145000/images/_1149876_fat300.jpg). In two years (http://www.voanews.com/english/images/tv_obese-man-on-street2_6jun05_150.jpg). Three (http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/news/photos/2006/06/26/obese-man-file.jpg). Six (http://www.abacohealth.com/new_website/images/obese-man.gif). And somewhere around ten, when your doctor asks if you're ready to die twenty years before your time, or worse, stroke out but survive, when it's preventable, I see you one last time (http://www.channelnewsasia.com/imagegallery/store/phplZXkTc.jpg) as they ready you for surgery...

Maryn, hoping you don't mind eating servings in the tablespoons for the rest of your life--or, hey, maybe you could do that now, with ice cream!

PattiTheWicked
01-22-2007, 07:16 PM
Post this on your refrigerator door:

http://pointsincase.com/columns/images/fat_guy.jpg

If that doesn't do it, I don't know what will.

MidnightMuse
01-22-2007, 07:19 PM
I have a few snack-food addictions, and the only cure for me is not to buy them.

Ever.

If you can't get passed the cravings, try to imagine the taste of broccoli in your mouth when you think about the ice cream - the cravings will subside shortly. Unless you're addicted to broccoli, too.

Bmwhtly
01-22-2007, 07:22 PM
It's easy, take up smoking.

Whenever you feel the urge for ice-cream, suck in some fire instead.

eldragon
01-22-2007, 07:43 PM
It's easy, take up smoking.

Whenever you feel the urge for ice-cream, suck in some fire instead.

Not. That's about the worst thing you can do.

Unless your goal is rotten teeth, horrible breath and cancer. (To name a few things.....)

Bmwhtly
01-22-2007, 07:48 PM
Not. That's about the worst thing you can do.

Unless your goal is rotten teeth, horrible breath and cancer. (To name a few things.....)Well, it works for me.
Sure it's fatal, but so is life.
I realise of course that it's a futile argument. After all, this society is only about 10 years away from burning smokers at the stake.

The Lady
01-22-2007, 08:19 PM
It's heaven.

No it's hell. It's the straight road to misery. Put on a pair of your tightest jeans this minute. Don't be fooled by loose clothing and elasticated waistbands into thinking it's not having an impact. Own up to it. Even now, things are beginning to get too tight. Pretty soon, you'll hate the sight of yourself. Eat a huge meal before you go to the shops. That way you won't be hungry and it'll be pretty easy to resist buying them. That'll the only way to beat this. Don't keep that junk food in the house.

Opty
01-23-2007, 02:55 AM
I'm a guy.

I don't own a pair of "tight jeans."

dclary
01-23-2007, 02:58 AM
You are so non-metro.

Me... ALL my pants are tight.

jennifer75
01-23-2007, 03:05 AM
This may sound sexist, and I appologize if I offend anybody, but I would have thought Ice Cream binges usually happen with women. PMSing, bad breakups, etc.
It's odd for me to hear of a guy binging like that.

Opty
01-23-2007, 03:10 AM
Yeah, when I bought two at once with my discount card, and that's all I was getting, the cashier (some 19 year old punk) looked at me and asked, "The wife send you out for this?"

I then noticed that...at 19ish-20sih...he was wearing a wedding ring and I then laughed and said, "No, I'm too young to throw my life away like that."

He got a little huffy and asked how old I was. I said, "About 10 years older than you."

Took my receipt, grabbed my bag, and left.

BlueTexas
01-23-2007, 03:55 AM
Go buy a diet book, preferably South Beach or Atkins. Read them. Know this is what you'll have to do to undo the ice cream. This should solve the problem.

The Lady
01-23-2007, 04:00 AM
I'm a guy.

I don't own a pair of "tight jeans."

You will soon, if you keep eating ice cream like that.

icerose
01-23-2007, 04:08 AM
If you still want to eat the ice cream but just control the portions, buy the kids cones. They are tiny.

Fill them up as high as they can without help, it will still be less than you can fit into an average cone. Enjoy it, eat slowly. And you only get one. That's it. One a day. It will be a small serving, it will be satisfying. Don't go for the icecream when you are hungry. Recognize your thirst and hunger pangs and treat them properly. Eat the cone at the end of the day so you have less time to be tempted to go back and eat a second.

It's a heck of a lot safer than a bowl which holds about two or three or even more depending on the bowl of icecream.

Bravo
01-23-2007, 04:20 AM
are you stressed out?

jennifer75
01-23-2007, 04:23 AM
Yeah, when I bought two at once with my discount card, and that's all I was getting, the cashier (some 19 year old punk) looked at me and asked, "The wife send you out for this?"

I then noticed that...at 19ish-20sih...he was wearing a wedding ring and I then laughed and said, "No, I'm too young to throw my life away like that."

He got a little huffy and asked how old I was. I said, "About 10 years older than you."

