Thanks for the info

ThePoetess

Registered
Reaction score
I was about to go to contract With PA, but decided to do some research on them. Needless to say I found a ton of negative stories, and one of them stood out(Frank B Baron's article). It summed everything up quite nicely, while giving me a good chuckle. It also had the link to this message board, which was the final nail on the head.

So, I just wanted to say: thanks guys!

JimmyD1318

THE POPCORN MONSTER!
Registered
Reaction score
They saved me also,and welcome to the board. They have a lot of cool things here, so I hope you enjoy your time here.:welcome:

JennaGlatzer

wishes you happiness
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jennaglatzer.com
Woo hoo! Glad you checked around and found your way here. Frank is a supermod here (his username is aka eraser)... he'll be so pleased to have helped steer you right. :) Good luck finding a great publisher for your work.

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Poetess!:welcome: Glad you made it to AW. You will really enjoy this site and probably learn a few things along the way. I know I have!

Saundra

Pamster

Summer time Blues
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to Absolute Write The Poetess! Good luck with your writing too, glad you found us. :D

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW, Poetess. I hope you'll stick around, and congratulations on seeing PA for what it really is before signing a contract with them. I wish you all the best with your writing and publishing endeavors.

:)

Arkie

a reader's ear and a writer's heart
Registered
Reaction score
Publish America words their releases such that unless read carefully misleads their authors (or potential authors) into thinking their books will be made readily available for public consumption "from sea to shining sea."

When the author's book is printed, PA sends out with the two complimentary copies, a six-page release on marketing. Near the end of that release is the following paragraph:

"We then announce your book to the industry, listing it with Bowker's Books-In-Print, with wholesalers like Baker & Taylor, Brodart Co., and Ingram, and we make it available through the Publish America website, and online bookstores such as Amazon.com, Borders.com, BN com, Chapters.com, and through the 50,000 corresponding bricks and mortar stores. Your book will be available through all of these channels within six weeks from the time you receive your complimentary author copies."

Anything wrong with that paragraph? Looks pretty good to me. The key word is "through." Notice the key word in line five and line six. The trick here is that the book is indeed available "for order" THROUGH all those channels, but that matters not, since you are unknown. There is no "in-store" promotion or placement, no catalog, no regional or national advertising, other than what the author undertakes on his/her own behalf.

That is the scam--not illegal--but morally reprehensible, because some organizations like Barnes and Noble do not as a general rule stock publish-on-demand books in their brick and mortar stores. Of course, PA will argue that they are not a POD organization, but they are indeed and to state otherwise over the internet seems to me to constitute fraud under FCC rules.