Question Regarding Publishing

Status
Not open for further replies.

JVarvara

I'm sure this is a question that is asked often, but is it better to have your work published in a somewhat well known zine or a lesser known print magazine? I'm leaning towards the zine only because I want more people to actually read my work. Just wondering what others would prefer.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
JVarvara said:
I'm sure this is a question that is asked often, but is it better to have your work published in a somewhat well known zine or a lesser known print magazine? I'm leaning towards the zine only because I want more people to actually read my work. Just wondering what others would prefer.
So, JV, just what's the jist of this problem? I say do what makes you feel accomplished as a writer. There is no easy answer to indifference.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
If you are trying to build up a resume, some editors/agents don't look at ezines as legitimate publishing credits. Go for the print magazine.

If you are simply trying to get read, and feel that the ezine has a higher readership, go with that.

Or you could do both and try for a well read print magazine. ;)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It would depend entirely on your goals. If yours is having this story read by the most people, and the zine's circulation is larger than the print magazine's, the zine would be the right choice for you for this story.

Someone else who's always wanted to see their work in print might never be satisfied with zine publication, no matter how highly regarded. Or perhaps an author's goal might be to build a solid record of publication, in which print weighs in much more heavily than zines. Yet another person's goal might be selling for the highest amount, or to the publication with the greatest status, and so on.

What works for you, works for you, right?

Maryn, not always right but fairly confident about that last line

victoriastrauss

Writer Beware Goddess
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.victoriastrauss.com
chaostitan said:
If you are trying to build up a resume, some editors/agents don't look at ezines as legitimate publishing credits.
It depends on the ezine. For instance, SciFiction was a very highly regarded ezine that any editor would have regarded as a legitimate writing credit.

- Victoria

Status
Not open for further replies.