Why don't we all team up and start a revolution?

dyljos

Banned
Absolute Write Poet Laureate
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
www.storywar.com
Surely there are enough of us (writers) here (online) these days, so that we could team up and form a sort of publishing revolution. We could all vote on which pieces are elligible to publish, and also help people who's novels need a bit more work. Then we use cafepress.com to print and send out these novels for us 'as and when they are needed'. We could revolutionise the industry, and not let agents and publishing houses control our lives.

It wouldn't be self publishing, because only when a piece of work has been voted by the majority as 'ready' would that piece be released.

It would be like a publishing house, but with many,many more opinions deciding the fate of your book, and not just one grumpy (!) editor.

So how about it? Viva la revolution?

Bartholomew

Comic guy
Kind Benefactor
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Bart has a greedy look in his eye.

Yes... Yes, why don't you get about 50,000 or so writers and do this? I will watch in mild amusement as money-desperate agents snap up my work. :)

icerose

Lost in School Work
Registered
Reaction score
The problem is, Publishing isn't broken. If anything too many bad books are getting through.

If you want to know what books aren't getting in. Go and read Slushkiller.

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Okay working with your model - you said "Then we use cafepress.com to print and send out these novels for us 'as and when they are needed'. " Where exactly is cafepress sending our books, and why are they doing us this favour? And who is doing the publicity? And how do the books get on shelves? And . . . um . . . who is paying for all this?

These may sound like leading questions, but they are genuine. I just can't see the big picture you are talking about yet.

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
Why not just create a writers union to represent us? Oh wait, they already have one of those...:D ...bunch of commies.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Searching the forum with show that a thread like this is posted every few months.

New knights turn up with banners and bugles and invite us to join the crusade against the evil windmills. The peasants shrug and go back to farming their wheat.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
We should get together and have cakes.

Dyljos, writers have been doing that for ages. Ultimately, they all eventually found out: They just wanted to write, not run a publishing business.

Let the publishers do their job. Let the agents do their job. Let the lawyers do their job. As for us, just frigging write brilliantly.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
A small number wake up one day and discover they've become publishers... and their former peers now hate them.

PeeDee

Where's my tea, please...?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Threads like this turn up plenty, and mostly they make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I back away slowly.

It's like listening to the guy on the chain gang who's had plenty of hammering railroad spikes, and he's done, and he's going to go eat bacon, and who's with him? and everyone else is backing as far as the chain lets them, so the blood spray won't it 'em.

Do you realize that trying to organize writers into a revolution would be like trying to wrangle a puppy? I'm pretty pleased with myself when I get a short story or some such in under deadline. Nevermind being part of committees and voting on things.

Anyway, why do we need to revolutionize publishing? What's wrong with it?

dyljos

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
www.storywar.com
Toothpaste said:
Okay working with your model - you said "Then we use cafepress.com to print and send out these novels for us 'as and when they are needed'. " Where exactly is cafepress sending our books, and why are they doing us this favour? And who is doing the publicity? And how do the books get on shelves? And . . . um . . . who is paying for all this?

These may sound like leading questions, but they are genuine. I just can't see the big picture you are talking about yet.

cafepress would send out the books because that's what they do. They take a base price from the paying customer, and we the publishers take the rest to fund our hugely popular site which links to these books. We would do the publicity online, by way of press releases and websites.

I just thought it would be cool if we didn't have to deal with people who don't give a rats ass about the first-time writer but instead deal with friends and people who genuinely want to help us publish our work.

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
Anyway, why do we need to revolutionize publishing? What's wrong with it?

Not a darn thing. The good books are getting published and the crap(including my own) is not. I'll be happy to join the ranks of the publushed when my work is good enough. I love the publishing industry!

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
dyljos said:
I just thought it would be cool if we didn't have to deal with people who don't give a rats ass about the first-time writer but instead deal with friends and people who genuinely want to help us publish our work.

I think you're giving authors more charity than they deserve. They're not any more or less human than publishers, agents, and so on. Why do all writers give a rat's ass about first-time writers?

(why a "rat's ass" anyway? I have two rats, I cannot think of why I'd give their backsides to any new writer).

And how do we decide who gets a vote? How do we decide who's a "writer" and who's not? If anyone who puts words on a piece of paper a writer? How do you stop the majority of, say, PublishAmerica authors stepping up and voting a really crummy book through?

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
Here's the thing about the publishing industry. Here's what always makes newer writers go "They hate writers, they hate me."

They don't hate you. But if it seems like the book publishing industry isn't geared toward you....you're absolutely write.

It's geared toward readers.

Is the lumber industry geared toward lumberjacks? No, it's geared toward the people at Home Depot who buy lumber. Lumberjacks provide the wood. (hehehe)

Similarly, you provide the story. If it's something that readers will want, that's good, then it will go through.

Publishing is not designed to fufill writerly dreams, nor to make your work available to the public. Your work is not a custom printed t-shirt. Publishing is about supplying the demand of the readers.

It's important to remember that. Publishing is not about writers, not nearly so much as newer writers wish it were.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I don't want to be published by my friends, they such at editing and distribution. Professional editors may be sharks but they are sharks who write checks. And no, I didn't just call my editors sharks--they are lovely--yes, wonderful. *cough*

Actually most of them are.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
dyljos said:

HAHA.

Hey, take a look at my sig. Both books are by "first-time" authors. And oh yeah, these publishers do care a rat's ass. It's not about "helping us" though.

And I can assure that EVERY published authors here on this very board was a first-time writer at some point.

It's really quite simple. You have a product that is good enough to be consumed, and someone will buy. It REALLY is that simple. So stop sitting on your hands and think why nobody would help you get published and that all the publishers out there are there to stop you; think about what you can do to write something that people you DON'T know will actually want to read.

Last edited:

dyljos

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
www.storywar.com
..failing the whole revolution thing, I was hoping for a thread that people would respond to...:tongue

aadams73

A Work in Progress
Registered
Reaction score
dyljos said:
..failing the whole revolution thing, I was hoping for a thread that people would respond to...:tongue

Oh you big poop-stirrer, you :D

PeeDee

Registered
Reaction score
Website
peterdamien.com
dyljos said:

On these forums, the rarity is a thread that people don't respond to.

Go listen to Rage Against The Machine until you've got this revolution urge outta your system (or until they make you nauseous and annoyed) and then start a thread about boobies or something eternally popular.

(or, you know, something.)

JBI

Banned
Reaction score
Publishing is the only thing really keeping the writing industry in check. If we used your system, we would have many more writers, and too many books in circulation. If you want to have your book printed, without going through publishers, www.lulu.com; Enjoy, hope that helps. As for me, I just write. Let the publisher do the publishing, the agent do the arguing, and perhaps then someone will actually see my work.

Without publishers, advertisement would be impossible, reviews would be too difficult to obtain, and chaos would erupt in the literary world. But nice try.

~JBI

Azure Skye

Huh?
Registered
Reaction score
maestrowork said:
We should get together and have cakes.

And tea!

Slushkiller...is this a site or a book? I guess I'll go and google.:eek:

SpookyWriter

Banned
Reaction score
PeeDee said:
On these forums, the rarity is a thread that people don't respond to.

Go listen to Rage Against The Machine until you've got this revolution urge outta your system (or until they make you nauseous and annoyed) and then start a thread about boobies or something eternally popular.

(or, you know, something.)
Or spend an evening listening to Peter Frampton in his golden years. Now that's how the revolution ended...