PDA

View Full Version : Mae pawb eisiau thread gwreiddiol...

dyljos
01-20-2007, 09:40 PM
..felly dyma fo.. y gynta i ddyfalu beth mae'r thread yma yn ei ddweud sy'n enill y gystadleuaeth.

Pob Lwc.:ROFL:

IThinkICan29
01-20-2007, 09:44 PM
Is that Klingon?

Bartholomew
01-20-2007, 09:57 PM
Murgle murc ddysla pur dryrym.

Medievalist
01-20-2007, 10:15 PM
It's Welsh, and god help me, I don't even have a modern Welsh dictionary, and I'm not up to looking up gwreiddiol, which I know I know (something about roots?), in the GPC, and some of the others just look wrong because, well, they're modern.

But I think he is suggesting that everyone needs a thread that's something about roots, maybe? And then there's something about this being the one to get the prize or maybe the win.

And he wishes us luck.

I need a dictionary . . .

Haggis
01-20-2007, 10:19 PM
It can't be Welsh. I saw a vowell.

Medievalist
01-20-2007, 10:25 PM
It can't be Welsh. I saw a vowell.

Now, see, that's just slander from a Scot. Welsh has lots of vowels. In fact, W is a vowel. Sometimes.

You Scots are just jealous because Welsh mutations make more sense then Gaelic mutations . . .

Haggis
01-20-2007, 10:27 PM
Now, see, that's just slander from a Scot. Welsh has lots of vowels. In fact, W is a vowel. Sometimes.

You Scots are just jealous because Welsh mutations make more sense then Gaelic mutations . . .

:roll:

SpookyWriter
01-20-2007, 10:36 PM

You Scots are just jealous because Welsh mutations make more sense then Gaelic mutations . . .That's right, bring the Irish into it.

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 10:43 PM
Let's blame the Irish. That's always fun. After that, we can curse at the English.

I'm Cajun, so getting "back to my roots" involves making something really tasty for dinner.

Beyond that, I'm Polish and Irish, so either way, I've got good food and eye-watering beer, if I ever decide to drink beer. :)

Haggis
01-20-2007, 10:57 PM
I'm beginning to warm up to that whole "Welsh mutation" thing. I"ll bet there's a good horror story in there somewhere.

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I'm beginning to warm up to that whole "Welsh mutation" thing. I"ll bet there's a good horror story in there somewhere.

"The Welsh are coming! The Welsh are coming!"

"I thought we got them all LAST wave?"

"nossir, these are mutated Welsh!!"

"Meaning..."

"They started Irish, sir."

"Well, they're Welsh now, we'll take 'em down the regular war. Get ready to tell jokes!"

"Aye, sir!"

:D

Azure Skye
01-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Ma-nam-ah-na

Pah-tee-pah-teepee

Ma-nam-ah-na

Pah-tee-pee-tee

Ma-nam-ah-na

Pah-tee-pah-teepee-pah-teepee-pah-teep-pee-pee-deep-deep

Ma-nam-ah-na

PeeDee
01-20-2007, 11:42 PM
!?!?!?!?!?

Are you saying I'm a muppet?

Sweet!

Orc bork bork bork pork stork morc dork work hork hork dorc pork!

IrishScribbler
01-20-2007, 11:49 PM
Let's blame the Irish. That's always fun....:)

Hey now.

Gabriel
01-21-2007, 12:21 AM
Let's blame the Irish. That's always fun. After that, we can curse at the English.

I wouldn't, our crumpets can be quite hard and our tea quite scalding!
:guns:
If worst comes to worst we can always bombard you with dry wit.

veinglory
01-21-2007, 12:25 AM
What is this, Noffice Party?

Birol
01-21-2007, 12:29 AM
Yes, Vein. It does seem more suited to that forum. Moving it now.

Dyljos, I advise you against this practice you've developed of starting nonsensical or "joke" threads in inappropriate forums.

JoeEkaitis
01-21-2007, 01:39 AM
..felly dyma fo.. y gynta i ddyfalu beth mae'r thread yma yn ei ddweud sy'n enill y gystadleuaeth.

Pob Lwc.:ROFL:Don't suppose I could trouble you for a phonetic transcript of the hymn Marchog, Iesu, yn llwyddiannus? If a Welsh priest ever visits, we'd love to sing it in the original language.

writerterri
01-21-2007, 01:41 AM
Ummmm. You just got in troub-le.

