Custom calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Dracon

Urban Fantasy Geek
Registered
Reaction score
Back with another question: Do you make your own calendar for your setting? How do readers respond to them if you did?

For my Jupiter moons story I'm thinking of putting in a custom calendar for the people who live on those moons. My primary reason is to avoid having to pick an exact date in our standard for the setting. With a seperate calendar you can show passage of time without refering to actual real years.

My second reason is to give it the setting even more an idea of being seperated from Earth.

Another question is this: I'm planning on explaining how the calendar fits together at the start of the novel. With this I mean a single page explaining the thing before the actual novel starts. I deliberately made an easy calendar to not have people break their neck over the math and stop reading before they actually read the story itself. Is this a good idea or shoud I have someone in the story explain the thing? Or should I just I just refer to the calendar and leave people to interpret it from the context.

finch

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.vocroth.com
I do have a separate calendar -- for me it was a cultural/world building necessity, and as a rule I don't argue with my world building demons. It's not a detail that comes up a lot in my stories, though, in part because of the low-tech setting; seasons and the passage of years are marked and duly noted, but it doesn't tend to be the kind of thing that comes up in conversation. "Mwahaha, my devious plot will hatch on the twelfth of popcicle!" Nah.

Having a calendar explanation page up front is a bit reminiscent of the Tolkien 'On Hobbits' chapter -- that level of detail is really only of dire interest to a tiny niche of your entire audience, and especially assuming a modern North American reader I'm not sure you can get away with that sort of thing anymore. The time you're given to hook a reader, editor, agent, what have you is very, very brief.

If it's an absolutely critical element of your story, I'd probably have an appendix where the chronometrics junkies can absorb all the gory detail, but I think I'd let the characters just use the system, and provide supporting details where it's natural enough to do so.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I have been fiddling with a custom calender for my fantasy work. Oft overlooked or overdone.

I'm making some different assumptions for year, month, and week length, and naming of months and days can give a nice flavor for tying in some back story of famous heroes or legends. Also, my calendar is going to be primarily based on planting and harvest cycles - one of the more common applications of a calendar for pre-industrial settings.

Michael Dracon

Urban Fantasy Geek
Registered
Reaction score
For my calendar I have a few changes in mind compared to the official one. For instance a week will have 8 days, each named after the Sun and the planets, and days not 24 hours long.

Time keeping is not essential to the stories I have planned. But I do want to have some type of time keeping that makes sence(*) in the area where they are in case an indication is needed at some point.

(*) I don't think it's logical to have 24 hour days and years of 365 days in a region where those are effectively reduced to just arbitary lengths of time.

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Michael Dracon said:
For my calendar I have a few changes in mind compared to the official one. For instance a week will have 8 days, each named after the Sun and the planets, and days not 24 hours long.

Time keeping is not essential to the stories I have planned. But I do want to have some type of time keeping that makes sence(*) in the area where they are in case an indication is needed at some point.

(*) I don't think it's logical to have 24 hour days and years of 365 days in a region where those are effectively reduced to just arbitary lengths of time.
The 24 hour clock isn't really arbitrary. Humans and much earth evolved life is based on some kind of circadian rhythm around one earth rotation period. Daylight plays an important function in sleep, feeding, and cell regeneration cycles. Start playing with that, and you could end up with some unique behaviors/ailments that arise. There have been some studies on board existing space craft or stations, but I can't find anything helpful.

Just something to keep in mind.

Michael Dracon

Urban Fantasy Geek
Registered
Reaction score
I've done the research and noticed that a lot of site mention an interesting little tidbit: If you put people in a cave with no way to see the passage of time by means of sunlight they'll slowly shift to a 25 hour cycle.

Anyway, my calendar has a 20 hour work-sleep cycle. One of the things I want to put in the stories is the fact that people got used to the new calendar. That and their bodies have adjusted to the gravity levels of those moons.

The first story involves a group of them returning to Earth and experiencing difficulties adjusting to Earth days and Earth's gravity.

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
Frankly, I've avoided building a calendar because I felt that I'd probably screw it up somewhere along the line. In my current WIP I just have one character mention "this day, the fourteenth of the month." If the reader wants to assume this is a standard earth month with the normal number of days, that's fine. If not, that's fine too. If you want to use your own customized calendar I think that's great -- if a lot of extra work -- but don't get so caught up in it that you confuse the reader. The hardest problem is probably deciding what you want to use as the starting point: Founding of the empire? Death (or birth) of some noted person? Settlement of the colony? The first Dino Run and Beer Fest?

jpsorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
I think that for fantasy works, you should only introduce a weird calendar if the story requires some type of time keeping device. In other words, if it's relevant to the plot in some way. Otherwise, you can just use the seasons, harvest time, etc in order to keep people placed in time. Remember that for fantasy, you should try to keep the number of weird references, terms, etc down to a minimum. This way the reader doesn't get confused or lost in all the new terminology AND when you have new terminology it stands out and becomes important in the reader's mind.