Took my receipt, grabbed my bag, and left.

Hehehe....good for you.

jennifer75
01-23-2007, 04:23 AM
Go buy a diet book, preferably South Beach or Atkins. Read them. Know this is what you'll have to do to undo the ice cream. This should solve the problem.

Oooooooooooooooooooh sweet Atkins diet........oh what a wonderful hell.

Opty
01-23-2007, 06:21 AM
Well, just got back to the grocery store and...

...I fought the urge to buy the ice cream. Partly because it was no longer on sale and was now $5.60 a 1/2 gallon. And, partly because I don't want to gain any weight (I didn't gain any last week...so I got lucky).

So, I bought some skim chocolate milk to satisfy my sweet tooth (Mayfield really is the best milk ever. You guys in the North and West are really missing out) and a big box of Honey Nut Cheerios (I need to be eating them, anyway, for my cholesterol).

HNC's were the only thing sweet I was allowing myself to eat until this binge, anyway, so it's good to get back on track.

I've decided I'll just allow myself a "cheat day" every now and then for my ice cream.

limitedtimeauthor
01-23-2007, 06:30 AM
Spork, revisit the Real Women Have Curves thread and reread your own posts! :D

Oh, a Cheat Day is good. As long as it isn't every day!

Or, send all your CCCD to me. I'll "hold it for you." <crosses fingers behind back.>

ltd.

C.bronco
01-23-2007, 06:34 AM
Oh, my sporky friend, I went from a size 10 to a size 4 by foregoing dinner and eating a pint of Ben & Jerry's chocolate chip cookie dough. Of course, at that point, my son was newly crawling, mobile and hard to catch, which added a lot of exercise to the mix, but I just may return to my dairy ways as I am reaching a size 6.

Opty
01-23-2007, 06:41 AM
Spork, revisit the Real Women Have Curves thread and reread your own posts! :D

Why? I'm not anywhere near being obese or rail-thin.

And, I'm perfectly healthy.

I just don't want to gain a bunch of fat.

Yet, at the same time...the ice cream...

...it taunts me.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 06:45 AM
Spork, you've gone and done it. I've just gotten up, gone to the freezer, and made myself a big bowl of strawberry ice cream with an excessive amount of Hershey's syrup on it. I blame you, and rap music!

Opty
01-23-2007, 06:47 AM
That's disgusting.

You should be eating Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream. The best part is the thick graham cracker swirl.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 06:53 AM
That's disgusting.

You should be eating Ben and Jerry's Strawberry Cheesecake ice cream. The best part is the thick graham cracker swirl.

I would love to. Except I finished it. Last week.

But YOU'RE the one with the problem, not *I*. So there.

Opty
01-23-2007, 06:55 AM
Misery loves company.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 07:04 AM
Misery loves company.

Are you going to kidnap me and chop off my foot? Is that what you're saying?

tiny
01-23-2007, 07:09 AM
coldstone. sweetcream and sprinkles....... sigh.

limitedtimeauthor
01-23-2007, 07:15 AM
Why? I'm not anywhere near being obese or rail-thin.

And, I'm perfectly healthy.

I just don't want to gain a bunch of fat.

Yet, at the same time...the ice cream...

...it taunts me.

Because, duh, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough addiction?

But we will still love you no matter how obese you get, because you're special... and because we can't actually see you on here.

Some women like their guys to be curvy. :D ETA: Just rereading my post. That reads like a come-on. It wasn't. I meant it like this: I guess there might be some woman somwhere who likes curvy guys. :D

Phew. Thanks Internal Editor. Saved my a** this time. I'll be more thankful for you in the future.

JDCrayne
01-23-2007, 07:19 AM
Spork, you've gone and done it. I've just gotten up, gone to the freezer, and made myself a big bowl of strawberry ice cream with an excessive amount of Hershey's syrup on it. I blame you, and rap music!

And I just put a batch of orange nut bread in the oven. I KNEW I should have stayed away from this thread.

Bronco, you're almost a size six? Come over here little lady, I see some force-feeding in your future...

eldragon
01-24-2007, 05:38 PM
Just a little note to you men - tights are in for men.

TIGHTS.

Welcome to our world.

jennifer75
01-24-2007, 09:29 PM
a big box of Honey Nut Cheerios (I need to be eating them, anyway, for my cholesterol).

I hate to be the bearer of bad news....but isn't it the REGULAR cheerios that are good for cholesterol? Nut the packed with sugar honey nut cheerios?

But good for you for trying!

eldragon
01-24-2007, 09:34 PM
Breaking the Cheerios addiction is easy.

Just eat a bowl and get the stomach flu.

You'll be puking huge gobs of fiberous material for days. Trust me, that's what Cheerios turns to in your stomach.

You'll never be tempted with the taste of nuts of honey again.