Put that in you welsh stew and smoke it.

Gosh that was dumb.

Shut up! I was bored.

KimJo
01-21-2007, 01:46 AM
I just put the OP text into an online translation engine and came up with word salad...:

He is being everyone want to ebb original therefore here is he may be. the t emanated I guess thing he ' is being group to ebb here crookedly you go say who ' is heartburn enill the competition. Each Luck.

Hmm... That may not be correct (online translation thingies being unreliable at times), but it would make a good sentence for a submission to a certain unnameable traditional publisher...

robeiae
01-21-2007, 03:00 AM

Pob Lwc.:ROFL:
Sy hefyd 'n ddigrif!

Jean Marie
01-21-2007, 03:13 AM
Sy hefyd 'n ddigrif!
Say what? Sir, can you please translate that?

writerterri
01-21-2007, 04:11 AM
Say what? Sir, can you please translate that?

He's lying! I did not!

Foinah
01-21-2007, 04:38 AM
The only Welsh I know I cannot spell, only sound out phonetically....
All you Welsh speakers do not be offended that I cannot form words from your nonsensical lumps of consonants.
Here they are :
Of course the standard, Yawkedah! and the more giggly, dooren ebiss undeway - it's a piece of piss, isn't it?

Irish wasn't available in school for me when I was growing up...Belfast is teeming with it now ;)

I do speak perfect nonsense, on request.

dyljos
01-21-2007, 04:41 AM
I like that people are at least reacting to the thread, although not sure why i got a telling off, and I would be happy to translate any of the above requests .. (i.e the one about Jesus on horseback, victorious ;) )

dyljos
01-21-2007, 04:45 AM
Yes, Vein. It does seem more suited to that forum. Moving it now.

Dyljos, I advise you against this practice you've developed of starting nonsensical or "joke" threads in inappropriate forums.

Please name said nonsensical posts.

Rolling Thunder
01-21-2007, 04:47 AM
The mods prefer these type of threads to be posted in 'office party', dyljos. You had it originally posted in 'writing novels'. They prefer to keep the more serious threads there and on topic about....well, writing novels.

Just post your fun stuff in OP and you'll be fine. :)

dyljos
01-21-2007, 05:35 AM
The mods prefer these type of threads to be posted in 'office party', dyljos. You had it originally posted in 'writing novels'. They prefer to keep the more serious threads there and on topic about....well, writing novels.

Just post your fun stuff in OP and you'll be fine. :)

Yeah, Thanks, I guessed. Someone's tone seemed a little high and mighty for my liking. We're all people after all, super moderators or not, there's no need to be patronising.

Pamster
01-21-2007, 05:44 AM
I understand why you got a warning, they are trying to be nice and show you that what you're doing with whimsical threads isn't going to fly here. This is a board about writing, if you want to play games there are forums specifically for that you know? :partyguy:

That's all, but I wouldn't call it a telling off, I'd call it a friendly warning. If you like it here show you value it by taking the warning seriously, I didn't get the reason this was posted or the other thing that Jenna deleted and I have been on all day. :)

Not trying to start a fight, just having a friendly say that I didn't get the humor in this or the other thread. No offense, I just didn't see anything funny. :flag:

ColoradoGuy
01-21-2007, 05:45 AM
If worst comes to worst we can always bombard you with dry wit.
Or English cooking.

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 05:48 AM
Or English cooking.:roll: Or American women pretending to cook.

Medievalist
01-21-2007, 05:51 AM
Yeah, Thanks, I guessed. Someone's tone seemed a little high and mighty for my liking. We're all people after all, super moderators or not, there's no need to be patronising.

It wasn't patronizing; it was a friendly heads up.

You might take a look at this; (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34886) it's got lots of useful information.

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 05:56 AM
It wasn't patronizing; it was a friendly heads up.

You might take a look at this; (http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34886) it's got lots of useful information.I'll be the first to admit that Lisa is a straight shooter. She doesn't hold a grudge and is someone who's help here is beyond compare. So listen to her and you'll stay out of trouble here.

Kudos Medievalist...:D

Rolling Thunder
01-21-2007, 06:04 AM
I'll be the first to admit that Lisa is a straight shooter. She doesn't hold a grudge and is someone who's help here is beyond compare. So listen to her and you'll stay out of trouble here.