However, for SF, when you're dealing with a planet with its own natural rhythm and cycles, or a spaceship in which there is no natural rhythm or cycle and one needs to be enforced, I think it's good to have a calendar. In SF, you "typically" (and I know people are going to argue with me on this) don't have as many strange terms for the reader to deal with, so having a little local flavor such as a calendar doesn't become hard for the reader to keep track of.

If you think you'll need to keep track of time in your story at some point because of the plot, then definitely introduce a calendar, and if it's SF try to make it match the local environment. If your current story doesn't really need it for the plot, ask yourself whether it's really that necessary. If not, maybe introduce it in a later story in the same world, when it IS necessary.

jpsorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sff.net
Michael Dracon said:
Another question is this: I'm planning on explaining how the calendar fits together at the start of the novel. With this I mean a single page explaining the thing before the actual novel starts. I deliberately made an easy calendar to not have people break their neck over the math and stop reading before they actually read the story itself. Is this a good idea or shoud I have someone in the story explain the thing? Or should I just I just refer to the calendar and leave people to interpret it from the context.

Ugh! Definitely try to weave the calendar into the story naturally. I wouldn't go for a "You know how this calendar works, Bob . . ." kind of explanation. Just refer to the calendar when necessary in natural conversation and leave it to the reader to figure it out. I would strongly suggest NOT putting a description of it at the beginning of the story. If you feel that strongly about adding the calendar description to the story, put it at the end, like an appendix.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Scribble, scribble, scribble
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.crossquarter.com
I'm surprised at the number of stories that insist a day has 24 hours, or a seven-day week. The former is post-hoc, the latter artificial.

The hour, minute, & second are arbitrary. The Earth month isn't linked clearly to cycles of Luna.

There's the day (one planetary turn) & the year. Other than that, make it up.

I had the chance to experiment on myself for a month, sleeping when tired & getting up when rested. I fell into a 30-hour cycle, containing two sleep periods of six & four hours.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
In one of my novels--fantasy w/ a hint of sci-fi--the MCs are on another planet from earth, but use the same frame of seconds, minutes, & hours as Earth. The planet only has a 20-hour day using that system, so I split it in thirds (roughly), so that a natural sleeping cycle would be seven hours, with 13 hours awake each day. They adjust work & school length for that, & in the course of 365 Earth days, it all comes to about the same amount of work/play/sleep.

When they go to a parallel world on the same planet, the planet moves at the same rate there, so they can use their own system of time-keeping, but the natives have their own. Their year is based on the cycle of the planet going around the sun (sun cycle) & the day based on the moon going around the planet (moon cycle). Then they just use fractions for the rest of their times or describe where the sun is. "The sun was rising when I made it to the market." "You have a fifth of the moon cycle before Joe comes." Since the audience is coming in knowing that there are 20 hours to a moon cycle, they can figure out the time if they so desire, or they can just say, "Oh, a fifth of the day."

Michael Dracon

Urban Fantasy Geek
Registered
Reaction score
Anthony Ravenscroft said:
I'm surprised at the number of stories that insist a day has 24 hours, or a seven-day week. The former is post-hoc, the latter artificial.

The hour, minute, & second are arbitrary. The Earth month isn't linked clearly to cycles of Luna.

There's the day (one planetary turn) & the year. Other than that, make it up.

That last line is exactly what I used. Since they are living on the moons of Jupiter I based the calendar on that planet. With that I bumped into a small problem though, which is the fact that Jupiter does one cycle around its own axle in just under 10 hours, which is way too short to be called a day.

So I am now stuck with the following choices:
1: Take 2 cycles and call that a day.
Pro: I can introduce a system similar to AM and PM as extra detail
Con: 20 hours is still a bit short for a day

2: Take 2.5 cycles and call that a day.
Pro: This would make a day almost 25 hours, which is both closer to 24 hours and works out with the 25 hour 'blind' day cycle research mentioned above
Con: I'm now doing timekeeping with half cycles, which is probably too complicated for the average reader

3: Don't bother with this at all and just put in a few vague references to cycles (like: "It's going to take another 15 cycles to get to that asteroid"), parts of a cycle (for timekeeping in the order of magnitude of a few hours) and maybe an arbitrary number of a Jovian year (which means the number would be very low since a year on Jupiter is almost 12 Earth years) and leave it at that.
Pro: Easiest for the reader
Con: To me it feels like a cop-out, since way too many other sci-fi stories use this 'trick'

I've already decided to not mention hours, minutes and seconds and instead go for 1/10th, 1/100th and 1/1000th part of a cycle instead [which in turn brings me to the added task of finding proper names to reference to those instead of using these types of numbers in the text].

At the moment, given the current reaction here, I'm actually thinking of going for #3 though and see how the fans react to it. Then, if they ask for it a lot, I will add the info as an appendix in the second story.

Last edited:

Pthom

Word butcher
Registered
Reaction score
The units of time we are familiar with are indeed arbitrary, but they're based on natural phenomena.

