PDA

View Full Version : Question Regarding Publishing

JVarvara
01-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm sure this is a question that is asked often, but is it better to have your work published in a somewhat well known zine or a lesser known print magazine? I'm leaning towards the zine only because I want more people to actually read my work. Just wondering what others would prefer.

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 11:19 PM
I'm sure this is a question that is asked often, but is it better to have your work published in a somewhat well known zine or a lesser known print magazine? I'm leaning towards the zine only because I want more people to actually read my work. Just wondering what others would prefer.So, JV, just what's the jist of this problem? I say do what makes you feel accomplished as a writer. There is no easy answer to indifference.

ChaosTitan
01-22-2007, 12:28 AM
If you are trying to build up a resume, some editors/agents don't look at ezines as legitimate publishing credits. Go for the print magazine.

If you are simply trying to get read, and feel that the ezine has a higher readership, go with that.

Or you could do both and try for a well read print magazine. ;)

Maryn
01-22-2007, 12:28 AM
It would depend entirely on your goals. If yours is having this story read by the most people, and the zine's circulation is larger than the print magazine's, the zine would be the right choice for you for this story.

Someone else who's always wanted to see their work in print might never be satisfied with zine publication, no matter how highly regarded. Or perhaps an author's goal might be to build a solid record of publication, in which print weighs in much more heavily than zines. Yet another person's goal might be selling for the highest amount, or to the publication with the greatest status, and so on.

What works for you, works for you, right?

Maryn, not always right but fairly confident about that last line

victoriastrauss
01-22-2007, 01:42 AM
If you are trying to build up a resume, some editors/agents don't look at ezines as legitimate publishing credits.It depends on the ezine. For instance, SciFiction was a very highly regarded ezine that any editor would have regarded as a legitimate writing credit.

- Victoria