Spooky's talking from experience here. :roll:

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 06:05 AM
Spooky's talking from experience here. :roll:I was born in trouble. Thank you

JDCrayne
01-21-2007, 06:12 AM

Thank you! I have had a minor squabble with my husband for years, because I learned the old vowel list as "A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes V and W." He insists that cannot be true.

Medievalist
01-21-2007, 06:13 AM
Thank you! I have had a minor squabble with my husband for years, because I learned the old vowel list as "A, E, I, O, U, and sometimes V and W." He insists that cannot be true.

It's true, even in English.

I'm now trying to resist posting links to Welsh mutations . . .

Haggis
01-21-2007, 06:22 AM
It's true, even in English.

I'm now trying to resist posting links to Welsh mutations . . .

Well, I've found this site (http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.siop-siarad.co.uk/images/cartoonwindinfist.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.siop-siarad.co.uk/mutations_page1.htm&h=145&w=200&sz=2&hl=en&start=8&tbnid=-BvNHsaBzP48eM:&tbnh=75&tbnw=104&prev=/images%3Fq%3DWelsh%2Bmutations%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3 Den%26lr%3D%26safe%3Doff)to be helpful. :ROFL:

Birol
01-21-2007, 07:13 AM
Please name said nonsensical posts.

The one in B&BC that Jenna deleted comes immediately to mind as a "joke" post that was also nonsense.

Jean Marie
01-21-2007, 07:45 AM
I was born in trouble. Thank you
I was probably next to you. Thank you.

Jean Marie
01-21-2007, 07:47 AM
I'll be the first to admit that Lisa is a straight shooter. She doesn't hold a grudge and is someone who's help here is beyond compare. So listen to her and you'll stay out of trouble here.

Ditto.

DamaNegra
01-21-2007, 07:49 AM
Son todos una bola de locos.

Gracias.

Alan Yee
01-21-2007, 07:54 AM

Gracias.

Oh my... *looks around*

Pssst, everyone. Dama's here. Let's all pounce on her before she gets away again.

kristie911
01-21-2007, 08:06 AM
Pssst, everyone. Dama's here. Let's all pounce on her before she gets away again.

I wouldn't try it, Alan. You're libel to get hurt. :D

Jean Marie
01-21-2007, 08:07 AM

Gracias.
Uh...we're all nuts? Thank you :D

kristie911
01-21-2007, 08:09 AM
And, Dama, we're not a bunch of lunatics. Well, they are, but I'm perfectly normal! :D

Jean Marie
01-21-2007, 08:10 AM
And, Dama, we're not a bunch of lunatics. Well, they are, but I'm perfectly normal! :D
Pfffffffffffttttttttttttttttttttt.

kristie911
01-21-2007, 08:17 AM
Oh, I didn't mean you, Jean. Just the rest of them! :D

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 08:17 AM
I was probably next to you. Thank you.So you were the twin that lived. :Hug2:

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 08:18 AM
Oh, I didn't mean you, Jean. Just the rest of them! :DWho? Them?

Birol
01-21-2007, 08:20 AM
No. Us.

Medievalist
01-21-2007, 08:21 AM
Awwww . . . you guy's are makin' me blush.

Here's a nifty guide to Medieval Welsh Mutations (http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~klausner/MUT.html) from my colleague Dr. Klausner. And scroll down on this page to the section on Grammar for Old Irish Mutations (http://www.utexas.edu/cola/centers/lrc/eieol/iriol-2-X.html).

kristie911
01-21-2007, 08:25 AM
Who? Them?

Yes, them.

Chumplet
01-21-2007, 08:26 AM
"The world is crazy, my dear, except thee and me - and sometimes I wonder about thee."

Did I get that quote right?

My neighbour of 35 years is Welsh. I'd ask her for some tidbits but she left for Florida last week. Besides, she married a Scot and probably forgot all her Welsh.

I can get picked on by anybody. I'm Acadian (the Nova Scotia variety), Irish, Scottish and Mi'kmaq. I'm very confused. And I drink. Because I'm very confused.

Alan Yee
01-21-2007, 08:32 AM
My family was a bit of everything in western Europe. Welsh, Irish, Scots, English, German, and French (most of whom fought with one of the others at various points in history). And I'm half Chinese.

