YA Horror & Word Count

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
My WIP is about 28,000 words. I'm at the halfway point, maybe slightly beyond. I anticipate the final word count will be approximately 55 to 60,000 words.

Is there a magic number that agents/publishers like for YA novels in the horror genre? I seem to recall reading on one agent's website that they like YA novels in the 60 to 80K range. What would be considered too short or too long? Generally speaking, of course.

HorrorWriter

It's a new dawn. It's a new day.
Registered
Reaction score
In your closet with the Boogeyman's corpse!
Jone,
I read on a writer's blog that her word count for horror YA was 40,000. She has an agent and a contract for several books. I'm sure it varies here and there, but adult word count is about 80,000. I would say no more than 60,000, but it depends on the agent and the publishing house. Write what you want and then worry about trimming it down later. This business is quite subjective. It depends on so many factors. Remember though, that your audience is YA, not adult, therefore the word count it not going to be as long as the latter. Good luck! :D

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
I've read that YA generally falls between 45k and 60k...but I know there have been longer.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Observation and question:
If YA books shouldn't exceed 60K
and novels are about 80K,
What becomes of books that are 60 - 80K?
Is 60K too short for an adult novel?

giftedrhonda

Gifted Goofball
Registered
Reaction score
Pretty much, but it depends on how fabulous the writing is or if the word count is totally suitable to the story...

Some pubs have specific required lengths - most want 300-400 pages...

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
jonereb said:
How many words in a 300 page novel?

The usual rule of thumb is 250 words per mss page, but when it comes to published novels you get a lot of variation due to width of margins, size of type, and leading (space between lines).

In the past, most published SF and mystery novels were right around 200 pages, which made them just about 50,000 words. In the past decade publishers -- and presumably readers -- have developed an appetite for doorstop-sized novels. I've wondered a bit why this is, but I have no explanation.

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
I prefer novels in the 300 - 350 page range, generally speaking of course. I have found that 500 page novels contained filler or too much explanation. I liken 500 pages novels to 3 hour movies. I'm not willing to give any one person that much of my time. The problem with movies is that doing justice to the story is difficult in less than two hours. After watching one of these movies, I feel that I need to read the book to understand the movie. As a result, I rarely watch movies anymore.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
JDCrayne said:
In the past, most published SF and mystery novels were right around 200 pages, which made them just about 50,000 words. In the past decade publishers -- and presumably readers -- have developed an appetite for doorstop-sized novels. I've wondered a bit why this is, but I have no explanation.

I think it's always been more a matter of money than of preferred length. The longer the novel, the more money it takes to publish it, and SF has never been a wildy popular genre. But SF has always been big on trilogies.

Most readers have always preferred long novels, assuming they're also good novels, and one of the most popular SF works of all time, the most popular trilogy, was Asimov's Foundation novels. Behemoths all.

Most of the short novels came about because of the paperback revolution, more than anything else. For a lot of years, short just worked better, was cheaper, and held together better in paperback format.

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
jonereb said:
Observation and question:
If YA books shouldn't exceed 60K
and novels are about 80K,
What becomes of books that are 60 - 80K?
Is 60K too short for an adult novel?

Jonereb,
An adult (literary) novel or a mystery is generally at least 70,000 words. A genre novel (sci-fi, fantasy, horror) is at least 80,000. Most agents will tell you that 60,000 is too short for an adult novel. There are some children's books that exceed word count, i.e. Harry Potter. The Notebook is an adult novel that was quite short. Word count is subjective but there are exceptions. My dark urban fantasy was around 62,500 when I first completed it. Then I had to go back and edit and add a sub plot. It's now about 81,000, where it needs to be. Just write and worry about word count later. :D

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
HorrorWriter, Who told you to add a subplot? Was this something you did on your own to increase the word count? Or was an agent or editor involved? Just curious. It's difficult for me not to keep an eye on word count, knowing that I need to reach at least a minumum in order to be viable.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
Jamesaritchie said:
Most of the short novels came about because of the paperback revolution, more than anything else. For a lot of years, short just worked better, was cheaper, and held together better in paperback format.

That's a good point. Thick paperbacks used to split along the binding and fall apart in the middle, but they don't do that as much anymore. Maybe better glues and production methods made the thicker books possible.

williemeikle

The force is strong in this one.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.williammeikle.com
I sold a YA horror recently that came in almost smack on 55,000 words originally, and I was told it was exactly the right length, if that helps...

Willie

jonereb

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Willie. My WIP is headed for 55 to 60K. I could possibly add a subplot to reach the target word count for adults but I'm afraid it would be filler. I don't like reading filler in other people's novels, why should I expect them to read my filler?

HorrorWriter

Registered
Reaction score
jonereb said:
HorrorWriter, Who told you to add a subplot? Was this something you did on your own to increase the word count? Or was an agent or editor involved? Just curious. It's difficult for me not to keep an eye on word count, knowing that I need to reach at least a minumum in order to be viable.

Actually, an agent asked me to add a prologue so that I could address some issues in my story. I added a sub plot so that other details that were mentioned would make a little more sense, to me and my audience. I don't like fillers, so my sub plot was not one. It was merely a device to make my story cohesive. Hope that helps! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.