PDA

View Full Version : Well that's nice

EngineerTiger
01-21-2007, 05:43 AM
I have just received four email rejections in a single day.

One agent said, "fine writing, imaginative, intelligent but don't see a market."

Another said, "Interesting idea but it is not really my area." This from an agent who lists historical novels as an interest?

While the third said, "Did your kid write this?" That was an ouch!

The fourth was very positive that the book was very well written but doubted any major houses would be interested. Too traditional, not enough hooks or gimmicks.

Ah well, "just keep writing, just keep writing".

blacbird
01-21-2007, 06:48 AM
Not enough "gimmicks." I love it.

caw

SarahinOhio
01-21-2007, 07:14 AM

Wow. That was just cruel.

So sorry about your crappy day. My record is five in a day. I felt like crawling into a small, dark place and never coming out. Of course, a week later, I could smile and shrug about it.

But--since when is gimmicky writing a good thing? And since when did agents send emails on Saturdays, anyway? :Shrug:

johnzakour
01-21-2007, 07:16 AM

Wow, there's no need for that. A simple "no thanks" would have worked just as well.

Oh, you have the right idea, just keep writing.

EngineerTiger
01-21-2007, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the support. I thought the "kid" comment was pretty funny in an exasperated, "well really" sort of way. Actually, the emails were sent yesterday (Friday). I didn't see them until today. I will admit it startled me to get these four all together instead of the usual "thanks but this does not suit our needs at this time".

Provrb1810meggy
01-21-2007, 08:03 AM
As for who said the "kid" comment, he sounds like the Simon Cowell of agenting. That's harsh and uncalled for. As for the rest, those are really positive and personalized, so you must be getting close. Good luck on the search for representation.

popmuze
01-21-2007, 08:44 AM
I have just received four email rejections in a single day.

That's funny. I've been waiting for four potential rejections for the last four months.

maddythemad
01-21-2007, 11:33 AM
Well whoever said "Did your kid write this?" is clearly not the dream agent you would hope to work with. Keep querying and good luck-- all the other comments sounded very positive, so you're definitely getting there!

Jamesaritchie
01-21-2007, 06:39 PM
The "Did your kid write this" probably was uncalled for, but in all honesty, it's very easy to want to write this on three fourths of what you see in any slush pile.

But, really, you shouldn't believe anything an agent or editor says, unless they ask for a rewrite, or give you a referral.

Many agents and editors write glowing praise of things they loathe, and others bash everything. As they say, if you believe the nice comments, you're obligated to believe the harsh ones, as well.

MajorDrums
01-21-2007, 07:43 PM
Ah well, "just keep writing, just keep writing".

That's the spirit!:e2cheer:

kristie911
01-21-2007, 08:00 PM
"Did your kid write this?" is just harsh. That would not be an agent I would want to work with. Ouch. Just ignore that one and keep submitting.

Good luck!

janetbellinger
01-21-2007, 08:08 PM
The comment about your kid writing it was definitely not helpful or kind. Most agents will say it's not their kind of thing but that they are sure another agent will love it. That's more or less the standard reply now and a lot kinder than the one about your kid. Sorry you had to have that happen to you.

Wow, there's no need for that. A simple "no thanks" would have worked just as well.

Oh, you have the right idea, just keep writing.

EngineerTiger
01-26-2007, 04:22 AM
Thanks again for the encouragement, everyone.

FloVoyager
01-27-2007, 04:57 AM
You got more good comments than bad, and the bad was... well... just plain rude. Ignore that one. Somebody was having a bad day and forgot to behave like an adult. Keep submitting.

Susie
01-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Keep trying and striving and you'll get there!

Saundra Julian
01-27-2007, 05:39 AM
What a jerk! He's not much of an agent if he's not any more couth than that!