You can all aim everything at me. In fact, some people thought I was a dark-haired white person and some did think I looked part Asian. Both my older sister and I have received comments that we looked part Hispanic. Don't know how that happened. My Dad insists that we aren't part Hispanic.

kristie911
01-21-2007, 08:35 AM
That's funny, Alan, in your avatar you look suspiciously like Vin Diesel! :)

DamaNegra
01-21-2007, 08:37 AM
頭が変 !!!!!!

Alan Yee
01-21-2007, 08:43 AM
頭が変 !!!!!!

Sorry to disappoint you. I don't read or speak Chinese, and because my dad's family was Cantonese, we don't write like we speak. Those pesky Cantonese speakers.

Alan Yee
01-21-2007, 08:45 AM
That's funny, Alan, in your avatar you look suspiciously like Vin Diesel! :)

In time, you will see my real face. Just not now. Preferably when I'm not underaged anymore.

DamaNegra
01-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Sorry to disappoint you. I don't read or speak Chinese, and because my dad's family was Cantonese, we don't write like we speak. Those pesky Cantonese speakers.
Actually that's japanese, so even if you could read chinese you wouldn't understand it :D (yes, I know the symbols they use are the same but english and spanish also use the same letters with very different results)

kristie911
01-21-2007, 08:46 AM
Preferably when I'm not underaged anymore.

Honey, no matter how old you are, we'll probably always think of you as underaged! At least I will. ;)

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 08:48 AM
Honey, no matter how old you are, we'll probably always think of you as underaged! At least I will. ;)As will the ladies with purple hair. :roll:

san_remo_ave
01-21-2007, 08:49 AM
:roll: Or American women pretending to cook.'

Hey...

I resemble that remark....

DamaNegra
01-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Honey, no matter how old you are, we'll probably always think of you as underaged! At least I will. ;)
Yeah, I'll be officially an adult in March and I know I'm still going to be underage as far as AWers are concerned :D

Alan Yee
01-21-2007, 08:58 AM

Even when I'm 30 years old, have a bunch of sexy books and stories published, and live with a very special friend who happens to be a macho biker guy?

(Not that the last part will necessarily happen, of course.)

kristie911
01-21-2007, 09:01 AM
Sorry, Alan, you'll still be a kid to me because I'll be like 50 something then.

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 09:04 AM
Even when I'm 30 years old, have a bunch of sexy books and stories published, and live with a very special friend who happens to be a macho biker guy?

(Not that the last part will necessarily happen, of course.):roll: Now why do I suddenly want to start singing

YMCA

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 09:05 AM
Sorry, Alan, you'll still be a kid to me because I'll be like 50 something then.Can we please stop with all the math already. I'm starting to get a blonde headache. Thanks for understanding...:D

Carmy
01-21-2007, 09:42 AM
I speak fluent Welsh but this forum is English. I was taught it was rude to speak in another language when a member of the group couldn't understand what was said. As far as I'm concerned, that goes for written communication, too.

dyljos, I consider every thread on this site original. So, whatever I've won -- you keep it, boyo.

DamaNegra
01-21-2007, 10:04 AM
I was taught it was rude to speak in another language when a member of the group couldn't understand what was said.

I know it's rude, but I don't even understand japanese so I didn't see any harm in looking up 'loons' in japanese and doing a copy-paste :D

And I've had one or two times my brain malfunctions and I post using the wrong language (I'm a native Spanish speaker)

SpookyWriter
01-21-2007, 10:39 AM
I know it's rude, but I don't even understand japanese so I didn't see any harm in looking up 'loons' in japanese and doing a copy-paste :D

And I've had one or two times my brain malfunctions and I post using the wrong language (I'm a native Spanish speaker)I do...domo...and lived in Japan for a year. I've been in forums before where the members paired off into foreign languages. No problemo, si? So Dama, don't fret because you did nothing wrong.

ETA: My last three girlfriends were Ukrainian/Russian and we often had this issue come up when talking to family or friends. Da?

Cheers

dyljos
01-21-2007, 03:32 PM
I speak fluent Welsh but this forum is English. I was taught it was rude to speak in another language when a member of the group couldn't understand what was said. As far as I'm concerned, that goes for written communication, too.

dyljos, I consider every thread on this site original. So, whatever I've won -- you keep it, boyo.

