Surely there is a student financial aid option for my son.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
Yay...another chapter in the book called, "My ex-jerk is really a jerk."

Poor Dan - my older son. This kid can't catch a break to save his life. He moved back to WV to go to school. His dad clearly told him that he'd pay his tuition. He told him this because he did not want to divulge his finances to ANYONE by filling out Dan's FAFSA.

He told Dan that he would buy his books as long as he got used ones. He tols him that he would buy him a laptop for school, too, as long as he didn't want something over the top. This was all great and Dan and I were both completely happy with that.

We started the process of the FAFSA, but Dan asked us not to finish it because that would hurt his in-state tuition in WV. He kinda has the choice between the two because he split the year between his dad's house and mine.

Dan is going to a free school, BUT he is also going to another school that is not free. The free school, we just learned, is only free the first semester. (That part makes more sense to me, for anyone who read about it before.)

So now...his dad is backing out of paying his tuition, refuses to fill out the FAFSA, refuses to co-sign any student loans that Dan might be able to get and just a couple of days ago told him that he couldn't afford a computer for him. (The fun part about him telling him that he couldn't afford to help is that he told him this while sitting at the kitchen table picking out the best Brazilian Mahogany floors for the new house they are building.)

Does anyone know of another option for student financial aid? He is on a probationary period with one school because his tuition hasn't been paid. He has until mid-February to get it paid. His dad is obviously wanting to prove some kind of point at the expense of his oldest son's education. Since Dan is only 19, we are being told that he can't do a lot of it on his own.

Last edited:

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
Would Dan have to list his father's income on his FAFSA or could he just list yours? Who claimed Dan on their taxes last year?

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
We didn't because Dan wanted to file his own, but I have a very sneaky suspicion that his dad will.

His dad makes a LOT of money. A lot of money. The only option that I can see Dan having is loans.

As far as I understand it, he would have to list his dad's income to get in-state tuition in WV.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
I'd look into it Carole. Don't assume where financial aid is concerned. Dan's got plenty of time; he should have until the semester is nearly finished to file. Also, check to see what Dan has to do to be declared independent of both of you. What criteria he has to meet.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
See, that is what we have both (hubby and me) told him - declaring independence from us and his dad. Hubby worked with a kid last year who emancipated himself from his mom. His dad is deceased. He says that he just didn't want to always be wondering or worrying over whether or not she would come through. He's going to school with loans on his own now.

I just found a website about military financial aid for students. Dan's dad is n the Navy Reserves. Maybe there's something there for him.

Birol

Around and About
Registered
Reaction score
There are loans available out there that are beyond the normal financial aid for undergrads. Typically, they are designed for students or parents who need additional monies beyond what the FAFSA says they need. Be careful with what you go after. This is one of those areas where you can waste time on disreputable sources.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I think the additional stress of the fact that this kid is so extremely emo isn't making it any easier. Everything is a disaster. The world will cease to exist.

I told him last night, "If something isn't working where you are standing and if you are out of options, GO stand somewhere ELSE!" He wants to look at his situation as hopeless. He told me, "If I don't go to college now, I won't ever be able to go to college."

Um....I didn't go to college until I was 28, but that's just me. Maybe the rules have changed?

I need a drink. And yes, I am fully aware that it is only 7:18 a.m!!! Haahaa!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
[Maryn appears with a nice Mimosa on a silver tray, sets it in front of Carole, and retreats, all without a word.]

ritinrider

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Ok, from someone who sent three kids to college, and for one year all three were in college at the same time, Dan (son, right?) has plenty of options. Yes, he needs to complete his FAFSA and get it in. If he's turned down because he hasn't been on his own long enough, for a time there they wanted the kid to be on his own for 2 years, he may be denied. But you can appeal the denial and explain the circumstances.

FAFSA doesn't really give the kid enough money to complete college, it helps but it's not enough. Thing is, a lot of grants, and scholarships require the FAFSA be completed. So without that his options are going to be limited.

About student loans, unless the rules have changed, parents don't have to co-sign a genuine student loan.