As mentioned, the day is one planetary rotation relative to its star, the year is one planetary revolution about that star. For Earth, there are 365.25 (approximately) rotations per revolution.

I don't know why we have an average of 24 hours per day, other than the dozen was a common idea about the time clocks were invented. But unless you're located between the tropics of Cancer and Capricorn, the periods of light and dark that make up a day equal only twice a year. The month and week we're so familiar with are absolutely arbitrary, although the month is loosely based on the lunar cycle. If the month were absolutely based on the lunar cycle, there would never be an equal number of them in a year, so the current model is workable.

As for seconds, minutes, hours...completely arbitrary...but since the second is a unit that is now well ensconced in science and engineering, I think we're stuck with it for as far into the future as I can envision. As to why minutes and hours are multiples of 60 seconds, 60 happens to fit nicely into the circle divided into degrees and minutes and seconds, which closely relate to pi, a number about which there is no question.

Seems to me that unless you're writing about non-humans (or humans who, for many, many generations have lived somewhere other than Earth), it makes sense to stick with conventional time keeping (close to a 24-hour day). On Earth, that's a no-brainer. Weeks, and months can be anything but I think there is no doubt humans would develop similar periods just to keep track of the passage of time. ("Last hexad, I took a 4-triad break to have my new ears installed.")

JDCrayne

Indonesian Yak Keeper
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.pacificsites.com
jpsorrow said:
Remember that for fantasy, you should try to keep the number of weird references, terms, etc down to a minimum. This way the reader doesn't get confused or lost in all the new terminology AND when you have new terminology it stands out and becomes important in the reader's mind.

Remember "Battlestar Galactica", where the dialog had the space ship moving in "microns"? Knowledgeable fans laughed themselves sick over that one.

Michael Dracon

Urban Fantasy Geek
Registered
Reaction score
I know all too well what imporper indications can cause from mess that followed the infamous "It'll run .5 past light speed" quote on Star Wars Episode 4 by Han Solo. The main question being what this .5 thing meant, especially since it should indicate that the Millenium Falcon was fast. They later explained this one by introducing it as a class of hyperdrive. The closer to 0 the faster it was. However, many authors after that still made the mistake of thinking it's the higher the faster (Darth Maul's ship in the Cross-sections book is one of those mistakes, it being a courier vessel with a class 3 drive while class 2 and 2.5 is common amongst a lot of civilian ships that don't really need to be fast).

The same movie also has Han Solo refer to his ship as the only one being able to do the Kessel Run in under a certain amount of parsecs. A parsec, like a lightyear, is a distance and not an amount of time. When they found out they explained it like this: The Kessel Run is a race that goes through a region of black holes. In order to get through in one piece you naturally have to steer clear of those black holes as much as possible. If your ship has a faster engine it can get closer to the black holes without being sucked in and you can take a shorter route. Hence: short path in the Kessel Run equals fast engine.

So I'm very familiar with the pitfalls of chosing the wrong term. And I'd rather avoid doing these types of 'clean-ups' or any other ret-conning.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I have a calendar in one of my fantasy stories, but I'm trying to be relatively subtle about it. However, since the various chapters start with a log entry for the ship, the dates are obviously the first thing written. This gives the reader an idea how long the story is taking place over without having to beat them around the head and shoulders by saying,<cue announcer voice> "Three months ago, we last saw our heroes . . . "</end announcer voice>

Michael Dracon

Urban Fantasy Geek
Registered
Reaction score
I was also planned to go for the captain's log routine.

One other problem I'm now bumping into is an indication of how old someone is. A year on Jupiter is about 11.8 Earth years (or so, from memory). This would result in some interesting lines of text like for example: You haven't reached the legal age of 1.6 years old yet to be allowed to drink alcohol.

Though I think I'm going to solve that one by putting in months. Since the difference is almost a factor 12 it would mean that indicating age in months would result in almost exactly the same numbers as in Earth years (provided I go for 12 months in a year).

FalconDance

Registered
Reaction score
Couple years ago I came across a program on the web that generated a calendar based upon the specifics you entered (number of moons, generalized planetary type, # of days in the week and month as well as months in the year, etc.) I thought about it for a while and input the requisite factors..... I have that calendar, complete with moon phases and probable weather patterns, tucked away. I'm thinking of using it in a new WiP as an alternative to the usual Terran form.

Why not use a custom calendar if the project calls for it? As long as it isn't a mysterious, never-explained convention that makes no sense whatsoever to the story, I think it would be a valuable resource/plot device.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
I thought about creating a separate calender for my world, with the names of their gods for the months, but then I didn't feel like having to include a glassary explaining the Rabator* is January and Kalitorg* is February, etc.

*not the real names of the gods

Michael Dracon

Urban Fantasy Geek
Registered
Reaction score
My setting is pretty close to home. The only change in names I'm planning is with days of the week. I want to switch to using planets (except for Jupiter itself) and the sun for those. This should give me my 8 days per week (since Pluto isn't officially a planet any more).

Status
Not open for further replies.