You've won nothing, since you haven't translated the piece for everyone else. Now that's rude!

PS judging by the number of responses, no one seems to think this thread is THAT rude...:Shrug:

Ol' Fashioned Girl
01-21-2007, 08:04 PM

And I'll be 65, with that purple hair Spooky mentioned.

DamaNegra
01-22-2007, 09:22 AM
კომპიუტერულ პროგრამებს ინფორმაციის დაგროვების, შენახვის, გარდაქმნისა და გადაცემისათვის.

JDCrayne
01-22-2007, 09:27 AM

Gracias.

Hai, so desne!

"Everyone is mad save me and thee, and I have my doubts about thee."

DamaNegra
01-22-2007, 09:29 AM
Hai, so desne!

"Everyone is mad save me and thee, and I have my doubts about thee."
It's almost 12 am and I've spent the last 5 hours of my life doing homework, of course I'm not sane.

I mean, I played tag over the msn! How sad can that get??

JDCrayne
01-22-2007, 09:29 AM

(Not that the last part will necessarily happen, of course.)

Let me know when it does, so I can come over with cakes and ale. ;)

JDCrayne
01-22-2007, 09:34 AM
Actually that's japanese, so even if you could read chinese you wouldn't understand it :D (yes, I know the symbols they use are the same but english and spanish also use the same letters with very different results)

Actually, the Japanese have an additional symbol set called "hiragana" which are used for verb endings and a few other things. If the character set you are looking at lacks those, it is Chinese. The Chinese text takes the verb form from context. The usual joke is that Japanese and Chinese people cannot talk to each other, but they can pass notes. (I studied Japanese for three years, but still cannot speak it.)

Foinah
01-22-2007, 10:37 AM
Actually, the Japanese have an additional symbol set called "hiragana" which are used for verb endings and a few other things. If the character set you are looking at lacks those, it is Chinese. The Chinese text takes the verb form from context. The usual joke is that Japanese and Chinese people cannot talk to each other, but they can pass notes. (I studied Japanese for three years, but still cannot speak it.)
Dosite wa yo? Nihongo ga totemo yasassi desu ne! Eigo wa muzukasi to omotte masu!
I don't have a kanji, katagana, or hiragana program for my computer so I typed it in - my grammar may be a bit rusty...it's been a couple of years since I was fluent.

Toda la gente aqui son mesclas en los sesos. Tengo un pensamiento, mélangeons la langue française dans la conversation?

Now that wasn't too grotty, was it?

Carmy
01-23-2007, 09:51 AM
PS judging by the number of responses, no one seems to think this thread is THAT rude...

I didn't say the thread was rude, I said it was rude to post in a language most members don't speak.

Several members are fluent in foreign languages, and English may be a second language for some, but they exhibit good manners by posting in a language other people understand. That's probably why they joined an English-speaking site in the first place.

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 09:58 AM
U koimm dnum umr'd dni Al Bhed dnhiet.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 10:00 AM
U koimm dnum umr'd dni Al Bhed dnhiet.

Hello, Rikku, welcome to the boards. Or are you Cid? There's always a Cid. Must be you, Kupo!

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 10:07 AM
Hello, Rikku, welcome to the boards. Or are you Cid? There's always a Cid. Must be you, Kupo! I love you, kupo-po. :D
You are mistaken, I'm the rabid chocobo.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 10:14 AM
I love you, kupo-po. :D
You are mistaken, I'm the rabid chocobo.

I will SO have Bahumat come down here and step on you.

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 10:15 AM
I will SO have Bahumat come down here and step on you. Not if I Disable him first. Don't make me call the Magus Sisters.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Not if I Disable him first. Don't make me call the Magus Sisters.

.....That's it.

I'm going to go tell the Judges on you. AND the Umbrella Corporation.

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 10:21 AM
.....That's it.

I'm going to go tell the Judges on you. AND the Umbrella Corporation. Ho ho, you think that's it? I can SO take them down once I get to level 35 and stock up on a few Phoenix Down. Those guys are toast.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 10:23 AM
Ho ho, you think that's it? I can SO take them down once I get to level 35 and stock up on a few Phoenix Down. Those guys are toast.

(this is the dorkiest conversation I"ve had all day. Dorkier than the PHENTERMINE thread.)