Don't overlook scholarships. You can PM or email me if you think I can help. Just so you know, I'm working on a book about how to get scholarships.

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
FAFSA is a cut and dry thing. Just like me, at age 43 - I'm a full-time college student.

I don't qualify for a dime of financial aid because we have money in the bank. No loans, nothing. It doesn't matter that, when I applied for financial aid - we had no income. It didn't matter that the funds in the bank had a purpose - which were home repairs - such as new wiring (once I paid the $8100 for that, it dropped our balance significantly.)

What I'm saying is : if your son's dad has alot of money - Dan won't be able to get a loan or grant anyway. Nobody can make his dad pay for his college, and anyone knowing his dad has alot of money doesn't help Dan in the financial department.

I see that his dad is a jerk. He feels no responsibility in helping your son go to college. What a selfish loser.

Colleges have financial aid offices for a reason. Dan needs to go park his butt in front of somebody and explain the situation. They might know things we don't.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I am hoping you are right, Pam. It seems that everyone I know had a very difficult financial situation for one reason or another - too much money, not enough money, too young to qualify on their own, etc. - but all of them ALSO found a way. I think they have to be either married or have a child or they have to be 24 to qualify on their own unless they are emancipated.

It's like I know there is a way, but I don't know what it is. All the options that friends have given me won't work for this particular situation. Grrr.

My credit history, thanks to the jerk for running up credit cards in my name and not telling me about it until they were closed out, makes it pretty much impossible for me to co-sign for him either.

I sometimes think that life without drama isn't in the cards for me. Then again, it's all in what you make of it, right?

eldragon

in a van down by the river
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lifeat42.blogspot.com
Carole said:
I am hoping you are right, Pam. It seems that everyone I know had a very difficult financial situation for one reason or another - too much money, not enough money, too young to qualify on their own, etc. - but all of them ALSO found a way. I think they have to be either married or have a child or they have to be 24 to qualify on their own unless they are emancipated.

It's like I know there is a way, but I don't know what it is. All the options that friends have given me won't work for this particular situation. Grrr.

My credit history, thanks to the jerk for running up credit cards in my name and not telling me about it until they were closed out, makes it pretty much impossible for me to co-sign for him either.

I sometimes think that life without drama isn't in the cards for me. Then again, it's all in what you make of it, right?

It's always something.

We just refinanced our house to pay our cars off, so that I can concentrate on studying and school and not have to stress over bills.

Even though we have excellent credit, something showed up on my husbands credit report - a "joint" account credit card that was taken out in 1994 - a year he wasn't even married - by his ex-wife, who fraudently used his SSN. It had her current address and everything. She ran up a credit card to something like $5K and didn't make payments - had 10 - 90 day lates. Either it was charged off or paid off in 2003 - and had never shown up on my husbands credit report before now. We had purchased two cars, and 3 houses since, and this thing was never on our credit history.

So, you'd think it would be easy enough to prove that this credit card was on his report fraudulently, right? Wrong. Credit reporting agencies didn't care. Not that I could get a human on the phone, but I filed for exceptions, nothing happened.

Long story short - after callng the credit card company - which was a run-a-round joke - transferring my husband from department to department and never getting anyone who could help - we ended up having to pay more for our interest rate - just because of that one bill that wasn't even ours.

It cost us alright.

But time was running out, we needed to alleviate our financial stress so that I could go to school and focus.

You can't win for losing sometimes.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The school with have a special staff member who deals with financial aid and scholarship. Talk to them. I have helped many students in a range of situations including non-disclosing parents, disappeared parents etc. There are options. It is also good to make admin at the school aware as early as possible. If the university admin sucks and isn't willing to help the student union can provide advocates. These people are there to help.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
veinglory said:
The school with have a special staff member who deals with financial aid and scholarship. Talk to them. I have helped many students in a range of situations including non-disclosing parents, disappeared parents etc. There are options. It is also good to make admin at the school aware as early as possible. If the university admin sucks and isn't willing to help the student union can provide advocates. These people are there to help.

It's a good thing I took matters into my own hands. This all started over the weekend so there wasn't a lot I could do till this morning.

