Writing Blahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I feel very blah about everything I write lately... I hope the feeling passes soon... Has anyone else went through this?

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
Going through it now meself actually. But I've been here before, and I do know that it passes. So chin up, brainstorm77, chin up!

"Grey skies are going to clear up. . ."

SarahinOhio

In My Blue Period
Registered
Reaction score
Website
sarahhina.blogspot.com
God, yes.

It's never been this persistent, though. I feel like I'm trying to squeeze dust from lemons (see, even my metaphors don't make sense). I'm trying not to be so hard on myself about it because you've got to have confidence that this, too, shall pass. Otherwise, panic sets in.

Maybe try some free writing exercises, or write in a journal to loosen your writing muscle. Watch a really inspiring movie, or pick up an old favorite to read, again. Anything to not become paralyzed by it.

Or, if that doesn't work, spend an inordinate amount of time on AW. ;)

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Hugs...to you. Look at my sig line. Most of those books are hung up after a few chapters. That comes from getting depressed. The book that's on ice is 450 pages long, and I don't EVEN want to read or edit it. I threw it in the trunk.

The only reprieve thus far has been a request to gather up pictures, bios and promotion packages for two sold books. It still means I have to get back to writing afterwards, and I'm getting nervous about it.

Ever have several ideas for novels and can't decide which one might make it? And which ones will be wastes of time? I labor, I sweat over the premise of each book to the point of nervous breakdown. This in itself blocks my energy to see a project through.

I know it's temporary. I have found that when this type of depression or blockage assaults me, I go right to my library and pick out an exceptional book to read. When I find a master of the craft I admire, it really inspries me to get back on the road and shifting gears again.

I'll also seek out success stories on websites, and there you will find exactly the same feelings, doubts and dejections that you are feeling now. It is a normal process. Although it almost makes us feel quite inadequate and abnormal.

Tri

Arisa81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
pacificpurple.blogspot.com
Been there for sure. Much of last year in fact. And I didn't bother pushing myself, which was probably a big mistake I let myself get lazy. This year has begun well for me though. I find having goals helps and I have to know what I am going to focus on each day, otherwise I seem to act like I have nothing to do lol. I am really very bad at editing my work, so I often don't like things I've written. I need to push myself to edit better.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
brainstorm77 said:
I feel very blah about everything I write lately... I hope the feeling passes soon... Has anyone else went through this?

I don't know any writer worth the title who doesn't go through a fit of "everything I write is crap" mood every now and then. Sometimes everything I write IS crap.

Right now I'm trying to get the juices flowing again to go through another round of query letters. That's never a happy process, but to get where I'm trying to get to they're a necessary evil. Additionally, I'm trying to edit a friend's novel and then write a new book proposal for my nonfiction work.

But right now I'm not feeling any of it. I just started a new job and I'm tired and I don't much feel like writing.

Stuff happens. :Shrug:

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I think the mood is lifting slightly. I wrote a paragraph yesterday... then i stopped .....

Saundra Julian

A work in progress
Registered
Reaction score
I'm there now!
It's so sad when you'd rather clean the cat's box than write!

AnnaC

Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying to write my second novel for three years now. I don't know what exactly is going on with me! The very first novel I ever wrote was published in 2004, did well enough to get in the top ten of the preditors and editors poll, too. I've even been able to crank out about six short stories, but this second novel is eluding me. It's been so very frustrating.

Knowing that other authors have gone through this and overcame it certainly helps. Thank you all for sharing our ups and downs.

Status
Not open for further replies.