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you do with your Phoenix Downs anyway. You're just a dream. So there.

(sigh....that broke my heart. Now I'm thinking about that ending, and I'm all bummed out)

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 10:31 AM
(this is the dorkiest conversation I"ve had all day. Dorkier than the PHENTERMINE thread.)

Anyway, it doesn't matter what you do with your Phoenix Downs anyway. You're just a dream. So there.

(sigh....that broke my heart. Now I'm thinking about that ending, and I'm all bummed out)

(We have an excuse. I's 1:30 am where I'm at. :D It is pretty dork though....)

How dare you! I've been trying reallyyyyyy hard to forget that ending! I've moved on to bigger, better things(FF12...) and now you have to reopen that recently healed emotional and psychological scar! I'm stealing all your gil then flinging it at you until you flee!

(Perhaps we SHOULD consider sleep...?)

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 10:37 AM
(We have an excuse. I's 1:30 am where I'm at. :D It is pretty dork though....)

How dare you! I've been trying reallyyyyyy hard to forget that ending! I've moved on to bigger, better things(FF12...) and now you have to reopen that recently healed emotional and psychological scar! I'm stealing all your gil then flinging it at you until you flee!

(Perhaps we SHOULD consider sleep...?)

YOU consider sleep. I've written four thousand words today, I just did another two thousand, and I'm not done yet. I got dem deadlines...!

That ending killed me. Absolutely killed me. NOT a good ending if you're a hopeless romantic deep down.

But I played all the way through FFX-2, just for the perfect ending. And you can find it on YouTube pretty easily. ANd it makes me all misty again. *sniffle*

The whole "throw money at the bad guy!" was as stupid as the guy who you could keep paying higher and higher amounts to. I think we did it once and went "screw this!" and kept going. We had Al-Bhed dictionaries to collect, damn it! We had Blitzball to get good at!

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 10:47 AM
YOU consider sleep. I've written four thousand words today, I just did another two thousand, and I'm not done yet. I got dem deadlines...!

That ending killed me. Absolutely killed me. NOT a good ending if you're a hopeless romantic deep down.

But I played all the way through FFX-2, just for the perfect ending. And you can find it on YouTube pretty easily. ANd it makes me all misty again. *sniffle*

The whole "throw money at the bad guy!" was as stupid as the guy who you could keep paying higher and higher amounts to. I think we did it once and went "screw this!" and kept going. We had Al-Bhed dictionaries to collect, damn it! We had Blitzball to get good at!

That's a good chunk of writing. I only wrote a mere thousand today. I know, I know, slacking...

I'm a closet hopeless romantic. Everyone found out what I really was after I bitched about the ending and stayed in bed for 3 days.

I've only gotten the semi-good ending for X-2 so far (I HATE the Bevelle 100. HATE.) I played through it once before learning about the GREAT ending, so now I'm playing again (with an additional Cat Nip, of course)

I hated that guy. O'aka or something. Penny pinching bastard.
I LOVED Al Bhed. I could speak in Al Bhed. But then, I got rusty. :D Le Blitzball! I still suck at Blitzball, but my love for it will stay forever....

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 10:59 AM
My wife had a notebook full of careful notes. Before we found out we could get Al-Bhed dictionaries in the game and it would transate the dialogue, she had it all mapped out. She could use her rosetta stone notebook and translate any passage of dialogue for us. It was fascinating.

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 11:03 AM
My wife had a notebook full of careful notes. Before we found out we could get Al-Bhed dictionaries in the game and it would transate the dialogue, she had it all mapped out. She could use her rosetta stone notebook and translate any passage of dialogue for us. It was fascinating. Before I discovered all the Al Bhed dictionaries, I found a letter by letter translator online and printed it out. I could read all the dialogue without the dictionaries. It was fun and I'm a geek.:D I have journals filled with Al Bhed entries and everything.

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 11:05 AM
If you want a REALLY heart-breaking video game ending, play the original Shadow Hearts game. The ending to that one was just as bad, if not almost worse, than FFX. It still burns me up, just thinking about it...