I called the school. I can't even begin to describe how rude and un-knowledgbable (is that a word??) the woman I spoke with was about her job. She answered the phone, asked if I could hold and THEN left me on hold for 25 minutes. Long distance, of course. When she finally answered again, she told me two things that I knew were incorrect right off the bat, so doom on her and on to the next source.

I called Ed Financial and learned that Yes, Virginia, there is a financial aid Santa for my son and his name is Stafford Loans. Yay! A host of options, actually. So the world is saved from total destruction yet another day and life goes on. Now if I can just get him off his butt to get a job!!

WerenCole

Funny what? Do I amuse you?
Registered
Reaction score
What is all this with Dan and FAFSA? I already got my student aid money for this semester!

(sorry. . . I am a Dan and I am getting student aid, but since I am 25 it is easier for me because my parents aren't involved.)

FAFSA is a giant headache. I hope you get something worked out.

Dan (errrr. . . Weren ;))

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Carole, much college tuition is tax-deductible both at the state and federal levels... I would recommend chunking out a small fee to a tax lawyer, have him contact your ex with the prospect of either paying for the tuition (and taking the tax break for it) or requiring him to divulge so the kid can go to school.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The school shouldn't be allowed to opt out. Not being willing to declare doesn;t mean the dad has the legal right to saddle you with the costs. Of ten enquiries work better and cheaper over email, and there are advocates that are there to ensure you get what it your right.

I got involved quite accidentally (to begin with) in multiple cases where kids were on the verge of dropping out due to financial circumstances, in each case there were substantial money or cost reductions they were meant to have access to but nobody bothered to tell them. One specific case was a boy who didn;t even know who Dad was and so couldn't declare his income, they just turned him down for the blank spot on the form. Not allowed. He got everything free after a little talk with the Dean.

Even if you end up paying they should have to provide you or him with a full explanation of the options available not just the usual brush off. My strategy is be a pest and for every brush off take a name, date and time and move one step up the chain of authority--even if you have to go to the Chancellor (most of whom have an 'open door' policy for any complaints about anything at the school). This works even better by email than phone as it leaves you with a clear record.

Deleted member 42

Fill out the FAFSA.

If your spouse claims him as a tax deduction, but won't provide financial data, then write a cover letter to the school financial aid office explaining that..

The best thing to do is have your son file his own income tax data as soon as possible; which means no one claims him as a dependent.

Financial aid offices are pretty familiar with the scenrio you describe, but they are required by law to have the FAFSA

tela

Registered
Reaction score
Have you looked into a loan through Salie Mae?
I put 3 kids through college and am getting ready to send a 4th. When all three were in school the government paid most of it for all three. As soon as it was only one there was nothing. My daughter is a straight a college student and gets nothing! No grants scholarships only the pathetic 2500 in loans through FASFA.
She turned to Sallie Mae. Through that she was able to take out a 15,000 loan and continue her schooling. The best thing with this is it is all her, I did not need to supply anything not even a signature. They load the kids money for school and deal mostly with Middle America, where the income is not low enough to qualify for aid and not high enough to pay out right. Sallie Mae does not charge interest while they are attending and even delayed payments when my daughter took a semester off after she had her baby.
Oh and I think there is a way to fill out the fasfa with out your ex's info. There may be a clause for uncooperative spouse or something like that. I hope this helps!

Deleted member 42

If you possibly can, don't go with GSL, or student loans and stay far away from SallieMae; the current pay back options are extortionate.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
If you go with loans get advice at your bank. It's like auto-loans, the car-specific loans they offer you at the dealership are your worst option.

Do prod the kid to look at any and all scholarships. There are a lot of them out there and many of them get few applications. I had my education fully covered not by the government but a mosaic of 7 different scholarships, they also look good on a CV.

Carole

How 'bout some ether?
Registered
Reaction score
I know - the FAFSA isn't optional. One of the things I learned today is that I can fill it out for him - his dad doesn't have to. I hadn't yet because first, his dad told him he'd pay the tuition and second, we didn't know what that would do to his in-state tuition status.