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 11:08 AM
If you want a REALLY heart-breaking video game ending, play the original Shadow Hearts game. The ending to that one was just as bad, if not almost worse, than FFX. It still burns me up, just thinking about it... The tiny person inside who secretly loves heart-breakers says, "Buy it!" and is jumping for joy, but my hard exterior says, "Err...I'll consider it." The tiny sappy chick usually wins. :D

If it's worse than FFX, I'll have to play the ending when I have the house to myself (sobfest).

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 11:12 AM
The tiny person inside who secretly loves heart-breakers says, "Buy it!" and is jumping for joy, but my hard exterior says, "Err...I'll consider it." The tiny sappy chick usually wins. :D

If it's worse than FFX, I'll have to play the ending when I have the house to myself (sobfest).

It's a quieter ending, but it's no less heartbreaking. And the fact that you know it's coming doesn't help one little bit...

(also, it's pretty cheap these days. That helps too. It's a bit older now. It's one of the best RPGs I've ever played.)

FFXII is a magnificant game. It's easily the best looking Final Fantasy game ever. And it's set in Ivalice!

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 11:17 AM
It's a quieter ending, but it's no less heartbreaking. And the fact that you know it's coming doesn't help one little bit...

(also, it's pretty cheap these days. That helps too. It's a bit older now. It's one of the best RPGs I've ever played.)

FFXII is a magnificant game. It's easily the best looking Final Fantasy game ever. And it's set in Ivalice! Oh yeah, I'm looking for this one. Cheap AND heartbreaking? It's MINE. I could probably find it at the pawn shop. They have a whole collection of slightly older games for every system in existance.

FFXII is a REALLY good game, and much longer than some of the others. The graphics are INCREDIBLE and the game is so fun to play that I end up staying awake all night to play it. (44+ hours put into it since Christmas, on top of being busier than hell. Ohhh yeahhh.)

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 11:24 AM
It's cheap,it's heartbreaking, it has a lot of really odd humor in it (the sequel has two gay frenchmen who show up now and then to sell you items) and it's actually a pretty long game. You're seventy-five hours into it, you reach a climatic scene that you think is the end.....and then it just keeps on going and getting better.

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 11:28 AM
It's cheap,it's heartbreaking, it has a lot of really odd humor in it (the sequel has two gay frenchmen who show up now and then to sell you items) and it's actually a pretty long game. You're seventy-five hours into it, you reach a climatic scene that you think is the end.....and then it just keeps on going and getting better. 75 hours of playing and then some? With edge-of-your-seat-almost-endings....*dreams of her gaming future* I hate games that finish up after 3 hours or don't have a good plot. And fighter games. I can't play them (the first Inuyasha fighting game was the only expection.)

But a good long game? I get hooked very easily to those (I LOVED the Zelda series. All those fun temples and mini-games. Ahh....)

PeeDee
01-23-2007, 11:30 AM
A wonderfully long game. It's like a game and its sequel rolled perfectly together. Seventy-five hours was just part one. And the second game in the series was even longer and more interesting (I mean, it's got Rasputin and Anastasia in it. The second one that is. How can you go wrong?)

My wife and I took 140 hours to beat the first one. We're thorough but we're fairly quick too.

TsukiRyoko
01-23-2007, 11:37 AM
A wonderfully long game. It's like a game and its sequel rolled perfectly together. Seventy-five hours was just part one. And the second game in the series was even longer and more interesting (I mean, it's got Rasputin and Anastasia in it. The second one that is. How can you go wrong?) Sounds like one of the few games where the sequel is suiting to the story and not just an add-on. Usually sequels are very disappointing.... (Hehehe I named an old cat of mine Rasputin. That brought back some fuzzy memories :D I loved Anastasia. Don't tell anyone *pops collar and clears throat*)

My wife and I took 140 hours to beat the first one. We're thorough but we're fairly quick too.
My only problem with FFX was how hard it was to be thorough. I like to do as much as I can as quickly as I can in games. With FFX, it was almost impossible for me. Ayah.

140 hours sounds like a dream to me. So much playing ahead.

Carole
01-24-2007, 03:24 AM
PS judging by the number of responses, no one seems to think this thread is THAT rude...

I didn't say the thread was rude, I said it was rude to post in a language most members don't speak.

Several members are fluent in foreign languages, and English may be a second language for some, but they exhibit good manners by posting in a language other people understand. That's probably why they joined an English-speaking site in the first place.
(Pssssst...I think the idea was to challenge those who were interested to translate the statement. You know...like...a game?)